• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the SCG

Bijed

International Regular
I know the 4th test has only just finished, but might as well start this one now.

Hopefully a better pitch for this one (can't really be worse I guess).

I guess there are some selection questions for this one:

- Does Bird get another go? I say yes. The only reason he shouldn't is if it's of the utmost importance that Starc plays and I guess he'd have to go instead of Hazlewood or Cummins (assuming they're both ok fitness wise)

- Should Moeen be dropped/rested? Again, I think so. We could even drop him for Foakes or someone if you're dead-set against Crane playing and just use Root/Malan to make up for (and probably no worse than) his bowling.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well except on Ali. He should play. He's the best spinner England have on this tour and he will give England the best chance if winning the test.

Bijed

International Regular
Well except on Ali. He should play. He's the best spinner England have on this tour and he will give England the best chance if winning the test.
On paper, yeah, but he's been poor enough on this tour for me to lose faith in him for the near future. I'm hopeful that it's just a case of he needs a bit of a break for his various niggles to clear up and for him to get his head straight and even if I would drop him now, I'd have him back for the tour of NZ.

That said, thinking about it some more, if the SCG is going to be offering turn so that you'd definitely want a spinner, I probably would opt for him over Crane after all. If it's not going to be helping him, rest him and I'm not fussed whether they replace him with Crane or a batsman.

I suppose Cook and Broad managed to come in with good performances after a lot of people were starting to write them off (myself included for Cook), so no reason why Mo can't do the same. Although, the Guardian is suggesting that he'll be dropped: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/30/england-show-abilities-mcg-joe-root

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
It has come to a hilarious point where if Smith doesn't ton up i'd be very disappointed.

fredfertang

I think Crane should play - he might well get Kegga'd, but then again his luck may hold and he can't be less successful than Moeen - and even if he is knocked out of the attack it won't much matter as he won't be called on again, given that the Boltonian Warne is going to be a fixture in the England side for years to come

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t think it’s overly fair to play Ali on the least friendly decks for finger spinners in the country least friendly to them and not give him a shot in Sydney where it may suit him.

Daemon

I don’t think it’s overly fair to play Ali on the least friendly decks for finger spinners in the country least friendly to them and not give him a shot in Sydney where it may suit him.
He's taken 3 wickets in 4 games. You should be able to play on literal roads and have more wickets than that bowling with the wrong arm.

flibbertyjibber

I think Crane should play - he might well get Kegga'd, but then again his luck may hold and he can't be less successful than Moeen - and even if he is knocked out of the attack it won't much matter as he won't be called on again, given that the Boltonian Warne is going to be a fixture in the England side for years to come
Moeen has been so bad that he deserves dropping (preferably from a great height) and Crane should play.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Will Agar come in, do they want two spinners? Creates an interesting selection quandary if Starc is fit.

I don't want Agar to play particularly, but surely he's not going to displace Haze or Cummins, so if Starc's fit and he plays, Agar has to displace Mitch Marsh, doesn't he?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Smith seems to be significantly better than Kohli in tests while in one dayers they’re comparable with Kohli maybe slightly in front...is that an accurate assessment?

Bijed

International Regular
Smith seems to be significantly better than Kohli in tests while in one dayers they’re comparable with Kohli maybe slightly in front...is that an accurate assessment?
Smith's certainly not a bad ODI player, but Kohli's a different class altogether I'd say. Even more so in T20s

fredfertang

Why the **** would you play 2 spinners?
Why not? We've done it there the past two years. It's the ground traditionally in Australia where you do that. :mellow:
If they prepare a real bunsen it will deflect the fact that their ball tampering wasn't the reason Australia won the first three Tests, and will also enable Smith to get a hatful of wickets and outdo TOTAB

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
On paper, yeah, but he's been poor enough on this tour for me to lose faith in him for the near future. I'm hopeful that it's just a case of he needs a bit of a break for his various niggles to clear up and for him to get his head straight and even if I would drop him now, I'd have him back for the tour of NZ.

That said, thinking about it some more, if the SCG is going to be offering turn so that you'd definitely want a spinner, I probably would opt for him over Crane after all. If it's not going to be helping him, rest him and I'm not fussed whether they replace him with Crane or a batsman.

I suppose Cook and Broad managed to come in with good performances after a lot of people were starting to write them off (myself included for Cook), so no reason why Mo can't do the same. Although, the Guardian is suggesting that he'll be dropped: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/30/england-show-abilities-mcg-joe-root

This is good.......bring on the Mo ton and 5fer now you've written him off <recalls your comments on Jimmy Anderson at the start of the English summer:ph34r:>

Burgey

If they prepare a real bunsen it will deflect the fact that their ball tampering wasn't the reason Australia won the first three Tests, and will also enable Smith to get a hatful of wickets and outdo TOTAB
This would be a dark day indeed.