• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At this stage Burns is a long way ahead of Harris.

Harris looked weak against the short ball all summer. He had 6 tests last summer and didn't step up in any of them. Burns had one test and lifted the team with him.

Burns is the most harshly dealt with player in the Australian set up. We need to stop giving rubbish openers an entire summer to average 30. It's happened with Bancroft and Harris now. It's not worth us losing test series by picking players on short term form and not long term success.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At this stage Burns is a long way ahead of Harris.

Harris looked weak against the short ball all summer. He had 6 tests last summer and didn't step up in any of them. Burns had one test and lifted the team with him.

Burns is the most harshly dealt with player in the Australian set up. We need to stop giving rubbish openers an entire summer to average 30. It's happened with Bancroft and Harris now. It's not worth us losing test series by picking players on short term form and not long term success.
lol I was waiting you to come in and spew something like this

stephen

The truth is hard to swallow when it doesn't match your beliefs.

Burns deserves the chance more than any of the other choices right now. That's not to say he should play all 5 tests. Personally I think Burns would be better in the middle order, particularly if Khawaja returns. Khawaja should open if available. He's a better bet than any of the other choices. Smith up to 3, middle order of concrete feet (Head), Patterson and Burns. If Khawaja can't play, Burns to open and Wade to bat 6. Still not convinced with Wade as a test batsman but he's in some pretty good nick at the moment.

Bancroft, Harris and laughable should all gagf for a couple of years. Come back when they're more complete.

And yes, autocorrect did change Labaschagne to laughable. Thought it weirdly appropriate.

Starfighter

Khawaja opening and Burns lower down is something I could live with. I'd put more stock on Khawaja making a big score than Harris.

Gob

International Coach
Renshaw Will be back for sure

Can we not screw the middle order please. Usman,Smith, Head and KP looks solid. Personally back Harris to at least blunt the new ball aswell.

Gob

International Coach
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Starc
Lyon

For me. Haze is unlucky but you have to get all the Pattinson you can get when he is fit like this.

Gob

International Coach
Man this opening slot was supposed to be Phillip Hughes spot. Makes me so sad.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Khawaja should 110% be opening with Warner if he's fit, with Smith at #3.

Usman averages about 100 as an opener (7 innings so decent sample), and about 38 at #3.

Burgey

He did look awful against the short ball, and frankly if you can't play the short ball you have no place opening in world cricket, aside from the SC of course. It's one thing to have a weakness against a ball moving in or away, it's another to lack the intestinal fortitude and requisite character to deal with something up your nose at 90mph.

harsh.ag

And I thought it would only be the English posters boring the crap out of the rest of us with their wheel of mediocre test openers debates.

Burgey

Your face lacks intestinal fortitude and character
And I thought it would only be the English posters boring the crap out of the rest of us with their wheel of mediocre test openers debates.
Sorry, but only Australian and English supporters are allowed to post in Ashes subfora. Been a rule since forever. harsh, you should know better by now.

trundler

You'll see whiny English posters crawl out of their holes when England's top order lollapses again, this time versus Ireland.