cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 185
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: England Fans - how is this series shaping up compared to 06/07 and 13/14?

  1. #31
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    58,824
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Poor in India and Sri Lanka. Average in England. Piss poor in New Zealand. Boycott only failed (ironically) in New Zealand; he is 45 plus in every test environment, and also came against a stronger era of bowling.
    Wish hed toured in 74/75.

  2. #32
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,682
    Hate boycott, useless old c**t

  3. #33
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    State Vice-Captain TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Poor in India and Sri Lanka. Average in England. Piss poor in New Zealand. Boycott only failed (ironically) in New Zealand; he is 45 plus in every test environment, and also came against a stronger era of bowling.
    Yes those amateurs were so much better than the professionals of today, Denis Lillee is so much better than Steyn. If Denis was around today his average would be around 12.
    If you nick it walk

  4. #34
    Cricketer Of The Year stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    7,902
    Ironically I think Warner would do better against the Windies quicks than he does on the slower, more spin friendly tracks of today. His game is all about using the pace and hitting the ball cleanly. I think he'd have been pretty good vs them.
    zorax and OverratedSanity like this.


  5. #35
    Hall of Fame Member GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    15,376
    England were just no chance in 06-7. The build up for that series was just immense. Nothing was going to stop straya. Nothing was going to stop Johnson and Rhino either.

    England have just kind of sucked this tour. Root. Cook. Broad. Jesus guys. Craig Overton has fought harder.

    Moeen has been particularly disappointing. His failures with the bat have just exposed the tail too frequently who have been more or less blown away by our attack.
    Last edited by GotSpin; 21-12-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

  6. #36
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,226
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Yes those amateurs were so much better than the professionals of today, Denis Lillee is so much better than Steyn. If Denis was around today his average would be around 12.
    Glad we agree. I consider the period approximating Boycott's test career to be one of the strongest for bowling and much stronger than today.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

  7. #37
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    State Vice-Captain TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Glad we agree. I consider the period approximating Boycott's test career to be one of the strongest for bowling and much stronger than today.
    So batsmen like Cook and Root probably would not have even made the england team in the 70's and 80's.

  8. #38
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    58,824
    Cook would have struggled to open in an era where Boycott and Gooch, among others, were options. Had Cook been picked though, he would have no doubt done well.

    Root would have made it.

    Incidentally, Steyn is probably the closest bowler around today, style-wise, to Lillee. Lillee has a broader repotoire as he got older though.
    Last edited by Burgey; 21-12-2017 at 09:35 PM.

  9. #39
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    State Vice-Captain TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Cook would have struggled to open in an era where Boycott and Gooch, among others, were options. Had Cook been picked though, he would have no doubt done well.

    Root would have made it.

    Incidentally, Steyn is probably the closest bowler around today, style-wise, to Lillee. Lillee has a broader repotoire as he got older though.
    As fast bowling is Cook's achilles heel and he would have done well, we can only assume that Warner would have thrived.

  10. #40
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    58,824
    Not necessarily

  11. #41
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    State Vice-Captain TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Not necessarily
    I'm all ears.

  12. #42
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,226
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    So batsmen like Cook and Root probably would not have even made the england team in the 70's and 80's.
    They'd struggle to get into Illingwoth's early 70s side - especially Cook as he'd be competing with Edrich and Boycott as an opener. They'd probably get into later sides.

    Are you seriously suggesting the bowling era of Steyn, Anderson/Broad, Ashwin/Jadeja etc is a better era than (leaving out England's bowlers) Holding, Marshall, Roberts, Croft, Marshall, Lillee, Thomson (albeit Boycott didn't face them two in their best series) and young Hadlee, Dev and Imran? There is no comparison!

    Do not forget that Boycott's 246* against the Indian spin trio somewhere near their peak at the beginning of his career: Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Bedi.

  13. #43
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,226
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    As fast bowling is Cook's achilles heel and he would have done well, we can only assume that Warner would have thrived.
    I wouldn't say that is true. I'd say it is more a case of full pitched off-4th stump bowling that is Cook's ''Achilles heel'.

  14. #44
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    State Vice-Captain TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Do not forget that Boycott's 246* against the Indian spin trio somewhere near their peak at the beginning of his career: Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Bedi.
    And then for the rest of the series made 25, 6, 3, 33, 10, 6

  15. #45
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Lyon's already better than Swann, and yes, Warner is at least on the level of Amiss and Boycott, if not definitively better
    Comparing players from different eras is all but impossible. Lyon has developed in to a very good finger spinner, particularly on Australian pitches where lateral movement is hard. He's the best spinner I've seen al exploiting over and under spin to get the bounce to vary and coupled with his accuracy it makes him very hard to get after. A couple of England batsman have used the slog sweep to spinners quite effectively and the variation in the bounce he generates pretty well negates that. He's been so effective against Ali in particular because what he does well really negates the way he plays spinners. I'd take Lyon over Swann in Australia or South African. Swann probably had a better bowling style for India. What is impressive is how far Lyon has developed his game in the last 2 years. He's probably at his peak now and playing very well on wickets he's developed his game to prosper on.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bat re-shaping
    By mezaire in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-10-2012, 02:40 AM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 20-04-2007, 03:57 PM
  3. England fans - who do you want to win?
    By marc71178 in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 20-04-2007, 02:44 PM
  4. A Christmas Gift to depressed England fans...
    By Oli Norwell in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-12-2006, 06:35 AM
  5. Latest news on how Bond is shaping up?
    By Blakey in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 26-01-2005, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •