• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If the pitch is actually doing something Roy would be eaten alive as opener. Realistically I can see him making one jammy 80odd but mostly failing early trying to force the pace.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
If the pitch is actually doing something Roy would be eaten alive as opener. Realistically I can see him making one jammy 80odd but mostly failing early trying to force the pace.
To be fair, one lucky 80odd might win a test match given the relative strength of bowling to batting in series.

hazsa19

International Regular
My team
Roy
Burns
**** knows, Denly? Foakes? God help us
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes/ Wood depending on conditions
Archer
Anderson

We all know Broad will for some reason play ahead of Woakes/Wood. Looking at the batting, is say it’s a big opportunity for Australia to win the Ashes here.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
My team
Roy
Burns
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Ali
Archer
Anderson

We all know Broad will for some reason play ahead of Woakes/Wood. Looking at the batting, is say it’s a big opportunity for Australia to win the Ashes here.
Put Sibley in the top 3, a young improving in form player.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually not so much "decent option" as "better than Burns", there's a difference.

At this stage I would go Warner/Bancroft. That's an opening pair that I could really see taking the shine off the new ball . . . with their bats of course
Showing my age here but back in the day bat repairers used to protect the face of the bat with vellum or pig skin

From a distance, it was the colour of sandpaper so this lunatic that I played with stuck the latter to his bat thinking that it would take the shine off the new ball

That same guy was the driving force behind WSC and a well known journalist

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My team
Roy
Burns
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Ali
Archer
Anderson

#batdeep

Root’s refusal to bat three skews the balance of england’s Side a fair bit doesn’t it?

Bijed

International Regular
Still more than or at least as much as I'd expect from anyone else we're likely to try tbh

Francis9898

Cricket Spectator
I think England are at the advantage when it comes to their openers, there isn't much expectation. Their openers have been really poor for what feels as long as I can remember. What's wrong with their test side at the moment is they rely heavily on batting first and they have too many issues which are good things for the ODI side. Jason Roy opening strikes me as something very strange. I think it's about time the likes of Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler (whomever is keeping) to step up and start batting away from their favoured 6 or 7. There is no way you can ask Jason Roy to go and play the moving ball against probably the best attack in the world - has he ever seen the ball swing before? Woakes and Archer over Broad but Broad will never ever be left out no matter how poor he's been.

Australia will need to try and capitalise on arrogance I think. Nobody I've spoken to here gives them a chance, but when on paper Australia have a much better side imo. Pattinson will be key to their plans and so will Starc. I'd go Burns over Harris initially but absolutely pick Matthew Wade. Is Paine still definitely captain? Feels a bit of a negative pick imo. I'd love a 4-7 of Smith, Head, Labushagne and Wade. That said, gambling on captaincy could be a poor choice.

Definitely a close series. Joe Root won 5/5 tosses last summer and all of them against South Africa and Sri Lanka iirc. If Australia win 5/5 tosses then they will thrash England I think but if it's 5/5 to England then I expect 4-1 or 3-2. Whatever happens I don't see this England test side whitewashing anybody that is remotely decent. Reckon India were close to them last year but the toss was the difference.

Anyone know what sort of pace Patto bowls at now? I saw him in a LO game a while back and he was mostly 135-140. Don't think he was ever really express.

Last edited:

wrongun

Banned
I'd pick Bancroft or Burns over Harris currently. While neither of them are a lock to score Big runs (Bancroft being the highest probability out of those 3 for me), Harris seems to have the worst technique. I think Burns should be given a shot here...probably won't fire right away but you may get a couple of useful starts over the course of 5 tests. Chris Woakes could be the MOTS if England wins. Solid bowler and the potential for some handy runs. All this talk about Pattinson....at who's expense?

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
My Aus XI for the first test would be:

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Labuschagne
Paine(c)(wk)
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Funnily enough I think Harris will do reasonably in England, even if on raw stats you'd pick Burns. I think Harris will play late off the back foot nicely and hence play the moving ball well. I'm more worried for Head with the seam movement although I'm always reminded of his gutsy innings against Abbas in the UAE and I hope he proves me wrong. Labuschagne gets picked ahead of Patterson simply because of his huge form in England this season.

Francis9898

Cricket Spectator
I'd pick Bancroft or Burns over Harris currently. While neither of them are a lock to score Big runs (Bancroft being the highest probability out of those 3 for me), Harris seems to have the worst technique. I think Burns should be given a shot here...probably won't fire right away but you may get a couple of useful starts over the course of 5 tests. Chris Woakes could be the MOTS if England wins. Solid bowler and the potential for some handy runs. All this talk about Pattinson....at who's expense?
Hazelwood for sure. Didn't do too well in UK last time out and hasn't played in'tl cricket for a bit. You absolutely cannot ignore someone like Pattinson. Aus just have four top notch quicks. Unfortunately one of them isn't a genuine all-rounder, imagine...Though between Patto, Cummins and Starc you have two guys that average above 20 with the bat. That said, you pick your best quicks. That's what should be the question. England will pick Broad and Anderson along with whomever they feel can bat better.

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular
Wood versus Woakes should absolutely not be a dichotomy, especially in England.
That’s why I said depending on conditions. If it’s dry leading up to the OT or Oval test I wouldn’t expect Woakes to be effective after 10 overs of the new ball.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Do we have a thread or anything for the England/Ireland Test. The England squad is quite weak.

Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Jason Roy, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.

wrongun

Banned
Hazelwood for sure. Didn't do too well in UK last time out and hasn't played in'tl cricket for a bit. You absolutely cannot ignore someone like Pattinson. Aus just have four top notch quicks. Unfortunately one of them isn't a genuine all-rounder, imagine...Though between Patto, Cummins and Starc you have two guys that average above 20 with the bat. That said, you pick your best quicks. That's what should be the question. England will pick Broad and Anderson along with whomever they feel can bat better.
I don't know if this is your opinion or youre projecting what you think the selectors will do, but either way I vehemently disagree. Haze is highly under rated and leaving him out would be th dumbest thing Aus do. He is the only bowler along with Cummins that could last all 5 tests. He is essentially the glue that holds the bowling staff together. I personally do not care about the bowlers batting averages...if your top order cannot do the job then you deserve to lose in most instances. I mean would you ever pick a top order batsmen based on his bowling average? Ridiculous! None of my angst is directed towards you but grave mistake if Haze isn't selected. Going in with 4 fast bowlers and Lyon is perfectly fine since Australia's batting is shaky regardless. An extra batsmen may help you save face but an extra bowler may help you win the test.

Francis9898

Cricket Spectator
I don't know if this is your opinion or youre projecting what you think the selectors will do, but either way I vehemently disagree. Haze is highly under rated and leaving him out would be th dumbest thing Aus do. He is the only bowler along with Cummins that could last all 5 tests. He is essentially the glue that holds the bowling staff together. I personally do not care about the bowlers batting averages...if your top order cannot do the job then you deserve to lose in most instances. I mean would you ever pick a top order batsmen based on his bowling average? Ridiculous! None of my angst is directed towards you but grave mistake if Haze isn't selected. Going in with 4 fast bowlers and Lyon is perfectly fine since Australia's batting is shaky regardless. An extra batsmen may help you save face but an extra bowler may help you win the test.
Yes it is my opinion, I think going in without Pattinson is really silly if he’s available. Whomever misses out is unlucky and no I would not pick someone on their batting if they’re a bowler, it is simply a bonus. Playing all 4 would be pretty crazy, perhaps that’s the correct thing to do. If you rely on your tail all the time then you have serious problems but if it is your strength and you win games because of it then there’s no problem. Cummins with the bat was a huge reason Aus did well last time.