• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia v England post-Ashes ODI series

ajdude

International Coach
I've found Mark Taylor's commentary on ODI and T20's in the past few seasons to be particularly outdated.
yeah he seems to think it's all a great novelty and he's along for the ride. in saying that him and slater seem to be the most knowledgable about cricket that happens overseas so i cut them some slack

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hadn’t seen much of him but really like Tye’s action. Bit of Ryan Harris about him. If he threw it up there more, could be dangerous in the same way. Probably just lacks the extra yard Harris had.

ajdude

International Coach
haha remember that ODI in the UAE where maxwell defended **** all in the last over? such a meme

Bijed

International Regular
Not going to pretend I wasn't getting pretty nervous at the end there, and obviously as an Englishman I wasn't comfortable even when Root and Roy were cruising home, but YESSS GET IN THERE!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disappointed to see England win a match on tour. Great knock Roy though. Quality.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Went to the game tonight; good entertainment, certainly better than most of the MCG Test I went to several days of. I notice there's a lot of mocking of the crowd tonight (just over 37k) but that's pretty decent by modern MCG ODI standards; it's actually higher than when the these sides played in 2010/11 and only slightly lower than in 13/14. The days of the mega ODI crowds have been gone for 15-20 years in Australia, it's annoying when certain types ignore that to suggest today's turnout shows 'ODIs are dead'.

Bijed

International Regular
Went to the game tonight; good entertainment, certainly better than most of the MCG Test I went to several days of. I notice there's a lot of mocking of the crowd tonight (just over 37k) but that's pretty decent by modern MCG ODI standards; it's actually higher than when the these sides played in 2010/11 and only slightly lower than in 13/14. The days of the mega ODI crowds have been gone for 15-20 years in Australia, it's annoying when certain types ignore that to suggest today's turnout shows 'ODIs are dead'.
Test cricket killing them imo

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Oddest stat for the night is that Marcus Stoinis has had an excellent start to his ODI career, scoring over 400 runs at an average of 81 and SR of 105, and yet he's played in 1 win and 8 losses. His batting effort was enormously impressive to watch live at the ground; his dismissal was pretty crucial because he looked like he could've scored 20-30 runs in those final 3 overs.

As for the match itself, I reckon Moeen Ali's bowling performance was underrated; not only did was he economical and got a crucial wicket but his bowling tying down of Marsh when he and Finch were on full-out attack I think played a part in Finch trying that risky shot to try and regain momentum for the innings and getting dismissed.

His figures looked ordinary, but I thought Zampa was very good in his first 5-6 overs with his accuracy and keeping Root & Roy in relative check. Unfortunately that overturned LBW and almost getting Roy caught on the boundary (instead it went for six) seemed to dispirit him a bit and his discipline fell away

I know he bowled well in his later spells but I don't really see why Cummins is an automatic pick for the ODI side. His overall ODI record isn't particularly impressive and it seemed he was given as many chances as he has because they wanted to keep him in the international frame until he was ready to get back and playing Tests. But he doesn't seem a particularly smart ODI bowler; there's no real guile to his bowling as he seems to be all about bowling short and trying to bounce the batsmen out. That can work on occasion but it came horribly unstuck in his opening couple of overs tonight and Australia never really recovered.