Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 15 of 336 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 5036
Like Tree1142Likes

Thread: 1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

  1. #211
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,696
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    I do quite like Siddle but I can't realistically see him being that effective against Test batsman on anything other than the greenest of greentops
    Brings up the point that they should also look at the pitch before making their selections.

  2. #212
    International Coach mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    13,429
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    The scenes if Siddle outbowls Pattinson
    Just ain't gonna happen
    cricket rules brah

  3. #213
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    13,724
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Burns shouldn't really be ahead of Harris and Bancroft anyway. They're all about the same level. I'm not going to go over the details again, it's been done a few times here already over the last week, but suffice it to say that comparing their Test records is highly dubious.

    I think Burns 180 in his last innings is what will confuse people as to why he wasn't selected. And it's a fair question to ask because dropping someone after making 180 in the last test will definitely raise eyebrows. But purely from a cricketing perspective, and selecting the best team for now and the future perspective, Patterson being left out was the bigger blow. He should become (and already is really) a better player than Burns ever will, or was.
    Burns offers far more versality in this squad than Harris , especially if the selectors knew since the trial game that Bancroft was going to open with Warner.

    He also beats Harris easily on the score of Test average, hundreds scored, and Harris is only 2 years younger so they're not picking him ahead of Burns on age

    Re Patterson, I think you're putting too much emphasis on the reserve batsman being a prospect for the future

    Yes, Patterson has more scope for improvement

    But as a reserve bat in this squad (when it's very likely given our batting that they will be called upon) Paterson (or Harris for that matter) ahead of Burns makes zero sense
    Last edited by howardj; 30-07-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  4. #214
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    2,337
    How is Siddle even in the running? Has he had that prolific a Shield to warrant being picked at age 35 after being thoroughly pedestrian for the last however many years?


  5. #215
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    How is Siddle even in the running? Has he had that prolific a Shield to warrant being picked at age 35 after being thoroughly pedestrian for the last however many years?
    "Experience in conditions" is the official line. He's been worse than every other Victorian fast bowler for the last few seasons. Tremain, Boland, Pattinson and Hastings have all been better.

  6. #216
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,696
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    "Experience in conditions" is the official line. He's been worse than every other Victorian fast bowler for the last few seasons. Tremain, Boland, Pattinson and Hastings have all been better.
    It's all about those div 2 wickets (in fairness, Patto's CC wickets have mostly been Div 2 as well).

    However he was selected in the UAE on the basis of his county form (in green seaming conditions) as Langer will come up with any twisted excuse.

  7. #217
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,525
    Iím hearing that Siddle has a big heart and will run in all day. Can anyone confirm?

  8. #218
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Burns offers far more versality in this squad than Harris , especially if the selectors knew since the trial game that Bancroft was going to open with Warner.

    He also beats Harris easily on the score of Test average, hundreds scored, and Harris is only 2 years younger so they're not picking him ahead of Burns on age

    Re Patterson, I think you're putting too much emphasis on the reserve batsman being a prospect for the future

    Yes, Patterson has more scope for improvement

    But as a reserve bat in this squad (when it's very likely given our batting that they will be called upon) Paterson (or Harris for that matter) ahead of Burns makes zero sense
    You make a good point about Burns' versatility. I would never play Burns as opener in England against these guys though, and as mentioned comparing Burns' Test stats to Harris' in particular is apples and oranges. They've had very different conditions.

    I think Patterson should be in the XI, let alone the squad. I'd have him ahead of Wade and Head, though you can't drop Head after his recent scores.

  9. #219
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,264
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I would never play Burns as opener in England against these guys though, and as mentioned comparing Burns' Test stats to Harris' in particular is apples and oranges. They've had very different conditions.
    A third of Harris's Tests have been opening with Burns so not sure how you can say that. Harris averaged 23.00 while Burns averaged 68.00 in those tests.
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 30-07-2019 at 11:41 PM.
    Justo likes this.

  10. #220
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintolose View Post
    You mean like Root at 3? 🙄

    Also who is **** as compared to who you would pick? And why is it unbalanced?
    Bairstow opening, Curran 6, no spinner, 6 seamers. Thatís a total bollocks line up.

    Moeen has to play for starters.
    Burgey and Prince EWS like this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  11. #221
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,120
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    A third of Harris's Tests have been opening with Burns so not sure how you can say that. Harris averaged 23.00 while Burns averaged 68.00 in those tests.
    The man has a point.

    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Bairstow opening, Curran 6, no spinner, 6 seamers. That’s a total bollocks line up.

    Moeen has to play for starters.
    This man has a point too.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  12. #222
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,120
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I’m hearing that Siddle has a big heart and will run in all day. Can anyone confirm?
    This is apparently true, and his aorta has been training strongly. He's also the closest thing we have outside Wade to Ireland's 120kph trundlers, so we are looking at preying on that weakness.
    GIMH likes this.

  13. #223
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,120
    In glorious news, my best mate (and best man at both my weddings) is down in Sydney for work atm from the GC, and we are catching up at a pub tomorrow evening to watch the first session or two. Will be like old times. Very much looking forward to it.

  14. #224
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    A third of Harris's Tests have been opening with Burns so not sure how you can say that. Harris averaged 23.00 while Burns averaged 68.00 in those tests.
    Then you haven't been paying attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    In glorious news, my best mate (and best man at both my weddings) is down in Sydney for work atm from the GC, and we are catching up at a pub tomorrow evening to watch the first session or two. Will be like old times. Very much looking forward to it.
    which pub? I'll fly in
    Last edited by TheJediBrah; 31-07-2019 at 12:18 AM.

  15. #225
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,120
    We'll be right, mate. But thanks.
    Adders likes this.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2015
    Replies: 2397
    Last Post: 19-08-2015, 07:25 PM
  2. The Ashes - Third Test at Edgbaston
    By Howe_zat in forum Cricket Web Commentary
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 09:15 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
  4. *Official Third Test at Edgbaston
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 3718
    Last Post: 15-08-2009, 12:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •