• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yikes. I kinda guessed Anderson could rip up **** especially given he's playing Div 2, but those figures are definitely eye-raising.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am I right in thinking that England have to choose 2 of the following 4:

Broad
Woakes
Curran
Archer

?

Not an easy call at all if so. Probably want to play Woakes in England. Dunno what's going on with Curran, if he has regressed. Tempting to pick Archer too.

Apologies if this has already been hashed out in the thread.

aussie tragic

International Captain
That's hardly terrible. Certainly not a signifier that he's done.
Not in itself no, but I have the perception that Broad hasn't done much lately so looked it up.

Last 6 Tests, 13 wkts @ 37.23

Last 12 months, 8 Tests, 20 wkts @ 32.40

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Am I right in thinking that England have to choose 2 of the following 4:

Broad
Woakes
Curran
Archer

?

Not an easy call at all if so. Probably want to play Woakes in England. Dunno what's going on with Curran, if he has regressed. Tempting to pick Archer too.

Apologies if this has already been hashed out in the thread.
Either Curran is for me a way behind the other 3. Much as I don’t rate him I think Wood is in that list to pick 2 from as well.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson has a somewhat poor Ashes record so I hope that trend continues. Said record would be even worse if Smith didn't have rocks in his head, not enforcing the follow on in Adelaide when the ball was h00ping around was one of the ATG dire bits of captaincy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anderson has a somewhat poor Ashes record so I hope that trend continues. Said record would be even worse if Smith didn't have rocks in his head, not enforcing the follow on in Adelaide when the ball was h00ping around was one of the ATG dire bits of captaincy.
Without checking i think his last couple of home Ashes have been pretty good?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Without checking i think his last couple of home Ashes have been pretty good?
Not just Ashes, but Anderson's last 5 years in England, 30 Tests, 143 wkts @ 18.62 :(

Edit: It's correct, Anderson's Ashes record is terrible: 13 Tests, 44 wkts @ 33.36

2015 Ashes: 3 Tests, 10 wkts @ 27.50 (but one innings was 6-47)
2013 Ashes: 5 Tests, 22 wkts @ 29.59
2009 Ashes: 5 Tests, 12 wkts @ 45.16

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Say what you want about the holes in Anderson's away record but the guy is ageless. Amazing longevity for a fast bowler, and he's still a magician with the Dukes ball.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
GOAT.

Hope he retires at the end of the summer though. He's done well to last this long, but I doubt he will be able to go much further without his age beginning to show.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
GOAT.

Hope he retires at the end of the summer though. He's done well to last this long, but I doubt he will be able to go much further without his age beginning to show.
People have been saying this for a few years now. If he can stay fit, why not just keep going.

Tom Flint

International Regular
The way he has been bowling every week with the white and red ball for lancs this year he doesn't look like someone who is about to retire

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The way he has been bowling every week with the white and red ball for lancs this year he doesn't look like someone who is about to retire
If England win this Ashes he may just retire at the end of it unless he's planning on targeting the 2020 Ashes.

aussie tragic

International Captain
If England win this Ashes he may just retire at the end of it unless he's planning on targeting the 2020 Ashes.
This seems to be more of an Aussie thing with Taylor, Langer, Martyn, McGrath, Warne, Clarke and Rogers all retiring after an Ashes series.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Speaking of Anderson retiring, I hope he does it the English way, aka Nasser Hussain. We can afford to give him 10 wkts in the first test of the series as long as he then retires like Hussain did after scoring a hundred in the 1st Test vs NZ in 2004 ;)

Howe_zat

Audio File
The Burnley Lara getting a ton in his final test might be the time to end cricket. It'd have reached the peak and be all downhill from there.