• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the SCG

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
What is a traditional ground? Do mean they should play in front of 10,000 people with a few quaint stands, maybe 10 rows deep? If you want that, go watch grade cricket. Adelaide's redevelopment is great. The stands look great too.

Maybe not to far in the future, they can create virtual grounds, so you can have the option to watch a quaint ground, or a 100,000 capacity Colosseum, while the action on the grass is untouched. Perhaps even let you edit the play as well, so you can substitute a winning team when yours is stinking up the place.

It wouldn't be too hard to photoshop on the go nowadays.
They can play in front of what they want, just saying that I prefer traditional grounds and it is a shame the Adelaide Oval was desecrated like that.

One of the reasons I travel a lot to away matches as you can select quainter county grounds and 'out grounds'.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
They can play in front of what they want, just saying that I prefer traditional grounds and it is a shame the Adelaide Oval was desecrated like that.

One of the reasons I travel a lot to away matches as you can select quainter county grounds and 'out grounds'.
The Adelaide Oval is becoming one of 'the' venues for cricket now. Hardly 'desecrated' is it

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Well that's all fine and dandy for county cricket, but it is hardly the same for International cricket is it? We want 40,000 in the grounds not 8,000.

And really mate you should just not use the sort of rhetoric you do when describing something you've never experienced. I'm sure there are plenty that would say they prefer the old AO, but I would wager that not one that has been to both pre and post rennos would ever say it has been "desecrated".

It is an incredible ground that has done really well to mix the old with the new, creating a modern sports stadium that gets used all year round but has still retained some of its old charm.

It's a shame that Perth didn't try and do the same thing with the WACA.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Well that's all fine and dandy for county cricket, but it is hardly the same for International cricket is it? We want 40,000 in the grounds not 8,000.

And really mate you should just not use the sort of rhetoric you do when describing something you've never experienced. I'm sure there are plenty that would say they prefer the old AO, but I would wager that not one that has been to both pre and post rennos would ever say it has been "desecrated".

It is an incredible ground that has done really well to mix the old with the new, creating a modern sports stadium that gets used all year round but has still retained some of its old charm.

It's a shame that Perth didn't try and do the same thing with the WACA.
These modern capacity inflating monstrosities are merely to play nonsensical Twenty20, other sports, or to have Jagger wriggling his wrinkly behind to Jumping Jack Flash. None of it is about test cricket.

ajdude

International Coach
These modern capacity inflating monstrosities are merely to play nonsensical Twenty20, other sports, or to have Jagger wriggling his wrinkly behind to Jumping Jack Flash. None of it is about test cricket.
you actually sound about 90 years old haha

legit nothing against your opinion but yeah for once Burgey seems young after reading that

S.Kennedy

Get the same and struggling are tremendously different words
In England we can sell day 4 tickets for £60 and it will be a sell-out. Lord's flog their day 5 tickets for something like £20? Now I realise the capacities here are smaller, but I've just watched a deserted MCG days 4-5, deserted that is except the Barmy Army. Strange comment in light of that!

Hard as it is to accept but that is one of the few things our countries have in common now, test cricket doing well. Now the rest of the test cricketing nations...

Another discussion.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the guy who took over as groundsman for this one game should be renamed as Roy Park in honour of the Victorian who got a golden duck in his one and only test innings

Spark

Global Moderator
In England we can sell day 4 tickets for £60 and it will be a sell-out. Lord's flog their day 5 tickets for something like £20? Now I realise the capacities here are smaller, but I've just watched a deserted MCG days 4-5, deserted that is except the Barmy Army. Strange comment in light of that!

Hard as it is to accept but that is one of the few things our countries have in common now, test cricket doing well. Now the rest of the test cricketing nations...

Another discussion.
The "deserted" Day 5 MCG crowd still would have sold out most English grounds, I think.

Spark

Global Moderator
Remember, the only way to protect Test cricket is to play it on tiny grounds behind pay TV paywalls so only rich ****s can access it. That'll save the game from the toxic influence of the masses, by killing it stone dead.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Remember, the only way to protect Test cricket is to play it on tiny grounds behind pay TV paywalls so only rich ****s can access it. That'll save the game from the toxic influence of the masses, by killing it stone dead.
Are you lot trying to disagree with me or agree with me here?

As critics of the ECB come, they do not come more fierce than me! Just ask around haha