Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Good Ashes players who never played ODIs

  1. #46
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    10,195
    So the answer is there arenít any.

  2. #47
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    12,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Certainly, but his knee reconstruction really hurt him. He could have been a very good test match batsman.
    When I think of all the outstanding Shield bats who missed an opportunity to play tests during the Ponting/Langer/Martyn/Waugh(2)/Lehmann/Gilchrist middle order era, Love is top of the tree for me. Just had a complete game. Was peerless as a first slip as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

  3. #48
    International Coach trundler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    11,078
    Stuart Law for me.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

  4. #49
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    24,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Manou played ODIs FWIW
    Wow. Cant remember this at all. Remember tye circumstances?


  5. #50
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,775
    Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Stuart Law for me.
    Stuart Law played a lot of ODIs. he was a regular in the side for while in the late 90s.

  6. #51
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    21,954
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Stuart Law played a lot of ODIs. he was a regular in the side for while in the late 90s.
    Think he's talking about the "missed opportunities" players.
    trundler likes this.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

  7. #52
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,775
    my bad I only ever read the last reply to a thread

  8. #53
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great A'Tuin
    Posts
    14,423
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Wow. Cant remember this at all. Remember tye circumstances?
    One of those ODI-only India tours in 2009.

    From what I'm piecing together from reports:
    • Initial plan was Haddin, but he hadn't recovered from his Ashes finger injury
    • Paine was picked, but broke a finger
    • Manou gets called up ahead of Hartley.


    Additionally, about fifteen thousand players were out injured over the course of it. Haddin, Clarke, Ferguson, Bracken all ruled out prior. Lee, Hopes, Siddle, Henriques, and Paine during.

    Ended up with a squad of:

    1. Watson
    2. Marsh
    3. Ponting
    4. Hussey
    5. Voges
    6. White
    7. Manou
    8. Johnson
    9. Hauritz
    10. Hilfenhaus
    11. Bollinger
      ---
    12. McDonald
    13. McKay
    14. Holland
    15. Cockley
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

  9. #54
    International Debutant GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Flight 643
    Posts
    2,918
    Hadn't Cockley only played about two list A games for NSW at the time of his callup?
    Allegedly banned

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Usman probably figured he could use the zing bails to deflect the ball over the fence
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"

  10. #55
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,597
    Hartley was arguably more hardly done by than even Martin Love or Stuart Law. That he didn't get a single Australia cap is criminal. Best keeper in the shield and by the end of his playing days, the best batsman of the active keepers. His poor shield average was mainly due to his early years when he was a rubbish batsman but but the end he was arguably Queensland's best batsman.

  11. #56
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,775
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Hartley was arguably more hardly done by than even Martin Love or Stuart Law. That he didn't get a single Australia cap is criminal. Best keeper in the shield and by the end of his playing days, the best batsman of the active keepers. His poor shield average was mainly due to his early years when he was a rubbish batsman but but the end he was arguably Queensland's best batsman.
    Great keeper to the quicks, but he was never much of a batsman. Until randomly in his last season (or 2?) he became Bradman in the Shield. Then even more randomly he retired. He would probably have been playing Tests later that year if he hadn't ad it coincided with Nevill and/or Wade being dropped (can't remember exactly).

    I was shattered by Hartley's retirement. Really did come at the strangest time, when you're in the best form of your life and a spot in the Test team is just about to become available.

  12. #57
    International Debutant GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Flight 643
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Great keeper to the quicks, but he was never much of a batsman. Until randomly in his last season (or 2?) he became Bradman in the Shield. Then even more randomly he retired. He would probably have been playing Tests later that year if he hadn't ad it coincided with Nevill and/or Wade being dropped (can't remember exactly).

    I was shattered by Hartley's retirement. Really did come at the strangest time, when you're in the best form of your life and a spot in the Test team is just about to become available.
    To be fair he never really had any decent spinner to keep to. This is the state that picked Dan Doran for years, he was absolutely dreadful

  13. #58
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,597
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Great keeper to the quicks, but he was never much of a batsman. Until randomly in his last season (or 2?) he became Bradman in the Shield. Then even more randomly he retired. He would probably have been playing Tests later that year if he hadn't ad it coincided with Nevill and/or Wade being dropped (can't remember exactly).

    I was shattered by Hartley's retirement. Really did come at the strangest time, when you're in the best form of your life and a spot in the Test team is just about to become available.
    The thing is he'd seen Nevill dropped for Wade again and it was clear that they had marked his cards. He also saw Pierson coming through and probably wanted to give him a shot for pushing for selection in a couple of years. Carey has pushed his way to the front of that pack though.

  14. #59
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,775
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    The thing is he'd seen Nevill dropped for Wade again and it was clear that they had marked his cards. He also saw Pierson coming through and probably wanted to give him a shot for pushing for selection in a couple of years. Carey has pushed his way to the front of that pack though.
    Still think Hartley could have had a few good years as Test keeper. Look what's happened with Paine, if Hartley hadn't retired maybe he'd be Test captain now with 3 years experience. Probably averaging 40+ with the bat too unless he really fell off.

  15. #60
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,597
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Still think Hartley could have had a few good years as Test keeper. Look what's happened with Paine, if Hartley hadn't retired maybe he'd be Test captain now with 3 years experience. Probably averaging 40+ with the bat too unless he really fell off.
    I think if Pierson hadn't been chomping at his heels he might have stayed on.

    Thing is, Paine was a golden boy who had already spent time in and astound the national setup. Hartley had missed out a number of times and when he retired it was just after missing yet another opportunity. He really, honestly thought his cards were marked and to be fair to him the national selectors had ignored him time and time again in favour of every other keeper in the country (Manau, Ronchi, Nevill and Wade all got turns in the national side/ squad).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why has England become so good in ODIs
    By Victor Ian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 24-07-2018, 02:20 AM
  2. Players who have played Tests and T20Is but no ODIs
    By Firebreaker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-09-2017, 12:26 AM
  3. How good would Bradman have been at ODIs?
    By sledger in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 16-07-2012, 01:57 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-11-2008, 01:50 PM
  5. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 25-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •