• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes milestones and records thread

aussie tragic

International Captain
Stop putting so much pressure on him...797 runs in the series let's him equal Bradman's 6996 runs....the other 197 runs can be icing

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For Smith to break the record he still needs 700 runs. To get that you're looking at at least one double ton and two more centuries and a couple of half centuries. Given he's got 4 tests to get that in its ridiculously unlikely. Which puts Bradman's feats into perspective.

Starfighter

For some perspective Bradman's score's in 1930 for 974 runs:

8 and 131
254 and 1

Hammond's scores in 28/29 for 903 runs:

44 and 28
200 and 32
119* and 177
38 and 16

It's an utterly insane amount of runs. You need not just centuries, but big ones.

mr_mister

He's not making over 974 runs. Of the three improbable predictions it's actually by far the silliest.
Why so sure? Tubby Taylor of all people threatened it in '89. Smith a far better bat, and scored 769 in a 4 match series once.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Edited since then. Smith got 769 in the 4 tests against India(without a double) so I don't think it's as impossible as LT is saying.

I'm sure he won't get there, but itl be interesting how close he can get

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook got 766 in 10-11 and it felt like he was scoring never ending runs.

Topping 900 would be insane. You'd have to think he'd have at least one match where he fails though (wishful thinking???)

Jarquis

Topping 900 would be insane. You'd have to think he'd have at least one match where he fails though (wishful thinking???)
I'd be grateful for one inning tbh

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Cook suffered a bit from three innings wins. You’d expect Smith to get less support than the likes of Trott, KP and Bell gave in 10/11, and thus probably more second goes with the bat. Agree it’s extremely unlikely though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook suffered a bit from three innings wins. You’d expect Smith to get less support than the likes of Trott, KP and Bell gave in 10/11, and thus probably more second goes with the bat. Agree it’s extremely unlikely though.
More second goes would suit Smith more too. He's the kind of guy who's more likely to back up in another innings from scratch and make a ton than go on and make a big double in a single innings.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
More second goes would suit Smith more too. He's the kind of guy who's more likely to back up in another innings from scratch and make a ton than go on and make a big double in a single innings.
Based on what? Wasn't this his fourth second innings century ever?

Anyway I don't intend going around in circles all day over this. If he makes 975 runs or more in this series I will eat several hats. Just have to wait to see. If I'm proved wrong then fine.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on what? Wasn't this his fourth second innings century ever?

Anyway I don't intend going around in circles all day over this. If he makes 975 runs or more in this series I will eat several hats. Just have to wait to see. If I'm proved wrong then fine.
Based on only this match and I've completely ignored the rest of his career

tbh I knew I was wrong the second I posted that

Spark

Global Moderator
Cummins averaging 21.6 is a pretty incredible record, just quietly, given the nature of pitches he’s often bowled on.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier, but is Siddle the first Australian quick to play in four ashes series in England?
Lillee and McGrath managed three each, ditto Lindwall and Miller, I think.
tbf I have no idea before WW2.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Almost certainly not a record, but Rory Burns batting on all five days of an ashes test must put him in some pretty strong company.