Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Any England or Australia Fans Who Don't Enjoy The Ashes?

Johnson in that series was flat out the best fast bowler I've ever seen. He just blasted guys out with pure pace on what were largely unresponsive wickets. Closest thing I've seen to it was Warne in 05, taking 40 wickets through sheer bloody minded excellence.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    ryan harris should have been an atg. he's in the top 5 best quicks i've ever seen in my lifetime.

no particular order except for the first 2; mcgrath, steyn, bond, harris and shoaib.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I can't say I'm that bothered by this years Ashes . Back when Australia were rampant I was a total Ashes fanatic ...cherishing the occasional England dead rubber win or rain draw like it was a gilded Trophy . However after England started winning a few , I felt our Cricket boards were milking the rivalry a bit too much for profit .

I think it was that back-to-back Ashes(and ODIs) in 2013 that changed my mind . It seemed like we were irrelevant in the World game to me ..playing exhibition games for crowds while the rest of the cricket carried on without us ...like the Harlem Globetrotters or something .

After that I started being a bit more critical about the whole Ashes 'rivalry' concept . I'm sure we can all agree that 2005 was an outstanding contest but since then . has there even been a truly great series ? Or even a very good one ? One side is dominant for the most part . We've seen some great batting and bowling ...but rarely at the same time . I still enjoy the cricket ...but it doesn't feel special enough to be put on the pedestal like it is

Of course winning the World Cup at long last , is also a factor for me . If we end up losing this series ,like other World Cup winners before us , I personally won't give a crap . Just a cost of doing business .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Lol

Ok
    Flem, NZ's best cricketer just won the WC for England.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeyB View Post
    I can't say I'm that bothered by this years Ashes . Back when Australia were rampant I was a total Ashes fanatic ...cherishing the occasional England dead rubber win or rain draw like it was a gilded Trophy . However after England started winning a few , I felt our Cricket boards were milking the rivalry a bit too much for profit .

I think it was that back-to-back Ashes(and ODIs) in 2013 that changed my mind . It seemed like we were irrelevant in the World game to me ..playing exhibition games for crowds while the rest of the cricket carried on without us ...like the Harlem Globetrotters or something .

After that I started being a bit more critical about the whole Ashes 'rivalry' concept . I'm sure we can all agree that 2005 was an outstanding contest but since then . has there even been a truly great series ? Or even a very good one ? One side is dominant for the most part . We've seen some great batting and bowling ...but rarely at the same time . I still enjoy the cricket ...but it doesn't feel special enough to be put on the pedestal like it is

Of course winning the World Cup at long last , is also a factor for me . If we end up losing this series ,like other World Cup winners before us , I personally won't give a crap . Just a cost of doing business .
    Out of interest, if the Ashes isn't relevant to the world game, what is? A bilateral ODI series between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe? The Ashes is it. Nothing else compares with it. The rest of the world tries hard to confect the rivalry which comes naturally to this contest. But they can't. Not up to it. Without the Ashes, cricket dies. In fact, without, it would have been still-born.

Which is why the rest of the world owes Australia in particular (and England to a far, far lesser extent) an enormous debt of gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Flem, NZ's best cricketer just won the WC for England.
    this is very harsh on trent boults dropped catch given he followed it with a clutch over to force the super over after the dharmathrows.

the ashes are fun, but no one outside of england and aus looks forward to them any more than they look forward to other major series. indians don't care more, the south africans don't care more and im far more invested in getting england down here for their routine shellacking than the ashes.

im looking forward to the series because i love cricket, but as ever it's nice to see lesser nations like england and the west island get insecure about their place in the world when the world isn't gagging for the ashes.

that is as it should be tbh. this series is for two countries and is special to them. anyone from elsewhere saying they're just as invested as they would be if it were their own country in a big game just enjoys sore knees and a full throat.
    PikeyB likes this.

Banned
    All Flem has demonstrated here is his lack of love for and knowledge of cricket. I mean, we all knew that was the case already, but it's sad he had to confirm it all over again.

Of course, when the Rah Rah WC is on, the Kiwis will expect everyone to have some interest in it, which is laughable.

I love the Ashes, but "enjoy"? Seldom whilst it's on.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Gob
    i masturbate while watching the ashes
    zorax likes this.
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    It's just been so incredibly predictable.

Johnson aside there's been nothing exciting happening in the Ashes for ages now, not just in terms of series results but also in terms of individual performances.
    zorax likes this.

Banned
    Agreed. Needs more DLF maximums and the unpredictability they bring

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    What would be unpredictable is if you made an insightful and original post.

On that note, you have been awarded 5 Nixons for "Repetitive posting".
    zorax likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    What would be unpredictable is if you made an insightful and original post.

On that note, you have been awarded 5 Nixons for "Repetitive posting".
    Now this is quality moderation
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It's just been so incredibly predictable.

Johnson aside there's been nothing exciting happening in the Ashes for ages now, not just in terms of series results but also in terms of individual performances.
    Smith?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information