Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast
Results 616 to 630 of 660
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Road to the 2019 Ashes

  1. #616
    International Coach trundler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    11,297
    To not have Burns in the squad at all is a ****ing joke.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

  2. #617
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,264
    ^you do remember Burns was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome right so any runs were a bonus?

  3. #618
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,904
    Remember when Langer messed with Renshaw's career by talking him down after a couple of shield failures and talking up Bancroft. Then remember when he messed with his head again after dropping him because he missed a practice match due to concussion?

    Langer plays favourites more than anyone I've seen. It's hideous and this current round of selections has his fingerprints all over it. Burns out for Bancroft but Harris remains. Marsh and Labaschagne in based on a bit of county form. It's a joke and he shouldn't be on the selection panel.

  4. #619
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    22,078
    The main advantage that Bancroft has over Harris and Burns is that he looks more solid, but against England at home (where they were toothless) he struggled. And his Shield performances were much worse than Harris's. Should be 4th in line and Burns can feel rightfully pissed off.

    It's like they set up certain batsman to fail. What did Patterson do wrong to get dropped?
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.


  5. #620
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,904
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    The main advantage that Bancroft has over Harris and Burns is that he looks more solid, but against England at home (where they were toothless) he struggled. And his Shield performances were much worse than Harris's. Should be 4th in line and Burns can feel rightfully pissed off.

    It's like they set up certain batsman to fail. What did Patterson do wrong to get dropped?
    He's not from Western Australia and he's not one of Langer's favourites. Automatically makes him drop worthy.

  6. #621
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,420
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post

    It's like they set up certain batsman to fail. What did Patterson do wrong to get dropped?
    Wear socks?

  7. #622
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,264
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Wear socks?
    Omg, Patterson wasn't the one wearing socks in the photo was he...rookie mistake

  8. #623
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,188
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    I would have Harris and Burns about on par, Harris was quite good against a decent Indian attack in a series where we were largely getting smashed but then failed to take advantage against a more modest Sri Lankan team. Burns did make that real nice 180 but not much either side of that, domestically Harris was much better.

    Bancroft a level below imo, his problems with the inswinger last Ashes don't fill me with any faith
    This is a very fair analysis. But Bancroft is a judgement call that I support at this stage. He's made plenty of hard runs at the level down to suggest that he could tough it out in the Ashes if conditions are what we expect. Ironically in his short Test series so far Bancroft seems to have failed when batting conditions have been good more than not.

  9. #624
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,420
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Omg, Patterson wasn't the one wearing socks in the photo was he...rookie mistake
    I have no idea but it would be a hell of a conspiracy theory if he was.

  10. #625
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    But muh flat pitches. And nothing about the fact Harris could be presented with a pitch made from a literal billiard table and still cut straight to point.
    lol you can whinge about it all you want, doesn't make it any less true.

    I ran the numbers just for fun. Australia's team batting average in Tests where Burns has played is 43.19, including a whopping 13 declarations in 16 matches. So that doesn't even take into account the average being brought down by declaration batting in those games, which was significant.

    Team batting average for Harris' tests was 32.57, with only 2 declarations.

    Pretty much what I expected. Burns' run in the team was blessed with conditions and opponents.

    This is why looking at their career averages and thinking "hurr durr Burns 40 Harris 30 Burns is clearly better" is so ignorant

  11. #626
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    22,078
    I must be the only person that is indifferent towards the whole Harris/Burns debate. Apart from the Test that Burns scored the ton in (which granted is very difficult to ignore) Harris did a lot better last season. Burns is more likely to get the big scores, but at the same time he'll likely be owned by the English bowling. At least Harris I can see getting starts.

    Think both should be ahead of Bancroft though, and certainly when you have Mitch ****ing Marsh getting a 20th recall despite doing very little recently with the bat (and with Marnus already in the squad)....

  12. #627
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,264
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    lol you can whinge about it all you want, doesn't make it any less true.

    I ran the numbers just for fun. Australia's team batting average in Tests where Burns has played is 43.19, including a whopping 13 declarations in 16 matches. So that doesn't even take into account the average being brought down by declaration batting in those games, which was significant.

    Team batting average for Harris' tests was 32.57, with only 2 declarations.

    Pretty much what I expected. Burns' run in the team was blessed with conditions and opponents.

    This is why looking at their career averages and thinking "hurr durr Burns 40 Harris 30 Burns is clearly better" is so ignorant
    Well duh! Smith and Warner wern't playing in Harris Tests to improve the average
    TheJediBrah likes this.

  13. #628
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,550
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    lol you can whinge about it all you want, doesn't make it any less true.

    I ran the numbers just for fun. Australia's team batting average in Tests where Burns has played is 43.19, including a whopping 13 declarations in 16 matches. So that doesn't even take into account the average being brought down by declaration batting in those games, which was significant.

    Team batting average for Harris' tests was 32.57, with only 2 declarations.

    Pretty much what I expected. Burns' run in the team was blessed with conditions and opponents.

    This is why looking at their career averages and thinking "hurr durr Burns 40 Harris 30 Burns is clearly better" is so ignorant

    IIRC in his first stint, Burns mostly made runs in that one summer where literally everyone made runs in ludicrous quantities, in those two series against NZ and the one against WI (the ones where Voges and Marsh especially filled their boots). Most people basically tossed those results aside when it came to actually challenging conditions, though, because everyone could see that the bloke was flat-out not technically equipped to deal with even mild amounst of outswing or seam. I don't see that much evidence that he's improved in that regard, tbh.
    morgieb and TheJediBrah like this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

  14. #629
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,188
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Well duh! Smith and Warner wern't playing in Harris Tests to improve the average
    haha I was wondering if anyone would point that out

    I also would have accepted "if Australia declared so many times in Burns' Tests then that means the tail didn't bat as much to bring the average down"

    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    IIRC in his first stint, Burns mostly made runs in that one summer where literally everyone made runs in ludicrous quantities, in those two series against NZ and the one against WI (the ones where Voges and Marsh especially filled their boots). Most people basically tossed those results aside when it came to actually challenging conditions, though, because everyone could see that the bloke was flat-out not technically equipped to deal with even mild amounst of outswing or seam. I don't see that much evidence that he's improved in that regard, tbh.
    voice of reason as usual. Outside of those road-Tests Burns averages under 20
    Last edited by TheJediBrah; 26-07-2019 at 07:06 AM.

  15. #630
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,420
    Bring on the crims.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Road to the 2019 CWC
    By theegyptian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 12-11-2018, 03:23 AM
  2. India's Road to World Cup 2019
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 17-04-2018, 05:29 AM
  3. Ashes 2019 England Squad
    By oblongballs in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-01-2018, 12:45 PM
  4. Road to 2019 World Cup (India)
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 23-06-2017, 04:46 AM
  5. Road to the knackers yard 2019 (all nationalities)
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-06-2017, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •