• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia v England post-Ashes ODI series

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't England's ODI side good these days? Ours certainly isn't.
Yeah, but Australia have barely lost more than 2-3 ODIs at home over the last 4 years or so. They tend to win bilateral ODI series against England home and away. England's ODI bowling still sucks.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I like the squad overall. I thought Richardson would get selected, both he and Tye did well in the domestic one dayers and both (Tye especially)have done well in the Bash.

Lynn is the one selection I dont get. Everything about him screams T20 Cricket and he just doesnt seem match fit. Should have been added once the T20s started.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lynn is the one selection I dont get. Everything about him screams T20 Cricket and he just doesnt seem match fit. Should have been added once the T20s started.
The main thing going for him is that England's bowling should suit his batting quite well.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean it's also kind of unclear how we should best use him? I guess they'll bat him at 4 or something but I would consider opening and basically use him as a free wicket, just to add as many as possible as quickly as possible before the "real" batting order starts

Top_Cat

I like Maxwell and I'm a bit surprised the Aussie team hasn't found some way to work with him, tbh. He's that lone wolf type, like Pietersen was but until recently with a tighter leash on him when it doesn't come off. Maybe the selectors feel he's not reigning it in when appropriate any more, his out cricket in India wasn't pretty. Who knows how he's responding at training, etc.

Either way, it's kinda incredible how quickly his stock has fallen. A couple months ago he was the new Test number 6. Now he's totally on the outs and might be struggling to make the T20I side even.

Last edited:

Starfighter

I mean it's also kind of unclear how we should best use him? I guess they'll bat him at 4 or something but I would consider opening and basically use him as a free wicket, just to add as many as possible as quickly as possible before the "real" batting order starts
I think you're probably right that he'll bat four. I think it's faintly possible that they'll bung him in at three like the last time he played, but now that Smith's moved up there I don't see him moving down.

At least England won't have an accurate finger spinner, especially a leftie. I think he'll find Ali easier to get away than he normally does against spin. And he should be licking his lips at England's pace bowling.

I'm more worried about him in the field. He doesn't look anywhere near fit enough to field for 50 overs, is barely bending to pick up the ball, barely moving and is underarming it in. He's obviously worried about that shoulder and could be a big liability.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Lynn will probably be on the bench to start the series and will come into the XI when Smith and Warner are rested.

Spikey

i kind of assumed he did that to make a point
What's the point though? To throw Maxwell under the bus, again? I'm sure that will improve whatever issues they have with him. Do it behind close doors. His recent OD numbers speak for itself.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He'll definitely play. He'll come in for Handcomb, and MMarsh will play over Stoinis.
4 Head 5 Marsh 6 Stoinis could easily happen and is my preferred option.

Zamps 8, Head 2 overs and Marsh and Stoinis around 5 each behind 3 NSW quicks who should get through the other 30.

Lynn at 4 is awesome if we are say 2/180 after 34.. Not sure if we are 2/18 after 3.4, perhaps noone else would be realiable either.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maxwell's bowling figures dont do him justice in this format but he's often been our sole spinner and he gets the job done.

Big mistake leaving him out.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm actually a lot more interested in this than the Ashes. At least it's not a foregone conclusion and hopefully will be more of a contest.

stephen

I think Lehmann doesn't like Maxwell and he's been in Smith's ear about it.

Maxwell is better at first class/t20 cricket than OD cricket anyway imo.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Lynn and Jhye Richardson are the only selections that are somewhat questionable in my opinion. I rate Richardson highly, he has a lot of potential, but still seems too raw and inexperienced at this stage.

stephen

Lynn and Jhye Richardson are the only selections that are somewhat questionable in my opinion. I rate Richardson highly, he has a lot of potential, but still seems too raw and inexperienced at this stage.
The selection of Lynn is strange but he has such huge star power I can understand it.