• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
So Harris has jumped to the top of the queue to partner Warner purely by not playing county cricket.

Bancroft - 2G, 4 inn, 0 no, 150 runs @ 37.50, HS 70 (1 fifty)

Renshaw - 3G, 6 inn, 1 no, 118 runs @ 23.60, HS 48*

Burns - 1G, 1 inn, 0 no, 10 runs @ 10.00, HS 10

Note:
Labuschagne - 2G, 4 inn, 1 no, 285 runs @ 95.00, HS 137 (2 centuries), 4 wkts @ 48.50
A lot of cricket to be played before the ashes. If those guys are available from now until a couple of weeks before the ashes they could conceivably play 7 or 8 more first class games.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First test XI (my choice):

Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazlewood
Lyon

Selectors XI:

Bancroft
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
My squad for the time being:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Starc
Lyon

Fast bowling still up in the air, will depend largely on fitness

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bancroft
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon
That would be such a bad selection. Thinnest batting I've ever seen in an Australian team. Early reports are green pitches to favour the bowlers for the Ashes too, we'll need all the batting we can get. Another bowler is just a wasted spot.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Mine is,

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Burns
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Richardson
Lyon

IF the pitches are going to be green like JediBrah says then maybe Lyon is not needed although it would be strange to drop him.

FBU

International Debutant
First test XI (my choice):

Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazlewood
Lyon

Selectors XI:

Bancroft
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon
As an England supporter that is the bowling attack I would least like to see. After trying to see off Starc and Hazelwood then to see Cummins and Pattinson roaring in would be a nightmare.
Three of them can bat. I think though that it will be Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and Lyon with M Marsh.

England Anderson, Broad, Wood or Archer, Stokes and Ali.

I expect Broad and Cummins to be the leading wicket takers.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My main worry with our bowling is that Starc doesn't land it on the seam and Hazlewood doesn't seem inclined to at the moment either. It's a pretty good thing to be able to do in England.

Annoyingly Archer reduces the pace gap.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Joe Burns has returned to Australia for personal reasons and won't return to Lancashire (replaced by Jake Lehman).

Not sure what happens now as he isn't in the A squad so will be out of the Ashes unless added?

In other news, Bancroft just made a duck

Edit: Geez, Renshaw also dropped by Kent, so Harris is last man standing to partner Warner

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
You forgot that Langer doesn't pick players without recent games (e.g. Renshaw in UAE, Hazlewood for WC). All other players in that game will have been playing other cricket for at least a month.

If Burns and Jhye Richardson are included in the A squad, do they just increase squad to 17, or replace 2 players?

Burns - Wade or M. Marsh
Richardson - Neser, Tremain or Bird

TheJediBrah

Burns wasn't going to play anyway. Can't buy a run, other than a big lucky Test century on a road against minnows

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I knew that, it gets very concerning when he seems to have his return delayed game by game, never quite know if it is just a bit of caution or something altogether more major.

TheJediBrah

We just never learn do we? Keep kidding ourselves into thinking he might actually play a cricket match. We need to just assume he will be injured when the time comes regardless of how fit he seems