• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia v England post-Ashes ODI series

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Surely Lynn is best suited to opening in ODI format?

He's best at going super hard, he's not a great rotator of the strike - at least get his eye in against the quicks early.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah let him bomb away at the start imo. If they do that then Finch to three maybe and TPC four.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Khawaja must be a decent chance. I would put him ahead of S Marsh. Short will get talked about quite a bit and I think Ashton Turner should be in the mix too.

Unless there is an injury, whoever is named will be a backup IMO.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
After watching Jhye & Tye in their last two BBL games, I have suddenly grown very pessimistic about the Aussies chances in this series.

Gob

International Coach
Smith and Lehmann are constantly making disparaging comments about Maxwell in the media. It's grotesque.
Smith tends to do that to others as well (Lyon last season)

As Steve Waugh pointed out that is an area he should improve. Keep the criticism in side closed doors.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I don't mind public attacks on the entire team if they play terribly ala post-Hobart but I don't really like publicly calling out individuals.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Not mention it was undeserved. Maxwell is probably the fittest cricketer in Australia and the leading SS runs scorer. He has improved his technique in the long-form of the game more than any cricketer in the last 18 months. Suggesting he has to train :smarter: is completely unwarranted.

The :funky stuff: bit is even more stupid coming from Smith, whose technique is funkier than James Brown.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not mention it was undeserved. Maxwell is probably the fittest cricketer in Australia and the leading SS runs scorer. He has improved his technique in the long-form of the game more than any cricketer in the last 18 months. Suggesting he has to train :smarter: is completely unwarranted.

The :funky stuff: bit is even more stupid coming from Smith, whose technique is funkier than James Brown.
I'm interested to know what is the basis for this claim?

Some cricketers training ethics are legendary, Ricky Ponting for eg was well known to always be first in and last out of any training session his entire career. Alastair Cook is mega fit, never ever been beaten in a beep test by anyone, and that includes some professional athletes from outside of cricket. But I can't say I've ever heard such things about Maxwell??

Edit:

I'm totally in agreement that these comments were poor by Smith and should never have been made publicly, but I'm also inclined to think in this case there is probably no smoke without fire.

Last edited:

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
"Probably" based on the standard of his fielding, his running between the wickets, his observable stamina and his observable physique.

ftr I took the comments about "training smarter" to be in reference to his cricket skills rather than fitness levels. Nobody is going to convince me Ussie is fitter than Maxi.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm interested to know what is the basis for this claim?

Some cricketers training ethics are legendary, Ricky Ponting for eg was well known to always be first in and last out of any training session his entire career. Alastair Cook is mega fit, never ever been beaten in a beep test by anyone, and that includes some professional athletes from outside of cricket. But I can't say I've ever heard such things about Maxwell??

Edit:

I'm totally in agreement that these comments were poor by Smith and should never have been made publicly, but I'm also inclined to think in this case there is probably no smoke without fire.
I don't know if there is any "fire" tbh, just Smith blowing a bit of smoke because he doesn't like the guy

"Probably" based on the standard of his fielding, his running between the wickets, his observable stamina and his observable physique.

ftr I took the comments about "training smarter" to be in reference to his cricket skills rather than fitness levels.
Nobody is going to convince me Ussie is fitter than Maxi.
Yeah it definitely had nothing to do with fitness. He gave the impression it was more to do with Maxwell practising all his reverse-sweeps and switch hits etc. a lot when Smith thinks he should just work on the basics.

Last edited: