• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good Ashes players who never played ODIs

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Early 2000s:

Knight and Tresco were the openers.
Nasser was captain. Vaughan was being groomed.
Collingwood and Flintoff became a fixture.
Stewart was the keeper.

Fairbrother played till 99. Thorpe played till 2002. Strauss came by in 2003. KP in 2004.

Vikram Solanki got 30 odd games in that period. Probably the only one over whom Butcher could have been considered, but they were picked for different roles.

fredfertang

More to the point both Adam Hollioake and Ronnie Irani played more than 30 ODIs over Butch's career and weren't remotely as good

And don't give me the not comparing like with like bollocks because Butch was a perfectly serviceable bowler, and a bloody good guitarist

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
More to the point both Adam Hollioake and Ronnie Irani played more than 30 ODIs over Butch's career and weren't remotely as good

And don't give me the not comparing like with like bollocks because Butch was a perfectly serviceable bowler, and a bloody good guitarist
He really was a handy bowler actually. This was a very underrated aspect of his game.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Bancroft
Harris
Pucovski
Patterson
Labuschagne

Just 5 of the soon to be named Ashes squad :)

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Pucovski isn't ready yet imo, wouldn't want to throw him in the deep end of an Ashes series and risk him completely Hameeding

Starfighter

Wasn't there a time when we put promising batsmen in at maybe 5, probably 6 and maybe even 7 rather than throwing them constantly in the deep end like they do these days?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This definitely always used to seem to be the strategy across nations. England did similarly. Always quite favoured the idea of having promising young batters starting off at 5. Ideal position for a new player imo. Within reason.

mr_mister

Hollioake and Irani were 3D players. I know Butch bowled the occasional meds but come on now.

mr_mister

Also, I reckon Justin Langer could have made a fair crack in ODIs for most countries. He was surplus to requirements for Australia though

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Langer could have played a hell of a lot more ODI cricket had he been a different nationality. Same for McGilla to a certain extent too

aussie tragic

International Captain
I thought the thread was about players who never played ODI's, not one's that could have played more (sorry I just hate Langer)