• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although he was obviously never going to play, and certainly not as a batsman, it will be interesting to see if any opener makes a higher score this summer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Burns is retained? Ugh. Hope he proves me wrong, but with all the moving parts in his technique when he's not a prime nick he looks a walking wicket.

Nicking off to Hazlewood for a single figure score or your money back.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
We've named 14 players. No Jack Leach.

Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.
There can't be that many players that have played a match winning innings then been immediately dropped for the next game.

I would ask those that seem to think that most of these games won't go beyond the 3rd day. Do Eng or Crims even need to play a 'spinner'? Especially ones that are number 11s like Ali and Lyon?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is going to be a terrible series for batsmen if things go as expected and popular expectation is never fulfilled. I therefore don't see one of Broad and Cummins having a very good series. Starc might disappoint also.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There can't be that many players that have played a match winning innings then been immediately dropped for the next game.
There are two other blokes who’ve been cut from a squad for this series alone who made tons in their last test

Flem274*

123/5
i think i would play

titanic
hindenburg
bairstow
root
buttler
stokes
woakes
moeen
curran
broad
anderson

i'd give one of anderson and archer a break since they're coming off injuries and you don't want to risk both going down in the first test.

everyone below root is kind of interchangeable in batting position, i just avoided stokes at #5 because i don't like balanced allrounders that high.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
From the squad, my team would be:

Bairstow (wk)
Roy
Root (time to stop bottling it Joe).
Buttler
Stokes
Curran
Denly
Woakes
Broad
Stones/Archer (Archer if 100% fit).
Anderson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't see the selectors risking Archer or persuading Root to move from four, so it's this I think:

Burns
Roy
Denly
Root*
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow+
Woakes
Ali
Broad
Anderson

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the fact that they've picked Archer in the squad shows they're willing to risk him, though of course he won't play if he's definitely not fit on the day.

Flem274*

123/5
if broad ****s the bed he's definitely worth a look, tho im concerned his natural length might be frustratingly slightly too short.

Starfighter

I just realised that this is the sixth Ashes series I've followed and I have the least confidence in the batting of the combined sides that I've had for any of them.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Can't see the selectors risking Archer or persuading Root to move from four, so it's this I think:

Burns
Roy
Denly
Root*
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow+
Woakes
Ali
Broad
Anderson
Root could essentially be batting at 3 anyway if the openers don't stick around too long, as some are expecting.?

Hussein didn't even bother with any openers when picking his Ashes starting line-up ?

Pothas

Burns
Roy
Denly
Root*
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow+
Woakes
Ali
Broad
Anderson
Yeah got to expect this to be the side. Moeen will probably still come in ahead of Woakes and maybe Buttler above Stokes.

Howe said it in one of these threads that we they are never going to find themselves a top order by not picking any batsmen so it is what it is. Even more so since you really can't see any case for Bairstow batting in the top 3.