• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There are reports emerging that Siddle is being considered as Pattinsons replacement for the second Test of a back to back. Pattinsons body cannot withstand 5 Tests but they want him there on the first day.

howardj

International Coach
The whole Australia v Australia A "trial" smacks of more over-thinking by Langer

The same over-thinking that lead to Hazlewood and Wade not playing in the World Cup and, in Wade's case, the Semi Final in particular

JL will desperately want to pick Bangers, for a redemption story (despite averaging 30.92 in Tests, and 40.21 in FC cricket)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The whole Australia v Australia A "trial" smacks of more over-thinking by Langer

The same over-thinking that lead to Hazlewood and Wade not playing in the World Cup and, in Wade's case, the Final in particular

JL will desperately want to pick Bangers, for a redemption story (despite averaging 30.92 in Tests, and 40.21 in FC cricket)
How exactly would Wade have played the Final? You got totally and utterly thrashed in the semi final.

howardj

International Coach
Hohns has said 16 players will be picked - 5 quicks, 2 leather twirlers, 2 keepers, 7 bats/allrounders

Burns
Warner
Usman
Smith
Head
Patterson
Wade

Carey
Paine

Holland
Lyon

Haze
Starc
Cummins
Pattinson
Tremain/Bird

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hohns has said 16 players will be picked - 5 quicks, 2 leather twirlers, 2 keepers, 7 bats/allrounders

Burns
Warner
Usman
Smith
Head
Patterson
Wade

Carey
Paine

Holland
Lyon

Haze
Starc
Cummins
Pattinson
Tremain/Bird
My stab at JLs squad:

Warner Harris Khawaja Smith Head Patterson Wade Paine Lyon Labuschagne MMarsh Hazlewood Starc Cummins Pattinson Siddle

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So how are both sets of supporters feeling knowing that the pair that umpired the World Cup Final will probably be getting 3 ashes tests each?

Oh dear.

TheJediBrah

The same over-thinking that lead to Hazlewood and Wade not playing in the World Cup and, in Wade's case, the Semi Final in particular

I actually think Bancroft would be a good pick. I reckon he'd do ok in the Ashes against quality bowling, much more faith in him than Burns.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are reports emerging that Siddle is being considered as Pattinsons replacement for the second Test of a back to back. Pattinsons body cannot withstand 5 Tests but they want him there on the first day.
I don't mind this. Am I interpreting this correctly that Pattinson will be playing every second test to give his back the proper rest time? Or just the first to give us a good start then rested the whole series? Lol

TheJediBrah

I don't mind this. Am I interpreting this correctly that Pattinson will be playing every second test to give his back the proper rest time? Or just the first to give us a good start then rested the whole series? Lol
Probably play it by ear rather than have a set plan for Pattinson's appearances I would have thought. You can't predict exactly how he'll pull up/recover.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pattinson to play the first test as he is seen as the better bowler. Prob play 2nd Test too but 3rd Test is a short turnaround so hed most likely be rested and return for the 4th Test. 5th is short turnaround too, harder to sit that one out though if its a live test.

Burgey

Who is Pattinson rumoured to be playing ahead of?

Burgey

The question should be whether he deserves to be dropped shouldn't it? But if they go that way and then think Siddle is a better option than Haze to replace Pattinson if he's rested, they're kidding themselves.

I am hoping to see Patto play though. Not much worse than blokes having careers ruined by injury. If he could play a big part in an away Ashes win it'd be a hell of a legacy, regardless of how long he lasts in the game afterwards.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't play Pattinson in the first, wait till we need him so he can break down at an appropriate hour.

He plays the first and we won't see him in the second I feel. Optimism will go unrewarded.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
None of the three incumbent fast bowlers deserve to be dropped, but Pattinson is such a phenomenal bowler that to ignore him would be foolish. Agree that he is unlikely to be able to get through all 5 tests with his injury history, 3 or 4 tests would be enough for him to make a massive impact though. Some rotation will be inevitable but the idea that Starc or Haze should be tossed aside completely is just stupid

Groundking

International Debutant
So how are both sets of supporters feeling knowing that the pair that umpired the World Cup Final will probably be getting 3 ashes tests each?

Oh dear.
It's an inevitable consequence of the fact that of the Elite umpire panel 7 of them are English or Australian, so we only have Dar, Ravi, Gaffeney, Erasmus and Dharmasena to pick from....