• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Fans - how is this series shaping up compared to 06/07 and 13/14?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More interested to see if Australia has found he ability to take the initiative away from an opponent over the next three days rather than get consumed by adverse momentum.

Compton

International Debutant
This series should be worse than the other two for England tbh.

06/07 they were creamed by an excellent Australia side.

13/14 they were done-in by the best fast bowling performance you’re ever likely to see.

This series Australia haven’t even played well. Smith has scored a stupid number of runs, but England have been blown away by their own ineptitude rather than anything coming at them under a baggy green.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

13/14 they were done-in by the best fast bowling performance you’re ever likely to see.

This series Australia haven’t even played well. Smith has scored a stupid number of runs, but England have been blown away by their own ineptitude rather than anything coming at them under a baggy green.
People said that about 13/14 too. On paper that was a pretty weak side that got spanked 0-3 a few months ago. The batting also collapsed a few times with Haddin bailing them out.
Johnson was not even in the side and only got picked once Pattinson was ruled out.

I don't see a lot of difference between the two.
13/14 was in terms of core of the side also England's greatest Test side give or take a few names. Under Flower, it was the most successful unit and had won in India just a year before. That side should not have lost 0-5 in the manner that it did.

This side on the other hand has been average to below average for a while.
Drew 1-1 in Bangladesh
Lost 0-4 in India
2-2 against Pakistan at home

Everyone expected this side to get smashed 5-0 this time.

JRC67

U19 12th Man

Warner and particularly Smith are much better batsmen now. Clarke was good but the remainder of the batting were solid pros not test greats. Lyon is a much improved bowler. 2013 bowlers, not convinced Johnson anywhere near as dangerous as we made him look a lot of our much hyped batting line up just backed away. Harris was a very good bowler, but Siddle isn't as good as any of the current trio, although a good pro.

On paper it was pretty close to England's best batting line up for 40 years and yet all the big names averaged up 30. Bowling wise The Aussies just carted us around the park at will. Scary that Ali has been pretty awful here and yet economy wise only Anderson was better in 2013, by a pretty insignificant .11 runs an over. I

Apart from possible the 4th test England never even got in to a position to threaten a win. At least this time around they have played well enough to get chances. 2013 was the worst I've seen because on paper we had a good team. The application was just abysmal and it was abject surrender throughout.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warner and particularly Smith are much better batsmen now. Clarke was good but the remainder of the batting were solid pros not test greats. Lyon is a much improved bowler. 2013 bowlers, not convinced Johnson anywhere near as dangerous as we made him look a lot of our much hyped batting line up just backed away. Harris was a very good bowler, but Siddle isn't as good as any of the current trio, although a good pro.

On paper it was pretty close to England's best batting line up for 40 years and yet all the big names averaged up 30. Bowling wise The Aussies just carted us around the park at will. Scary that Ali has been pretty awful here and yet economy wise only Anderson was better in 2013, by a pretty insignificant .11 runs an over. I

Apart from possible the 4th test England never even got in to a position to threaten a win. At least this time around they have played well enough to get chances. 2013 was the worst I've seen because on paper we had a good team. The application was just abysmal and it was abject surrender throughout.
After what Johnson did to South Africa over there, I think you're being a bit harsh on the English batsmen.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah any doubts over whether it was England bad or Johnson ****ing incredible should have died with that ball to Faf.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Yeah any doubts over whether it was England bad or Johnson ****ing incredible should have died with that ball to Faf.
Johnson was a good bowler who could bowl some incredible balls. England made him look the greatest bowler of all time in that series, which he isn't. Yes he bowled well, but not well enough to average 12 or 13 on some decent enough batting pitches.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnson was a good bowler who could bowl some incredible balls. England made him look the greatest bowler of all time in that series, which he isn't. Yes he bowled well, but not well enough to average 12 or 13 on some decent enough batting pitches.
He was a genuine ATG for those 2 series mate.....no question about it. He would have ripped through any batting lineup in the world in that few months.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one who saw him bowl in that series wasn't at least a little bit frightened and in awe of his bowling.

Burgey

In that series he was as great as any bowler in history.

Burgey

Surely 13/14 would b the most disappointing for England fans. 06/07 was massively hyped out here but ou had an atg side wanting revenge. In 13/14 England had just won the Ashes a few months previously and had done well here in 10/11. This series has pretty much gone exactly as expected hasn’t it? Not a great austraLian side but decent at home against an England side no one really expected to do well here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surely 13/14 would b the most disappointing for England fans. 06/07 was massively hyped out here but ou had an atg side wanting revenge. In 13/14 England had just won the Ashes a few months previously and had done well here in 10/11. This series has pretty much gone exactly as expected hasn’t it? Not a great austraLian side but decent at home against an England side no one really expected to do well here.
Correct.

While there’s no doubt Australia have been comfortably the better side, I feel if you take Smith out and put Stokes in we might have at least nicked a Test.

But that aside. As you say we came with obvious shortcomings, but we aren’t really going away from it feeling like they gave up. They just weren’t up to it.

Would have been nice if Root could have scored more runs but it wouldn’t have made too much difference (except perhaps in this current test)

stephen

Honestly peak Smith plus competent batting from the others plus 3 of the big 4 quicks playing plus Lyon wasn't going to end any other way.

2013/14 whitewash was so out of the blue. Johnson's bowling really was so unexpected most Australian fans didn't want him there at the start of the series. The English were coming with their best bat of the last three decades, their best spinner in my lifetime, an opener who had pillaged a zillion runs in his previous series here and a fast bowling attack that had done the business before. I was expecting no better than 3-1 in that series but probably 3-2 or 2-2.

That series would have hurt as a fan. Hell, 2015 hurt like hell as a fan.

Pothas

Yeah this has probably been our most boring ashes defeat I can remember, certainly the last 3 Tests. Has been pretty similar to losing in India last year.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'm trying to remember moments that I can remember in this Ashes and there were only really two, the first day at Perth and England's little fight back day 4 at Adelaide. The rest of it all seems to merge into one, granted I've not watched much of tests 4 and 5.

TNT

Banned
english cricket is pretty boring so its no surprise that their test matches are going to be dull.