• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope England opens with Roy because it is a completely stupid idea, like Australia trying to open with Finch, it will not work. Maybe he could be a middle order batsman but that is doubtful as well.
I do too, but admittedly their options aren't great. And in a low scoring series a quickfire 30 might do more damage than it otherwise would.
More chance of working than picking Denly.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
More chance of working than picking Denly.
There is an outside chance Roy might hit a couple of quick 50s and if the other opener can stay there while he does it might give England a decent start to the innings but overall he is not a long term prospect.

I think England should pick Balance, Root, Northeast, Stokes, Bairstow, Archer, Broad, Anderson, Leach but not sure sure who should open.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ballance has had umpteen chances to cement a place in the England side , for some reason he can't convert his talent into Test performances. I'd see selecting him as more of a backward step than asking Cook to fill in for the Ashes . :D

The problem with Roy is he might end up as a very prolific 5-7 at Test level...but we got loads of those already . Half the squad could bat at 6 and do okay :) .

In recent history number 3 has been the English poison chalice . Now it's 1-3 . I would love to see how Roy deals with the moving ball ...but not during the Ashes . :) I thought Fairbrace was a bit daft to suggest it .

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Ballance has had umpteem chances to cement a place in the England side , for some reason he can't convert his talent into Test performances. I'd see selecting him as more of backward step than asking Cook to fill in for the Ashes . :D
Tbh I agree with you about Ballance, but if we did select him for the Ashes, I imagine we'd get a few failures, some stodgy 30s and probably a gritty/awkward half-century from him, which, worryingly, is still more than I'd expect from many of the other potential candidates we could go for

aussie tragic

International Captain
Peter Siddle not in the current Essex vs Hampshire game. Assume he's been added to the A squad but can't find any news.

Edit: 'Essex had rested Peter Siddle because of a few niggles'

Last edited:

Toppy

Cricket Spectator
Is anyone here going to the Edgbaston Ashes test? If so, have you received your tickets in the mail yet?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How good is it that the tests are all at traditional venues and wanker grounds like Cardiff, Durham or Southampton? I would have loved a return tot he old days and a first test at Nottingham, but with only five tests I suppose you can't have everything.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ashes County watch

Labuschagne made 51 and took 3-52 to continue his Ashes run. He is now the leading run scorer in CC with 704 runs @ 64.00 from 7 games and with 14 wkts @ 35.00 is making his selection hard to ignore (100 runs and 2 wkts per match).

Note: Balance is next highest run scorer with 663 runs @ 73.66 with 4 hundreds (and Div 1 vs Labu in Div 2).

In other news, Pattinson finally took some CC wkts in his 3rd game with 6-73 so he now has 6 wkts @ 28.00 (same wkt/match ratio as Labu) and Chadd Sayers played his first game for Gloucestershire taking 3-91.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good timing for that haul of wickets from Patto. Might actually get to see him back in a test team.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Ashes County watch

Labuschagne made 51 and took 3-52 to continue his Ashes run. He is now the leading run scorer in CC with 704 runs @ 64.00 from 7 games and with 14 wkts @ 35.00 is making his selection hard to ignore (100 runs and 2 wkts per match).

Note: Balance is next highest run scorer with 663 runs @ 73.66 with 4 hundreds (and Div 1 vs Labu in Div 2).

In other news, Pattinson finally took some CC wkts in his 3rd game with 6-73 so he now has 6 wkts @ 28.00 (same wkt/match ratio as Labu) and Chadd Sayers played his first game for Gloucestershire taking 3-91.
Balance's runs are surely against strong attacks seeing he is play division 1 so his runs should be more highly regarded especially as they come at a higher average.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Good timing for that haul of wickets from Patto. Might actually get to see him back in a test team.
From what I have seen Patto always needs a few overs under his belt to be at full force, can tend to take a little while to hit his straps after returning from injury. He will finish this game and then play a couple for Aus A, hopefully he will be ready to tear **** up come Ashes time

aussie tragic

International Captain
James Anderson currently has 25 wkts @ 8.88 with econ 1.68. This looks a worry for Aus, however Broad has only 14 wkts @ 28.57. Is Broad pretty much done now?