• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia v England post-Ashes ODI series

Spark

Global Moderator
i just don't get it because he seemed to hit the ball just fine when opening for hobart last season. is it simply a hard new ball thing?
Fast bowlers bowling conventionally, field up, orthodox batting getting runs etc

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Haven’t seen an Oz batsman with as limited hitting power since Dirk Wellham; just underlines it was mental laziness by the selectors to put Paine in the ODI side.
Is there actually any sound reasoning behind the desire to have the same 'keeper across formats?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
In fairness your bowling is your one weakness, that our batting is crud has neutralised that by and large
Certainly weaker than the batting, but they were genuinely good today considering the loss of Plunkett and no true 6th bowler. Biggest problem is a lack of depth.

ajdude

International Coach
Fast bowlers bowling conventionally, field up, orthodox batting getting runs etc
reckon he made a few 80s and 90s though the last couple of seasons which would mean he's batted well to the opposite of the things you've listed, could be entirely wrong though.

i wouldn't mind seeing stoinis further up the order, white looked pretty comfortable until he went out though

edit: he made one 70, one 80 and one 90 and went out a few times in the 50s/60s so yeah nvm

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this would only be the second or third bilateral ODI series in Australia, yeah?

Spikey

2010/11 was that weird 7 game series but i think just about everything else has been a tri-series.

edit lol slowpoke

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
For a WC in England, Anderson walks into this side. Either ahead of Plunkett though
Plunkett was unarguably one of the best bowlers in the world last year so not sure that argument holds up.

England has just about the flattest ODI pitches going, so if you play Jimmy you need to bowl his overs out pretty much straight up or he's useless, which then limits your death options.

Edit: Not the best, Hasan Ali probably has that sewn up.

Last edited:

Daemon

Love claiming a bounced catch do the Poms. It’s one of the 2,743,856 reasons they’re so despised.
It's because they grew up watching ponting claiming grounded catches #cheatingaussies

Anyways, how did Plunkett get injured?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
A terrific effort by England to win that when they were pretty much a bowler short and managed to defend 300 despite Root/Ali having to bowl almost 20 overs.

It was a fascinating match to watch in many aspects tonight. I reckon Australia weren't expecting England to play as well as they did in the first two matches and really put in a concerted effort to lift their game which was evidenced by their excellent ground fielding. But England's self-belief stood tall when it mattered and Australia's shoddy team selection didn't help them. I know it's only a couple of matches but Paine as a No 7 batsman looks like a mistake; could barely get it off the square at times and was basically helping England by staying in; the icing on the cake was taking the strike at the start of the final over.

And while Paine struggled, Smith wasn't much better. Perhaps he's drained after the intense effort in the Ashes series but even against Root & Ali he could only intermittently get singles and relentlessly hit balls to mid-wicket. If Australia were 3-0 up I reckon they'd rest him but with the side struggling so badly and desperate for a win he'll keep playing.

Like I posted previously, I'm not convinced that Cummins should be the automatic ODI selection that he currently is. Record isn't great and not particularly adaptable when things get tough as they did in the closing overs tonight.

I just reckon the Australian hierarchy have gone to sleep with regards to planning for the 2019 WC over the past 12 months and seemed to think what worked in 2015 will work again. It all seems very random at the moment and tbh I can't really see them winning it, especially in English conditions.

In contrast, England look good things to be there at the end of the 2019 WC; only doubt I have about them is how much they lost their nerve in that CT semi against Pakistan when they went against their fearless nature and became timid and let Pakistan dominate. But they look the team to beat atm.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cummins is ordinary in ODIs. Total one trick pony at the moment, just back of length pace with nothing else.