• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In general yes but as a statement of fact this is just not true, given that there have been three day-night Tests in that period of time and Perth last summer.
I should have specified seam movement. Neither day night pitch was moving that sharply off the seam after 35 overs and Perth was cracks.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But seriously, Labuschagne should be playing. Is the most used to the duke ball atm
Yeah to me Wade seems like someone on a hot streak that isn't too sustainable whereas Marnus was doing very well at county level and did OK-ish last summer.

Can see why they wanted to try Wade though.

Spark

Global Moderator
I should have specified seam movement. Neither day night pitch was moving that sharply off the seam after 35 overs and Perth was cracks.
Nah Perth was pretty green. Cracks only became a thing later on.

I reckon there was plenty of seam in the day/night Tests too, in general you don't get swing without it.

morgieb

It's moving a fair bit but I can't help but think that a lot of it is down to top-class swing bowling from Woakes and Broad. Certainly it didn't look like a minefield when Stokes was bowling :p

mr_mister

Interestingly I was surprised to find that Rod Marsh was our first ever keeper to ton up. And Nevill nor Paine yet have, so it's been a while since someone has(Haddin I suppose). Maybe Gilly was just a freak and we'll never get a keeper whol come close to that batting output again

Starfighter

Nah Perth was pretty green. Cracks only became a thing later on.

I reckon there was plenty of seam in the day/night Tests too, in general you don't get swing without it.
Seem to have watched different matches to me. After 35 overs in the day night matches I only remember a bit of nibble, and same at Perth. The seam on the Kookaburra gets flattened down quickly.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't think any pitch on which you can bowl something like that can be described as "flat".

morgieb

Interestingly I was surprised to find that Rod Marsh was our first ever keeper to ton up. And Nevill nor Paine yet have, so it's been a while since someone has(Haddin I suppose). Maybe Gilly was just a freak and we'll never get a keeper whol come close to that batting output again
Expecting a Gilchrist to come around regularly is foolish. The goal is something like Haddin's batting ability (though o/c this could also be in a different kind of manner)

Spark

Global Moderator
Seem to have watched different matches to me. After 35 overs in the day night matches I only remember a bit of nibble, and same at Perth. The seam on the Kookaburra gets flattened down quickly.
Day/night matches vary more with time of day than anything else. After 35 overs you're generally in the middle of the afternoon in baking Adelaide heat. But then the sun goes down.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Siddle will be the hero and make everyone but myself and 2 others head for the 'taste it' thread.

You heard it here first. And whilst i'm at it - Yes Ali is still crap.

Starfighter

Am I the only one to have noticed cricket publications from the seventies and eighties bigging up Marsh's batting as a keeper when Knott averaged quite a bit more?

Starfighter

Day/night matches vary more with time of day than anything else. After 35 overs you're generally in the middle of the afternoon in baking Adelaide heat. But then the sun goes down.
Seems like you're talking about the matches as a general concept rather than the ones that actually happened.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Siddle will be the hero and make everyone but myself and 2 others head for the 'taste it' thread.

You heard it here first. And whilst i'm at it - Yes Ali is still crap.
Get in your thread named for you, so much crap about Siddle who has had zero play so far