• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The umpires are there to umpire, not the players. Especially if reviews are going to be limited.
The crux of the issue. No, or more generous, limits on reviews, or automatic reviews, and that gets overturned. I've always thought three would be better than two.

It's a shame the ball tracking takes so long to be generated though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Messrs Boycott, Vaughan and Maxwell on TMS all advocating for a return to the best umpires available, regardless of nationality, in light of DRS.

Thoughts?
Depends. I think if you pick an English umpire you probably still have to pick an Australian one too, otherwise if they have an off day the media will be savage. But I agree in principle, especially given how Australia/England-centric the Elite Panel is.

It's the abundance of wrong decisions more than anything. If any of these were the only one (maybe two) wrong decisions given in a day I think people would be much more lenient on the umpires
Well yeah this is what's annoying me too. Almost farcial at this point.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
At least in the last man standing Cam Bancroft hasn't gone off concussed meaning his like for like replacement Joe Burns hasn't improved his batting average.

and Lyon hasn't taken a wicket, so its looking good.

morgieb

Siddle is just not looking threatening. Innocuous at those speeds.
Yeah he's not bowling poorly, but I think the decision should've been reversed once they saw the wicket. A pitch like the Ireland Test? Picking him would've been worth it. Here? Just not quite bowler-friendly enough.

Now watch him clean up in the 4th innings and make me taste it :p

Plus also he had a huge role in getting us to a competitive score.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Do you guys think Cummins has bowled better than Siddle today? I might be slightly one eyed..

morgieb

The crux of the issue. No, or more generous, limits on reviews, or automatic reviews, and that gets overturned. I've always thought three would be better than two.

It's a shame the ball tracking takes so long to be generated though.
I think that's why they did the 80 over thing originally, as the limits on reviews was just too tight. I don't mind the current system as I think too many reviews and it'll really slow the game down.

Uppercut

Yeah he's not bowling poorly, but I think the decision should've been reversed once they saw the wicket. A pitch like the Ireland Test? Picking him would've been worth it. Here? Just not quite bowler-friendly enough.

Now watch him clean up in the 4th innings and make me taste it :p

Plus also he had a huge role in getting us to a competitive score.
Surely you go for Hazlewood on that pitch?

morgieb

I hate it when this sort of thing justifies poor selection. Happens often enough though.
Oh I agree, but if we do manage to win the Test it's going to change things significantly.

Do you guys think Cummins has bowled better than Siddle today? I might be slightly one eyed..
No, but I know Cummins can bowl much better. This has really been Siddle's standard at Test level for a long time.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Messrs Boycott, Vaughan and Maxwell on TMS all advocating for a return to the best umpires available, regardless of nationality, in light of DRS.

Thoughts?
IIRC, Wisden advocated this position in the 90s when neutral umpires started to become a thing—or at least a thing talked about.

morgieb

Surely you go for Hazlewood on that pitch?
If Hazlewood was actually in form there'd be no question. Problem is he's been kinda **** for a while and looked fairly rusty in the warmups. I can at least see why they thought Siddle might be better.