• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian intra-squad warm up game 23-26 August, The rose Bowl, Southampton

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Forget about Starc for a minute, there's no reason Hazlewood should be a certainty, or even a likelihood, at this point
Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. Going waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far there. I know his form since injury hasn't been great but he is still clearly a superior bowler to the Tremains and Nesers of the world

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. Going waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far there. I know his form since injury hasn't been great but he is still clearly a superior bowler to the Tremains and Nesers of the world
Rubbish. He's been outbowled by them, and most people, comfortably since coming back from injury.

I bet you haven't even seen him play since his injury have you?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If no usman i expect a reactive XI, im just not certain on the final bowler so ill select my number 11 based on heart size.

Bancroft
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Siddle.

Honestly, the first 10 wouldnt surprise me in the slighest.
Don’t mind that lineup but like others, can’t imagine that they will drop Starc

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Rubbish. He's been outbowled by them, and most people, comfortably since coming back from injury.

I've seen about 5 or 6 overs in one of the 50 over games, I doubt you would have seen much more than that. He looked a touch short on match fitness but certainly wasn't bowling badly per se. Seen plenty enough of the alternative options to know that discarding Haze entirely for the series is a terrible idea. The only rubbish here is you and your impulsive ways

mr_mister

Ehh. You talk about what a farce it'd be if Marsh got back into the side, rightly so, but this kind of thinking re Starc and Hazelwood lead to Marsh's extended run in the side in the first place.

This idea that Starc and Hazelwood are shoe ins no matter what is a bad mindset. You get these players who become household names due to media exposure and stuff and suddenly they are literally undroppable. Feels like there's far more at play than red ball form which should be the main criteria. Starc has been awesome with the white ball historically, but Hazelwoods a bit of a manufactured star imo.

I've never been a fan of pick and stick selection policy. In theory I understand how players need a bit of a rope at first when trying to establish themselves if they're obviously quality, or even if theyre in a brief slump but have some amazing proven history, but if you give a bloke enough games of course hel eventually pull something out of his arse. And the cycle repeats.

With Starc it was blasting away the lankans after he'd gone missing all summer in the more important games. He's good at skittling tails and mediocre batsmen but he's never been good at dismissing quality, top order batsmen in tests

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I've seen about 5 or 6 overs in one of the 50 over games, I doubt you would have seen much more than that. He looked a touch short on match fitness but certainly wasn't bowling badly per se. Seen plenty enough of the alternative options to know that discarding Haze entirely for the series is a terrible idea. The only rubbish here is you and your impulsive ways
I haven't seen him bowl a single ball actually, just fyi

Burgey

No one who has watched any decent amount of cricket can in their right mind think Michael Neser and Chris Tremain are better bowlers than Josh Hazelwood. I mean, come on. I know you r love of Tremain is purely because he plays for Victoria, but every exposure he's had to international level batting has demonstrated he lacks what's required to be a good performer at that level. Neser took wickets on an up and down green top. Big ****ing deal. Neither are as good a bowler as Hazelwood.

Burgey

That line of so-called thinking is what led to John ****ing Hastings take the new rock at 120kph in Perth Test a few years ago. It must never happen again.

mr_mister

Bird on the other hand looked like he belonged in his few tests

If we eventually have fit, in form Jye Richardson fighting with fit, in form Pattinson for the final spot because Starc and Hazelwood have their spots locked down it'd be frustrating

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If Jhye was available I would definitely contemplate him in the starting XI. As it is he is only just back to bowling at full gas, so it is unlikely he will be flown to England. Definitely think he has a fair bit more to him as a bowler than the guys actually fighting for the 5th seamer place, still light on experience but he looked every but Test standard in his first two games.

TheJediBrah

No one who has watched any decent amount of cricket can in their right mind think Michael Neser and Chris Tremain are better bowlers than Josh Hazelwood. I mean, come on. I know you r love of Tremain is purely because he plays for Victoria, but every exposure he's had to international level batting has demonstrated he lacks what's required to be a good performer at that level. Neser took wickets on an up and down green top. Big ****ing deal. Neither are as good a bowler as Hazelwood.
1. Tremain is from NSW
2. I rate Hazlewood as the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) best red-ball quick in Aus over the last 5 years. Easily. Everything I'm saying is about him post-injury.

That line of so-called thinking is what led to John ****ing Hastings take the new rock at 120kph in Perth Test a few years ago. It must never happen again.
tbf that was because the entire first-choice attack was rested/injured after bowling 150 overs at South Africa and failing to get them out the previous week

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There’s only four bowlers spots and I’d be giving them to Cummins, patto, Lyon and hazlewood. But they love Starc so yeah hazlewood cops it

Last edited:

trundler

Richardson being injured is such a buzz kill. Guy definitely has looked test standard whenever I've seen him and he can swing it.

Burgey

Tremain is a Victorian. He plays for Victoria. He's been infested with the Victorian disease of domestic godliness and international ordinariness. The same thing happened with Hastings. As with their batsmen, it is only in the most dire circumstances that any Victorian seam bowler other than Patto (obvs) should be even considered for selection, and that's been the case since Paul Reiffel.

howardj

International Coach
I rate Burns and Patterson as now no chance of being selected

MMarsh is a lock

Bangers is a lock if he gets 50 tonight

Warner Smith Usman Head are locks

Wade and Harris could go either way

Gob

International Coach
If no usman i expect a reactive XI, im just not certain on the final bowler so ill select my number 11 based on heart size.

Bancroft
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Siddle.

Honestly, the first 10 wouldnt surprise me in the slighest.
Mate please. Guess Labus will now be picked over KP.

Warner
Bancroft
Usman
Smith
Head
Labuschange
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

just makes sense. Ridiculously deep batting and inform players playing