• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the SCG

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The "deserted" Day 5 MCG crowd still would have sold out most English grounds, I think.
If Aussies sincerely feel the need that English test crowds are now under par, and another thing you can throw at ''poms'' or whatever the hell you call us, then crikey, test cricket is truly buggered. It is basically Australian and English crowds which are the only reliable factors here! We, collectively, are the only people who watch the stuff now, and now we learn the English could do a bit better on that score?

Spark

Global Moderator
No, it's just that your grounds are comparatively small. So of course you're gonna get way more sellouts at grounds which seat 18k, 20k, 25k rather than grounds which seat 50k+ like the Australia multi-purpose stadiums. That's the point of big stadiums, you actually get people watching the game.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The "deserted" Day 5 MCG crowd still would have sold out most English grounds, I think.
14000 in on day 5 so not quite........but not far off some of them i suppose.

But had that day 5 happened against any side other than England youd be lucky if there was 2000 in the ground.

S.Kennedy

No, it's just that your grounds are comparatively small. So of course you're gonna get way more sellouts at grounds which seat 18k, 20k, 25k rather than grounds which seat 50k+ like the Australia multi-purpose stadiums. That's the point of big stadiums, you actually get people watching the game.
If you are having an argument that the English do not watch test cricket in sufficient number, enough of an argument to use in a regular pom-baiting session, then we should just cancel this sport right now as we are about the only country who does watch the bloody thing, the other being your lot!!

Talk about biting the hand that feeds?

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If you are having an argument that the English do not watch test cricket in sufficient number, enough of an argument to use in a regular pom-baiting session, then we should just cancel this sport right now as we are about the only country who does watch the bloody thing, the other being your lot!!

Talk about biting the hand that feeds?
I dont think Spark was saying that at all.

He was saying that we have small grounds so they sell out more than the big grounds in Aus......which is true.

S.Kennedy

I dont think Spark was saying that at all.

He was saying that we have small grounds so they sell out more than the big grounds in Aus......which is true.
But we seem to sell more for days 4 and 5 so it balances itself out. The Australians I believe are ''at the beach'' on those days which does not happen in our ''dreary grey island'' full of ''pig'' people.

Victor Ian

International Coach
But we seem to sell more for days 4 and 5 so it balances itself out. The Australians I believe are ''at the beach'' on those days which does not happen in our ''dreary grey island'' full of ''pig'' people.
That's because of all the people who missed out on getting in early. In Melbourne there was no one who wanted to go to day 1-4 who couldn't get a ticket. Though 80 odd thousand attended day 1 I could have strolled up at any time and got myself a seat. We can afford to go the beach on the Saturday of a dull and dreary test because we were able to get in earlier. You can't blame us for going to the beach - every Englishman and his dog would go to the beach too if they had Australian beaches (yes - even 'Melbourne' beaches)

I understand your like for the more traditional ground. There is a very different atmosphere there. Big Colosseum can be noisy affairs whereas the English grounds just seem more polite. That is most probably a simple matter of more people making more decibels.

TNT

Banned
No, the total for the MCG test was 260,000 divide that by five days and its 52,000 per day. How many England test matches have 260,000 spectators total for a match?.

S.Kennedy

I do not really know why you are going 'national' on me. I similarly criticised the Lord's media centre as being an eye sore. An ugly cricket ground is an ugly cricket ground regardless of where it is placed.

No, the total for the MCG test was 260,000 divide that by five days and its 52,000 per day. How many England test matches have 260,000 spectators total for a match?.
And when Australia play the Windies and you are all watching that Twenty20 garbage down the road while the test team are playing to one man and his dog? This happened a few years ago, that series where Voges and Warner made two billion runs on roads, and caused a huge national debate on the future of test cricket. Besides, even if you're correct that ''England's interest in the game is sub par'', that should be as equally concerning to an Australian (test cricket fan) as it is to an Englishmen, and not merely something one should use as part of their national barracking. I repeat: if England's viewership is ''low'' (to an Australian) what does that say about the other test playing nations who produce significantly lower (than England's) crowds?

PS

My interest in traditional cricket grounds is just me being me. I love traditional grounds. I actually liked the look of that ground in Sydney the women played at - the one where they put the SCG stands. I praised it on this forum. Trust me, I'd sooner criticise an English ground desecrated through some modern anomaly than an Australian one. I like grounds like New Road and Taunton. Proper cricket grounds.

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
I do not really know why you are going 'national' on me. I similarly criticised the Lord's media centre as being an eye sore. An ugly cricket ground is an ugly cricket ground regardless of where it is placed.

And when Australia play the Windies and you are all watching that Twenty20 garbage down the road while the test team are playing to one man and his dog? This happened a few years ago, that series where Voges and Warner made two billion runs on roads, and caused a huge national debate on the future of test cricket. Besides, even if you're correct that ''England's interest in the game is sub par'', that should be as equally concerning to an Australian (test cricket fan) as it is to an Englishmen, and not merely something one should use as part of their national barracking. I repeat: if England's viewership is ''low'' (to an Australian) what does that say about the other test playing nations who produce significantly lower (than England's) crowds?

PS

My interest in traditional cricket grounds is just me being me. I love traditional grounds. I actually liked the look of that ground in Sydney the women played at - the one where they put the SCG stands. I praised it on this forum. Trust me, I'd sooner criticise an English ground desecrated through some modern anomaly than an Australian one. I like grounds like New Road and Taunton. Proper cricket grounds.
No I just said you are wrong and it does not balance out. More people attend matches when the grounds are bigger than matches that are played at smaller grounds. I used the match totals from the MCG and you would need a ground with a capacity of 52,000 full every day for five days to equal that.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woakes ruled out with side strain, Crane to debut. This is going to be really interesting, and possibly horrific. I don't see him doing better than Borthwick.

I'll be interested to see what the pitch is doing now Parker's retired, although I won't get most of the first two days. Crapinfo claiming enough grass that Agar definitely won't play.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woakes ruled out with side strain, Crane to debut. This is going to be really interesting, and possibly horrific. I don't see him doing better than Borthwick.

I'll be interested to see what the pitch is doing now Parker's retired, although I won't get most of the first two days. Crapinfo claiming enough grass that Agar definitely won't play.
Borthwick hardly even bowled didn't he? IIRC he came on mostly at unimportant times of the game, got hit around a bit but also took some meaningless wickets when Aussies were slogging

Starfighter

Yeah, and I don't see Crane doing much better. Good chance for a Kerriganing.

(it'll be embarrassing if I have to eat my words on this one)

fredfertang

I fear for Crane - would be delighted, as no doubt would he be, if he could end the Test with the same figures Borthwick managed

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crane's more of a Warne-type bowler, who obviously took a lot of SCG wickets but had to pay more for them than usual. Without checking, my sense is guys who have good one-off performances tend to try to rip it sideways more like SCG McGill. Think Lyon will begin to repair his record there this time 'round too.

S.Kennedy

No I just said you are wrong and it does not balance out. More people attend matches when the grounds are bigger than matches that are played at smaller grounds. I used the match totals from the MCG and you would need a ground with a capacity of 52,000 full every day for five days to equal that.
That makes absolutely no sense at all if you are playing to empty stadia.

S.Kennedy

Borthwick was really a batsman/part-timer when he played for England. England selected him as a front-line spinner!! It would have made more sense if they selected him as a number 3.