• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Bairstow opening, Curran 6, no spinner, 6 seamers. That’s a total bollocks line up.

Moeen has to play for starters.
Bairstow and Roy opening have been a revelation (who are your openers?)

Curran is one of the best batsman, plus he's got bottle.

Oz would get ripped apart before a spinner was needed under proper English conditions - Ali is absolute dog****e unless the wicket is a dry turner (plus he's yet another no.11 to add to Archer/Stones, Anderson and Broad. - that would be an absolute disaster of a batting line-up) Anyway Denly and Root could both twirl their arms if some diddlers were needed.
It will be interesting to see how the wicket turns out. As it's been pissing it down in the Midlands for 2 days.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
You must not have watched much cricket then.
He could be the secret weapon. Once the England middle order relax after seeing off the opening bowlers (lolz) they might get a bit of a wide awakening.

It's all in the eye of the beholder anyway. For example some people (including Ed Smith) seem to think Ali is some kind of Murali which personally I find absolutely ludicrous.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m hearing that Siddle has a big heart and will run in all day. Can anyone confirm?
Guarantee he'll start the opening test of the 2091 Ashes because selectors insist his crippled reanimated corpse "will wheel in all day".

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bairstow and Roy opening have been a revelation (who are your openers?)

Curran is one of the best batsman, plus he's got bottle.

Oz would get ripped apart before a spinner was needed under proper English conditions - Ali is absolute dog****e unless the wicket is a dry turner (plus he's yet another no.11 to add to Archer/Stones, Anderson and Broad. - that would be an absolute disaster of a batting line-up) Anyway Denly and Root could both twirl their arms if some diddlers were needed.
It will be interesting to see how the wicket turns out. As it's been pissing it down in the Midlands for 2 days.
Can someone confirm the weather in the Midlands? This post desperately needs something in its favour.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So, by this time tomorrow, england will be 68/9, or Australia 128/0. Almost at the starting gate. Love the Ashes.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
So, by this time tomorrow, england will be 68/9, or Australia 128/0. Almost at the starting gate. Love the Ashes.
That's a bit of a stretch in 81 minutes. I'm going to go for 40/2 whoever's batting. The weather app is ever changing. At the moment it says cloudy with a gentle breeze.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
England team has been announced for the first test.

Burns
Roy
Root
Denly
Butler
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Ali
Broad
Anderson

What I and probably everyone expected. Would have liked to have seen Jofra but I think he'll do well for a bit more of a rest. Additionally, I think him and Anderson both playing with potential niggles could have ended quite badly.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's odd that Buttler keeps in ODIs and Bairstow in tests given they're both keepers.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Moeen needs to sort his batting out if he's gonna keep that Test place . He don't bowl well enough to not take a proper place in the batting order . In my opinion etc .

Actually surprised they left Jofra out for this one... but he has to start at Lords in my opinion .

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Moeen needs to sort his batting out if he's gonna keep that Test place . He don't bowl well enough to not take a proper place in the batting order . In my opinion etc .

Actually surprised they left Jofra out for this one... but he has to start at Lords in my opinion .
On test form actually, I think Moeen has done more than enough with his bowling. Even away from home in Sri Lanka and West Indies he did quite well. I still think Leach is probably the better spinner of the two, but I definitely think Moeen deserves his place as a bowler alone. At no.9 I think he can still be useful with the bat as well.