• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the MCG

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I’d prefer a football code where every position is filled with the same body type - 6’3” 115kg Islander blokes playing every spot ftw.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Get rid of the rule. You don't need it. If the batsman thinks the bowling is dangerous, they can always tread on their stumps and avoid it. If they stay out there, they accept the danger.

I have been watching some youtube on guys in suits of armour and how well they could move. In this modern age, I can't see why they just don't do a proper overhaul of the helmet, so that it covers the whole head properly, is made of a thin flexible perspex to not break and has little fans inside to keep the head from overheating or fogging up. It would also sort out the flies issue and do away with sledging as the batsman could bat in the serenity of Celine Dion playing through headphones.

Burgey

And yeah, if you’re going to the footy in Sydney or brisbane you’re going to the NRL. If you’re going to the rugby you say you’re going to the rugby, to the Aussie rules you say Aussie Rules.

Victor Ian

International Coach
In Melbourne if you say your going to the footy you are going to see AFL. If your going to the rugby you say you're going the rugby. If you are going to the NRL you don't tell anyone and cover your face until you are inside the stadium.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
So England have indicated Mason Crane plays. Going to be interesting to see how he goes. Heart says it could be a fairy tale head a disaster. At least it provides an incentive to watch a dead rubber.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Do they have club rugby in Melbourne?
I don't know about club rugby - I'd guess they do. We have everything. I've even seen Gridiron being played in some parks. But we have Melbourne Rebels. Funny how I never hear anything about them, but hear lots about the Melbourne Storm. I guess the Rebels must be ****.

Top_Cat

As much as I hate it when selectors throw some poor prick to the wolves, one thing in Crane's favour seems to be that when he's taking wickets, he tightens up too i.e. doesn't try to buy wickets so much, gets in the contest. I mean, leggies not named Warne get pumped so I'm not too concerned about econ rate but from the English posters here, is that accurate?

the big bambino

International Captain
I kind of sympathise with where Atherton is coming from but it's completely impossible to implement in the way he likes whilst keeping cricket an actual competitive sport.

Imagine the high farce that would erupt if we get another Anderson/Panesar situation with two tailenders hanging on for grim life in a critical Test, and the umpire goes up to Pat Cummins and says "sorry, but you aren't allowed to bowl bouncers, these guys aren't really good enough to play them". Or indeed if the #10 and #11 scrapes together a 30-40 odd partnership, looking comfortable against deliveries that are pitched up. The situation where we ask, as Howe routinely notes, sportsmen who are genuinely terrible at a discipline to go out and display that discipline in vital moments is a severe oddity and worth talking about, but so long as tailenders consistently provide match-turning contributions with the bat then they're as fair game as the top six IMO.
You're supposed to take your wickets in accordance with the game's laws. It doesn't matter the state of the game, and the rules apply for everyone whether they are in the top six or not.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Whether you agree or not majority of condemnation has always come from the English during losing causes...and I see you bring up the late Phil (who enjoyed gritting it out if need be with never a complaint) Nobody likes to see a death on the field but most cricketers and spectators in the modern era who are not English seem accept the short ball and deal with it whether they kop it or not. Why is it always a issue when England are targeted ask yourself that question.
Er, is it? One article hardly makes it an issue.

And it's not as if Aus haven't chosen other things to complain about over the years. Because apparently Broad was the first person ever not to walk after edging it to the keeper at Trent Bridge in 2013, and Anderson was the first person ever to have too much to say for himself. Of course no Australian cricketer would ever stoop so low as those guys. And then there were the pieces in the Aus press about the 'minefields' that England prepare during the 2015 series. As you suggested, whining in a losing cause never sounds good.

flibbertyjibber

So England have indicated Mason Crane plays. Going to be interesting to see how he goes. Heart says it could be a fairy tale head a disaster. At least it provides an incentive to watch a dead rubber.
Er no it isn't. Not at the time it is anyway.

TheJediBrah

Do they have club rugby in Melbourne?
There's probably a few sad blokes that set up a league of 3 teams and play on some ****** back oval somewhere

Otherwise we have the Melbourne Storm but they just get all their players from Queensland

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have been watching some youtube on guys in suits of armour and how well they could move. In this modern age, I can't see why they just don't do a proper overhaul of the helmet, so that it covers the whole head properly, is made of a thin flexible perspex to not break and has little fans inside to keep the head from overheating or fogging up. It would also sort out the flies issue and do away with sledging as the batsman could bat in the serenity of Celine Dion playing through headphones.
Not sure the helmet would do its intended job in that case. Care to give more details?

Woodster

International Captain
If I'm a tailender and I'm getting bounced the **** out of, I would work tirelessly in the nets (same if I had a problem as a top order bat) to try and eradicate it or at least find a way to cope and get through it.

flibbertyjibber

Mr McGrath with an interesting piece in the Daily Mail today about Broad saying he should be dropped as he doesn't bowl more than 4 overs in a spell and doesn't look like taking a wicket. Not saying it is the end of his career but whatever is up needs sorting. He loves to troll but when he gets his serious head on he is one of the best to read/listen to as he talks so much sense.

Burgey

There's probably a few sad blokes that set up a league of 3 teams and play on some ****** back oval somewhere

Otherwise we have the Melbourne Storm but they just get all their players from Queensland
Yeah but the Storm is rugby league, not rugby.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Big, if the slander is true.