Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Road to the 2019 Ashes

To not have Burns in the squad at all is a ****ing joke.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    ^you do remember Burns was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome right so any runs were a bonus?

Remember when Langer messed with Renshaw's career by talking him down after a couple of shield failures and talking up Bancroft. Then remember when he messed with his head again after dropping him because he missed a practice match due to concussion?

Langer plays favourites more than anyone I've seen. It's hideous and this current round of selections has his fingerprints all over it. Burns out for Bancroft but Harris remains. Marsh and Labaschagne in based on a bit of county form. It's a joke and he shouldn't be on the selection panel.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    The main advantage that Bancroft has over Harris and Burns is that he looks more solid, but against England at home (where they were toothless) he struggled. And his Shield performances were much worse than Harris's. Should be 4th in line and Burns can feel rightfully pissed off.

It's like they set up certain batsman to fail. What did Patterson do wrong to get dropped?
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    The main advantage that Bancroft has over Harris and Burns is that he looks more solid, but against England at home (where they were toothless) he struggled. And his Shield performances were much worse than Harris's. Should be 4th in line and Burns can feel rightfully pissed off.

It's like they set up certain batsman to fail. What did Patterson do wrong to get dropped?
    He's not from Western Australia and he's not one of Langer's favourites. Automatically makes him drop worthy.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post

Wear socks?

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Wear socks?
    Omg, Patterson wasn't the one wearing socks in the photo was he...rookie mistake

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    I would have Harris and Burns about on par, Harris was quite good against a decent Indian attack in a series where we were largely getting smashed but then failed to take advantage against a more modest Sri Lankan team. Burns did make that real nice 180 but not much either side of that, domestically Harris was much better.

Bancroft a level below imo, his problems with the inswinger last Ashes don't fill me with any faith
    This is a very fair analysis. But Bancroft is a judgement call that I support at this stage. He's made plenty of hard runs at the level down to suggest that he could tough it out in the Ashes if conditions are what we expect. Ironically in his short Test series so far Bancroft seems to have failed when batting conditions have been good more than not.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Omg, Patterson wasn't the one wearing socks in the photo was he...rookie mistake
    I have no idea but it would be a hell of a conspiracy theory if he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    But muh flat pitches. And nothing about the fact Harris could be presented with a pitch made from a literal billiard table and still cut straight to point.
    lol you can whinge about it all you want, doesn't make it any less true.

I ran the numbers just for fun. Australia's team batting average in Tests where Burns has played is 43.19, including a whopping 13 declarations in 16 matches. So that doesn't even take into account the average being brought down by declaration batting in those games, which was significant.

Team batting average for Harris' tests was 32.57, with only 2 declarations.

Pretty much what I expected. Burns' run in the team was blessed with conditions and opponents.

This is why looking at their career averages and thinking "hurr durr Burns 40 Harris 30 Burns is clearly better" is so ignorant

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    I must be the only person that is indifferent towards the whole Harris/Burns debate. Apart from the Test that Burns scored the ton in (which granted is very difficult to ignore) Harris did a lot better last season. Burns is more likely to get the big scores, but at the same time he'll likely be owned by the English bowling. At least Harris I can see getting starts.

Think both should be ahead of Bancroft though, and certainly when you have Mitch ****ing Marsh getting a 20th recall despite doing very little recently with the bat (and with Marnus already in the squad)....

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post

I ran the numbers just for fun. Australia's team batting average in Tests where Burns has played is 43.19, including a whopping 13 declarations in 16 matches. So that doesn't even take into account the average being brought down by declaration batting in those games, which was significant.

Pretty much what I expected. Burns' run in the team was blessed with conditions and opponents.

This is why looking at their career averages and thinking "hurr durr Burns 40 Harris 30 Burns is clearly better" is so ignorant
    Well duh! Smith and Warner wern't playing in Harris Tests to improve the average
    TheJediBrah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post

IIRC in his first stint, Burns mostly made runs in that one summer where literally everyone made runs in ludicrous quantities, in those two series against NZ and the one against WI (the ones where Voges and Marsh especially filled their boots). Most people basically tossed those results aside when it came to actually challenging conditions, though, because everyone could see that the bloke was flat-out not technically equipped to deal with even mild amounst of outswing or seam. I don't see that much evidence that he's improved in that regard, tbh.
    morgieb and TheJediBrah like this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Well duh! Smith and Warner wern't playing in Harris Tests to improve the average
    haha I was wondering if anyone would point that out

I also would have accepted "if Australia declared so many times in Burns' Tests then that means the tail didn't bat as much to bring the average down"

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    IIRC in his first stint, Burns mostly made runs in that one summer where literally everyone made runs in ludicrous quantities, in those two series against NZ and the one against WI (the ones where Voges and Marsh especially filled their boots). Most people basically tossed those results aside when it came to actually challenging conditions, though, because everyone could see that the bloke was flat-out not technically equipped to deal with even mild amounst of outswing or seam. I don't see that much evidence that he's improved in that regard, tbh.
    voice of reason as usual. Outside of those road-Tests Burns averages under 20
    Last edited by TheJediBrah; 26-07-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Bring on the crims.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread Information