• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best case scenario for Aus. Wash out the whole Ashes and we retain the trophy. No way we are beating the rampaging poms otherwise. Smith will average 100 for the series and we'll still lose most games by an innings.
Be hilarious if the only washed out test is at England's favourite ground. But imagine sitting around Birmingham in the rain for five days. When the day of reckoning is at hand, the lads will be able to say they've already done their time in purgatory.

howardj

International Coach
If Wade gets 50+ in the Aus v Aus game, he'll make the Test XI

Very real prospect of Wade, Carey, and Paine in the same squad

Flem274*

123/5
Australia don't need a 5th bowler. Three quicks plus Lyon.

Hazelwood had a poor summer last summer and then got injured. He hasn't done much since his return from injury.

Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Should be the attack.
this is how you get someone like jackson bird opening the bowling in the second test...oh, i see what you're doing. clever.

wrongun

Banned
Best case scenario for Aus. Wash out the whole Ashes and we retain the trophy. No way we are beating the rampaging poms otherwise. Smith will average 100 for the series and we'll still lose most games by an innings.
The current Haddin vs Hicks game is the best proof as to why I feel we need to go in w 5 bowlers ...the batting needs to be saved by our bowling....sure we can skittle England's top order out but the middle order will hold up and that's where a 5th will make a difference...any score of 250 and above by England and we possibly struggle

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woakes
Ali
Burns
Root
Buttler
Bairstow
Stokes
Roy
Foakes +
Archer
Anderson

It's insane and whatever but will be very effective.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woakes underrated as a batsman imo. Not saying he should necessarily open, but I can see why you'd think he would be better in the upper order than some other blokes. Always looks a really solid player.

Burns plays for Australia, though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't expect to see much of Anderson this Series. Already missing the Ireland Test and doubtful for the first Ashes Test. If he has a dodgy hamstring I can't see him playing much with all the Tests being played in a heap.

harsh.ag

Woakes underrated as a batsman imo. Not saying he should necessarily open, but I can see why you'd think he would be better in the upper order than some other blokes. Always looks a really solid player.

Burns plays for Australia, though.
Rory Burns

aussie tragic

International Captain
England warm up for the Ashes is pretty dire with 85 all out.

Surely Sibley will now get a chance for the 1st Ashes Test?

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
After the last tour game, predicting Selectors will go with this 16 man squad for the Ashes

Bats: Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Smith, Labuschagne, Head, Marsh

WK: Paine, Carey

Spin: Lyon, Holland

Pace: Cummins, Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood, Siddle

Note: I'd take Burns over Bancroft or Head and increase squad to 17 (or take only one spinner) in order to take K'Pat as extra bat, although he has done bugger all on the A tour

Last edited:

stephen

I really hope they leave Bancroft in the wilderness. I know Langer loves him to death though and he hit this timely 93* against Hazlewood, Starc and Holland. He's going to be in the side isn't he. What a depressing state of affairs. I'd rather Harris than Bancroft.

And Holland is rubbish. Let's leave him out of the squad. Lyon is all we need. Pick Labuschagne as the backup spinner if we must.

Single games are depressing things to be basing selection on.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yeah ban Holland. If Lyon goes down, play Labuschagne and Marsh (with Smith part-timers) and play Cummins, Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood which I've been waiting for ages to see

Last edited: