• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the SCG

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have a vague memory of the Sydney test starting New Years day.

Adelaide used to be on Australia Day weekend back when there used to be full tours
I remember when it was in days before I was drinking so must have been 94/95 tour and Boycott was on TMS saying he went to bed before midnight.

Burgey

That’s because no one wanted to stay up and have a drink with the ****

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, think CA wanted to make sure that they maximise the weekend - make Monday the fifth day. Fair enough too with some people back at work. Like me :(

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The Sydney Test of the 1994/95 Ashes started on New Year's Day, but that meant the Melbourne Test actually started on Christmas Eve.

In anycase, the real big question for this upcoming match is: can it be the first one this summer that hasn't been impacted by rain delays? After the debate stirred up here by the bad weather at the start of the Champions Trophy in England having all 5 Tests rain-impacted would be a shame Australian cricket will never recover from.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The Sydney Test of the 1994/95 Ashes started on New Year's Day, but that meant the Melbourne Test actually started on Christmas Eve.

In anycase, the real big question for this upcoming match is: can it be the first one this summer that hasn't been impacted by rain delays? After the debate stirred up here by the bad weather at the start of the Champions Trophy in England having all 5 Tests rain-impacted would be a shame Australian cricket will never recover from.
I should be able to remember this, but I can't remember this test starting Xmas Eve and there being a rest day on Xmas.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
remember when we used to argue who was better out of KW, Root and Smith
lol roots not even top 4 in the world. bloke is an absolute flake. imagine averaging 50 odd because thats the exact score you make every innings.

shambles and a disgrace.

Victor Ian

International Coach
lol roots not even top 4 in the world. bloke is an absolute flake. imagine averaging 50 odd because thats the exact score you make every innings.

shambles and a disgrace.
Why? He still makes the 100 runs per test that your other guy who gets a hundred then bust in the next innings scores.

TheJediBrah

That's a strange thing to think given all games got a result regardless, except Melbourne which probably would have been a draw anyway. IIRC the Champions trophy had plenty of games washed out and incomplete.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain

shambles and a disgrace.
Why is he a ''shambles and a disgrace''? That seems an incredibly harsh statement, especially the latter word, even if one was highly critical of his conversion rate (or some other aspect of his cricketing skills?)!

Victor Ian

International Coach
Oh well stiff ****. I'm surprised that the Melbourne Boxing day thing is only recent. I have all along thought this was a thing since before I was born. As it is, it only really started since I started watching cricket.

Now for my favourite test each year. I have always loved the Sydney test having grown up with it being the only one we stood a chance for a win against the West Indies on and the one where Border was a dangerous bowler. Their stands are nice too. Melbourne was always big, but ugly. Plus I got to watch the Sydney test on tv.

S.Kennedy

Correct me if I'm wrong but the SCG is the only nice Australian Test venue remaining now that they've buggered up the Adelaide Oval? The SCG still has those lovely green Victorian stands, the Ladies' pavilion and the members'.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Correct me if I'm wrong but the SCG is the only nice Australian Test venue remaining now that they've buggered up the Adelaide Oval? The SCG still has those lovely green Victorian stands, the Ladies' pavilion and the members'.
You know they really haven't buggered up the Adelaide Oval at all. Having watched cricket there before and after the rennos, they have done an amazing job with retaining most of the grounds charm.

S.Kennedy

You know they really haven't buggered up the Adelaide Oval at all. Having watched cricket there before and after the rennos, they have done an amazing job with retaining most of the grounds charm.
Looks **** to me, albeit just from the cameras. I like traditional cricket grounds.

Victor Ian

International Coach
What is a traditional ground? Do mean they should play in front of 10,000 people with a few quaint stands, maybe 10 rows deep? If you want that, go watch grade cricket. Adelaide's redevelopment is great. The stands look great too.

Maybe not to far in the future, they can create virtual grounds, so you can have the option to watch a quaint ground, or a 100,000 capacity Colosseum, while the action on the grass is untouched. Perhaps even let you edit the play as well, so you can substitute a winning team when yours is stinking up the place.

It wouldn't be too hard to photoshop on the go nowadays.

Spark

Global Moderator
Remember, doing anything to get more people watching cricket is terrible and wrecks the game. Can't have the purity of the sport wrecked by people now.