• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maxi taking five fers. Play him at 8
Would be a serious option if Lyon got injured (or if he wasn't so damn good). Would be a perfect way to get Pattinson into the side as a 4th quick too, playing Maxwell in the top 7 as the only spinner (unless playing on a surface where you really need a quality spinner)

Borges

International Regular
Ah! Playing Maxwell as the only spinner in England.They will end up in tears if they do something as daft as that.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Patterson has opened for the A-team before so I guess he will open for the A-team again. Not sure it is a great idea.

Burns vs Harris is interestings. Contrary to what Stephen has been saying I thought Harris initially looked very good in the test side but faded a bit as the summer went on. At the end of the last test Burns seemed to be the opener who would partner Warner in the Ashes. However Harris then dominated Shield cricket while Burns seemed to struggle and perhaps that has changed things a bit. Burns also could be an option other than opening, but maybe the selectors are not considering this at all.

Borges

International Regular
As spin bowlers, Moeen in England is a moderate upgrade over Maxwell anywhere.
They are so far apart that one would safely say: among the most moderate of all moderate upgrades.

morgieb

England use Moeen tho..

On a serious note, could he bat 6 and come in for Labuschagne/Marsh?
He should but unclear he will. Don't see us picking Marnus or the Marshes in the starting XI though. The middle order clearly looks like being Khawaja, Smith, Head and Patterson at this point and while Maxwell might potentially be as good of a batsmen as the non-Smith options I don't think it's by a big enough margin that he ought to get picked ahead of guys that look pretty established at this level.

morgieb

Patterson has opened for the A-team before so I guess he will open for the A-team again. Not sure it is a great idea.

Burns vs Harris is interestings. Contrary to what Stephen has been saying I thought Harris initially looked very good in the test side but faded a bit as the summer went on. At the end of the last test Burns seemed to be the opener who would partner Warner in the Ashes. However Harris then dominated Shield cricket while Burns seemed to struggle and perhaps that has changed things a bit. Burns also could be an option other than opening, but maybe the selectors are not considering this at all.
Yeah, I think Burns's issues seem a lot more damaging in bowler-friendly conditions than Harris's ones, but at the same time I really don't like a Warner/Harris opening combo in swinging conditions. Guess we'll wait and see I guess.

trundler

He should but unclear he will. Don't see us picking Marnus or the Marshes in the starting XI though. The middle order clearly looks like being Khawaja, Smith, Head and Patterson at this point and while Maxwell might potentially be as good of a batsmen as the non-Smith options I don't think it's by a big enough margin that he ought to get picked ahead of guys that look pretty established at this level.
Looks about right. Patterson looks very solid. Exciting player. Head looked better than the rest over the summer but can't find a place now. Should be backup for Khawaja.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Stunned he didn't make the squad, im reallu suprised about the Behrendorf selection, and Coulter-Nile given he's injured at the moment....so they are considering Hazelwood to be a red ball cricketer nowadays then??

trundler

Behrendorff making it is a joke. He'll be thrashed into oblivion. NCN is made of glass and I don't think he's done anything of note lately. Even if they didn't want to risk Haze was there no one better than Behrendorff at least?

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Handscomb has been in great form in ODI'S he must be devastated and sends out a bad message to him and other players

Burgey

Why are people talking about ODI WC squads in an Ashes thread? There's a whole WC subforum. Slippy, I presume when you're talking about Smith replacing Handscomb you're referring to the WC, because if you think Handscomb is a better test player than Steve Smith, then I have a Sydney Harbour Bridge here which I'm prepared to sell to you.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i just want to know what Coulter-Nile has done to deserve a national contract, though granted Pattinson's not done much either.