• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

aussie tragic

International Captain
Think it's time for a dedicated Ashes Thread...

Tour match: Australia v Australia A, Hampshire, July 23-26

First Test: August 1-5 at Edgbaston, Birmingham

Tour match: Australia v Worcester, August 7-9

Second Test: August 14-18 at Lord's, London

Third Test: August 22-26 at Headingley, Leeds

Tour match: Australia v Derbyshire, August 29-31

Fourth Test: September 4-8 at Old Trafford, Manchester

Fifth Test: September 12-16 at The Oval, London

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Interesting articles today where Hazlewood states Australia will have no choice but to rotate their pace bowlers to get through the tight schedule, especially as all are likely to be on the WC.

Meanwhile, Harmison indicated Broad and Anderson will be fresh after plenty of red ball warm up in county cricket, while Aus bowlers will only have the one game to change from ODI approach.

Borges

International Regular
Cummins! Cummins!! Cummins!!! So much depends on Pat Cummins.

Thank you! I do love these road threads.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
I have seen no suggestion that Pattinson is going to be at the WC so it is quite likely the statement that all of Australia's Ashes bowler will have been to the WC will be incorrect.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'd put Pattinson as 5th quick at the moment and hope he gets through the A tour without injury.
(Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Richardson as top 4, who are all likely to be on WC barring injury)

AnthonyC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If Pattinson plays does he bat above Cummins, those 2 along with Starc or Richardson makes a very strong tail.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Patto, Cummins and Starc all can bat a bit, probably in that order, and Jhye Richardson looks to have a bit of promise with the willow too. But I tend to think peak Johnson was a better bat than any of them

EDIT: We haven't had any genuine 11s in a while, Doug Bollinger probably the last to get a semi prolonged run in the Test team

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Needs an Ashes subbie tbh, not just a "Road to" thread.

Still the number one series in all of cricket. The only other cricketing event worthy of its own subbie is, of course, the ODI WC.

FBU

International Debutant
So Pattinson, Cummins, Starc, Richardson, Lyon..... feel sorry for England batsmen. It's more likely Marsh will be the 4th seamer.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Pattinson, Cummins, Starc, Richardson, Lyon..... feel sorry for England batsmen. It's more likely Marsh will be the 4th seamer.
Never feel sorry for the old enemy but that is a brutal attack.

Spark

Global Moderator
Patto, Cummins and Starc all can bat a bit, probably in that order, and Jhye Richardson looks to have a bit of promise with the willow too. But I tend to think peak Johnson was a better bat than any of them

EDIT: We haven't had any genuine 11s in a while, Doug Bollinger probably the last to get a semi prolonged run in the Test team
Jackson Bird was pretty rabbit-y when he first got into the side.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Jackson Bird was pretty rabbit-y when he first got into the side.
Yeah true. But since Rod Marsh said he wasn't picked because of his batting there has been a sharp improvement. Not a great deal of technique but he can give it a whack these days.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Never feel sorry for the old enemy but that is a brutal attack.
Not really though is it. Richardson is nothing, starc uneffective over here, Pattinson will break down after two overs leaving Cummins as the only decent one.

mr_mister

Pattinson will destroy the careers of Ollie Pope/Sam Curran calibre batsmen if he gets the chance. Fact.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Patto destroys things. Sometimes it is the opposition batsman, sometimes it is his own body. But he is the one bowler I can genuinely see having an Ashes close to as good as Johnson 2013/14. He is really that good.

Starfighter

Not really though is it. Richardson is nothing, starc uneffective over here, Pattinson will break down after two overs leaving Cummins as the only decent one.
I doubt you've even seen Richardson bowl. He's very raw but bowlers who swing the ball both ways with decent control at a very good pace don't come along every day.

[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
Patto destroys things. Sometimes it is the opposition batsman, sometimes it is his own body. But he is the one bowler I can genuinely see having an Ashes close to as good as Johnson 2013/14. He is really that good.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I just don't see Pattinson surviving seven games for Notts (plus limited overs?) and the A match. He hasn't played that much FC cricket for years.[/FONT]

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
[FONT=Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I just don't see Pattinson surviving seven games for Notts (plus limited overs?) and the A match. He hasn't played that much FC cricket for years.[/FONT]
From looking of the County fixtures, those 7 games were 50 over cricket. How many FC games he plays depends on if he stays with Notts or goes to Australia A

As for Jhye, I agree

Tom Flint

International Regular
I doubt you've even seen Richardson bowl. He's very raw but bowlers who swing the ball both ways with decent control at a very good pace don't come along every day.

I have and he is bang average. There's better shield bowlers than him who wont be in the squad and they ain't all that either!

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I have and he is bang average. There's better shield bowlers than him who wont be in the squad and they ain't all that either!
He does distinctly better with the new ball in my observation. A better test bowler than a ODI bowler for sure. Can swing it well and has decent control. Definitely a touch above Boland, Sayers, Tremain and the like. He's quality and I expect him to be a handful I'm England.