Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Australian intra-squad warm up game 23-26 August, The rose Bowl, Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Is he still around? I thought he'd been ****ed off
    He organised it way out from it happening, according to reports

No longer employed by CA
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I think it’s pretty disingenuous to say you haven’t picked a squad yet.

You have, it’s just it’s 25 blokes. Surely you’d rather be in this situation where you have 25 guys who have played a heap of cricket in the country recently and are available for selection than if you’d named a squad of 15 a month ago and half of them had stunk up the joint or you’d had to fly in emergency injury cover.

It’s like complaining England haven’t picked a squad yet...
    But it places too much value on this one game, when we all know that cricket being cricket, a batsman can nick off cheaply and yet that doesn't mean he's necessarily in poor form

Langer himself said that up to 4 spots are up for grabs (4 out of 16 is a quarter of the squad).

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Kind of agree, but they should have actually just named a squad of 25 and made that argument IMO.

I also like the intra-team warmup as opposed to an extra game against a county Second XI, but I think it should be seen as a warmup rather than Le UlTiMaTe SeLeCtiOn TrIaL.

If you'd told me "Australia are going to have a huge squad and organise one of their warmups against themselves" a few months ago I would've been all for it, but instead it's more like Australia have delayed their squad announcement and organised a one-off selection trial for a five Test series. It's not like they're going to keep the big squad all series -- they'll name 15 or 16 shortly. It's a different thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    But it places too much value on this one game, when we all know that cricket being cricket, a batsman can nick off cheaply and yet that doesn't mean he's necessarily in poor form

Langer himself said that up to 4 spots are up for grabs (4 out of 16 is a quarter of the squad).
    Yeah, but the issue there is that Langer is a ****wit and not that you have 25 blokes acclimatised to playing cricket in England right now.

If you've got 25 blokes over there and playing then I don't know why you'd want to rule blokes out any sooner than you have to. Ideally, the selectors would have a solid idea of their squad by now and it might be a bit of a shootout over one or two spots but things should be largely settled and this match should be a warm up rather than a trial. I don't dispute that the current setup are putting far too much importance on one game.

However, I don't see the upside to naming your squad earlier than you have to. You name your 15 at the start and a bloke goes down injured and you call in somebody as a replacement. It sends a different message to just naming them in the squad after the fact.

Eventually there comes a point where you cull the squad down to 15 or 16 because they're the blokes with a realistic shot at playing and you're not going to carry around #25 for 6 weeks of touring but there is value in keeping them there for another week after the end of the A tour for a match like this,

Harris has to be at long odds to make the squad.

They're not going to want 3 lefties at the top of the order (assuming Warner and Usman open and bat at 3 respectively) given Anderson's expertise against them and just for team balance.

Plus, Harris doesn't bat anywhere else, has never made a Test century, averages 30, and didn't leave a lasting impression in our most recent Test series.

Burns or Bangers (surely, the former) will partner Warner

Burns has versatility in his favour too, as he can open or bat in the middle order

One would hope that part of the selection process would be looking at the guys in the nets, centre wicket practice and taking recent international and domestic form into account.

It would have been best to say that the squad had been picked before this match but not announced until after it. Paine and Head (Australia's next captain) probably unwittingly picked the squad in their draft. First 16 guys picked were likely to be the ones they had the most confidence in.

Neser might snag a squad spot, as might Labaschagne but really the first XI should have already been identified by the selectors.

Yeah, but the issue there is that Langer is a ****wit and not that you have 25 blokes acclimatised to playing cricket in England right now.

If you've got 25 blokes over there and playing then I don't know why you'd want to rule blokes out any sooner than you have to. Ideally, the selectors would have a solid idea of their squad by now and it might be a bit of a shootout over one or two spots but things should be largely settled and this match should be a warm up rather than a trial. I don't dispute that the current setup are putting far too much importance on one game.

However, I don't see the upside to naming your squad earlier than you have to. You name your 15 at the start and a bloke goes down injured and you call in somebody as a replacement. It sends a different message to just naming them in the squad after the fact.

Eventually there comes a point where you cull the squad down to 15 or 16 because they're the blokes with a realistic shot at playing and you're not going to carry around #25 for 6 weeks of touring but there is value in keeping them there for another week after the end of the A tour for a match like this,
    Haha I actually would've gone a step further than you and actually named a squad of 25 for the series and then named a squad of 14 or so to take to each venue. I agree with you with where the problems are and aren't, but sadly I think the good things about this are actually just functions of the bad things rather than coming from places of well thought out purpose, which weakens the benefits of them in some ways.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha I actually would've gone a step further than you and actually named a squad of 25 for the series and then named a squad of 14 or so to take to each venue. I agree with you with where the problems are and aren't, but sadly I think the good things about this are actually just functions of the bad things rather than coming from places of well thought out purpose, which weakens the benefits of them in some ways.
    Oh absolutely. There's every chance you'll end up with a worse squad because of this game (Neser's wickets and Mitch Marsh contributing) than you might have without it. That doesn't mean that the match itself was a bad idea though - it just means your coaches are hopeless.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar

Just trying to imagine the carnage of 25 blokes from our cricket club on a bus tour around England fro 6-8 weeks. Be brilliant.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

U19 Debutant
    What pisses me off so much about this match is so many of Australia's test woes in the last few years have been caused by arbitrary and overly reactive selection. It's impossible for guys to feel at home a test level when the top 6 for every series is chosen by powerball. This cluster just takes the cake for ridiculousness.

Have no problem with this game

It’s the performance that’s the worry

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Have no problem with this game

It’s the performance that’s the worry
    This. In the 90s both sides would have put up 300 and Hayden's 150* wouldn't have been enough to force him into the squad, let alone the XI.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Good to see Aussies still can't bat abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    This. In the 90s both sides would have put up 300 and Hayden's 150* wouldn't have been enough to force him into the squad, let alone the XI.
    The pitch was absolutely horrendous though
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    The pitch was absolutely horrendous though
    And that's why they wouldn't have posted 450.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Good to see Aussies still can't bat abroad.
    Can England bat at home?

You have Root, Stokes and 9 number 7s

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information