Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Any England or Australia Fans Who Don't Enjoy The Ashes?

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    All the posters from lesser-nations kind of just proving Burgey right with your reactions here tbh
    Burgey and morgieb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    Love the Ashes as a neutral but it has suffered these last ten years from a dearth of charismatic ATGs. Smith is the only legit modern great in there but the guy's a personality vacuum.
    Johnson's struggles and then subsequent overcoming of those struggles was probably the most dramatic sequence of events we saw in the last decade. Went from the laughing stock to having the last laugh and ending KPs career in the process.

Though honestly I wish KP kept playing. That way I wouldn't have had to hear him bleat on in the commentary box.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    Love the Ashes as a neutral but it has suffered these last ten years from a dearth of charismatic ATGs. Smith is the only legit modern great in there but the guy's a personality vacuum.
    I think there'll at least be three obvious panto villains for the Brain Dead Army to have a crack at this time around.
    GoodAreasShane likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Johnson's struggles and then subsequent overcoming of those struggles was probably the most dramatic sequence of events we saw in the last decade. Went from the laughing stock to having the last laugh and ending KPs career in the process.

Though honestly I wish KP kept playing. That way I wouldn't have had to hear him bleat on in the commentary box.
    The rest of the England players ended KP's career. Johnson ended Trott's career. Could probably blame Swann leaving on him a bit too.

International Debutant GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Johnson 2013-14 was absolutely the best fast bowling I have ever seen. There is nothing like the visceral thrill of seeing a bowler bowling absolutely flat out and blasting through a side.
    Arachnodouche likes this.
    Allegedly banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Usman probably figured he could use the zing bails to deflect the ball over the fence
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    Johnson 2013-14 was absolutely the best fast bowling I have ever seen. There is nothing like the visceral thrill of seeing a bowler bowling absolutely flat out and blasting through a side.
    It was at a level rarely seen across an entire five test series.

Funny when you look at the best fast bowlers in Test history no one would think about Johnson and Ryan Harris but for that one series they were probably about as good an opening bowling pair as there has ever been.

There were even some pretty flat wickets that series but it didn't make a lick of difference to Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It was at a level rarely seen across an entire five test series.
    Absolutely, I have no doubt you would have seen stuff on par and better, but I am considerably younger. I imagine I would have absolutely loved the Lillee-Thomson days had I been around

Oh I don't know that I have tbh. Not by a single bowler (though Harris of course was great too). I have vague memories of the mid-70s and Thommo pre-shoulder injury just breaking bones and smashing stumps, but I was really young then.

The Windies in the 80s hunted as a pack, but Johnson in 13/14 was just balls-to-the-wall pace for five whole tests, with that horrible, slingy action that makes the ball so hard to pick up when he gets it right. That **** is a nightmare to face. It's the only time I've felt sorry for a Pom, their awful climate aside. They just hjad no clue what they were walking into, notwithstanding he'd bowled really fast and really well in the ODI series just after the away Ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Funny when you look at the best fast bowlers in Test history no one would think about Johnson and Ryan Harris but for that one series they were probably about as good an opening bowling pair as there has ever been.

There were even some pretty flat wickets that series but it didn't make a lick of difference to Johnson.
    They were Lillee and Thomson for that summer.

And on Harris, incredible cricketer. In the earlier days he was little more than a fringe seamer for the Redbacks, probably 130 with a stiff breeze behind him. Then he hit the weights, gained a couple extra yards of pace. Then SACA screwed him over by only offering him a pissy low tier contract, he moved up north to Queensland and the rest is history.

He may have been injury prone but his peak was immense. Brilliant bowler.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Oh I don't know that I have tbh. Not by a single bowler (though Harris of course was great too). I have vague memories of the mid-70s and Thommo pre-shoulder injury just breaking bones and smashing stumps, but I was really young then.

The Windies in the 80s hunted as a pack, but Johnson in 13/14 was just balls-to-the-wall pace for five whole tests, with that horrible, slingy action that makes the ball so hard to pick up when he gets it right. That **** is a nightmare to face. It's the only time I've felt sorry for a Pom, their awful climate aside. They just hjad no clue what they were walking into, notwithstanding he'd bowled really fast and really well in the ODI series just after the away Ashes.
    Easily the nastiest fast bowling performance I've watched in real time. I reckon Holding against Eng back in '75 might have been similarly intimidating, if that over to Brian Close is anything to go by. Malcolm Marshall was a terror by all accounts when the WI came calling to India after the 83 WC defeat.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Johnson's spell in Adelaide after lunch will always stay in my mind. Nearly every spell he bowled that series was special, mind you.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Patrick Paterson was awful too. Similar to Johnson to some extent as he had extreme pace with that rock-back action. never really hit his straps properly. Dujon said he was the fastest bowler he kept to, easily. And he had some quickish company tstl.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    And on Harris, incredible cricketer. In the earlier days he was little more than a fringe seamer for the Redbacks, probably 130 with a stiff breeze behind him. Then he hit the weights, gained a couple extra yards of pace. Then SACA screwed him over by only offering him a pissy low tier contract, he moved up north to Queensland and the rest is history.

He may have been injury prone but his peak was immense. Brilliant bowler.
    The 2015 Ashes were lost the day he retired at Essex. I was there that day with the kids, we were doing a European holiday and I'd joined Essex, which got us in. Girl I went to school with had a nephew playing for the locals, so we had a good day out. Well, Burgeinho and I did, not so sure about Burgetta.

Poor Rhino was gutted. Can't blame him.
    Last edited by Burgey; 29-07-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information