• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian selectors how good are they

TNT

Banned
Not many went along with their selections so I guess now is the time to accept their brilliance.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

These are their controversial picks:

Bancroft (not that controversial, he had two very good shield games and was picked over Renshaw who was struggling for runs) - has made one half century and nicked off every other innings.
S Marsh - had a good 50, a match winning 100 and nothing much else. Which is about what people expected from him. Don't expect many more runs from here on out.
M Marsh - the selectors publicly said he was being picked entirely for his bowling. Nobody, not even his biggest fans expected him to hit 181. I really would like to see him back it up with a couple of half centuries but I doubt he'll do that well in this series. Could have another good innings in South Africa though.
Paine - done as well as could be hoped. Dropped a clanger but has looked good behind the stumps since then. He's always had the potential but it's really good to see him finally live up to it. He's done better with the bat than Wade, Carey or Nevill likely would have done either.

I'm really hoping that M Marsh has actually turned a corner and this innings wasn't a once off. I think he'll still be really inconsistent. His defence did look better in this test but it didn't look great.

I don't expect Shaun Marsh will last too long in the side. He'll probably make some runs in a test in South Africa though.

Paine can keep until his fingers break or one of Peirson, Inglis or Carey is ready.

Bancroft will likely lose his place at the end of the summer unless he actually starts scoring. But then again, we've been winning so he's less likely to get dropped. Be interesting to see if Renshaw can pressure his place again. Sadly, even if Renshaw has a 500+ run tail end of the season I can't see him forcing his way into the side again. I really think that Boof doesn't like him much. He was almost dropped for India after hitting 180 in his previous test. Burns is a smokey to replace Bancroft if he remains runless. Alternatively, Khawaja and Smith can move up a spot and Maxwell can come in in the middle order.

Other than Mitch Marsh, all of the other picks have done about as well as was expected really, with Bancroft the only one disappointing so far. I think people were disliking the Marsh picks so much because Maxwell should be slotted in and Shaun Marsh has had so many chances and tends to get long runs in the team even if he's not getting any runs. Going to Shaun Marsh felt like a step back, not forward. Mitch Marsh felt even worse because he had a test match average in the very low 20s and despite his "form" so far this summer was only averaging low 40s in the shield and had made all of his runs on roads.

I'll give the selectors credit for their picks if Bancroft and Shaun Marsh are playing against India in 12 months and Mitchell Marsh brings his batting average up to 35 long term.

TNT

Banned
S Marsh - had a good 50, a match winning 100 and nothing much else. Which is about what people expected from him. Don't expect many more runs from here on out..
What, run that by me again, people expected SMarsh to hit a match winning hundred and a 50 and didnt want him selected. Dam thats a hard crowd to please.

Gob

International Coach
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

These are their controversial picks:

Bancroft (not that controversial, he had two very good shield games and was picked over Renshaw who was struggling for runs) - has made one half century and nicked off every other innings.
S Marsh - had a good 50, a match winning 100 and nothing much else. Which is about what people expected from him. Don't expect many more runs from here on out.
M Marsh - the selectors publicly said he was being picked entirely for his bowling. Nobody, not even his biggest fans expected him to hit 181. I really would like to see him back it up with a couple of half centuries but I doubt he'll do that well in this series. Could have another good innings in South Africa though.
Paine - done as well as could be hoped. Dropped a clanger but has looked good behind the stumps since then. He's always had the potential but it's really good to see him finally live up to it. He's done better with the bat than Wade, Carey or Nevill likely would have done either.

I'm really hoping that M Marsh has actually turned a corner and this innings wasn't a once off. I think he'll still be really inconsistent. His defence did look better in this test but it didn't look great.

I don't expect Shaun Marsh will last too long in the side. He'll probably make some runs in a test in South Africa though.

Paine can keep until his fingers break or one of Peirson, Inglis or Carey is ready.

Bancroft will likely lose his place at the end of the summer unless he actually starts scoring. But then again, we've been winning so he's less likely to get dropped. Be interesting to see if Renshaw can pressure his place again. Sadly, even if Renshaw has a 500+ run tail end of the season I can't see him forcing his way into the side again. I really think that Boof doesn't like him much. He was almost dropped for India after hitting 180 in his previous test. Burns is a smokey to replace Bancroft if he remains runless. Alternatively, Khawaja and Smith can move up a spot and Maxwell can come in in the middle order.

Other than Mitch Marsh, all of the other picks have done about as well as was expected really, with Bancroft the only one disappointing so far. I think people were disliking the Marsh picks so much because Maxwell should be slotted in and Shaun Marsh has had so many chances and tends to get long runs in the team even if he's not getting any runs. Going to Shaun Marsh felt like a step back, not forward. Mitch Marsh felt even worse because he had a test match average in the very low 20s and despite his "form" so far this summer was only averaging low 40s in the shield and had made all of his runs on roads.

I'll give the selectors credit for their picks if Bancroft and Shaun Marsh are playing against India in 12 months and Mitchell Marsh brings his batting average up to 35 long term.
lol. He has had four innings.

Gob

International Coach
The Paine selection has been inspired. Kept and batted really well.
He always looks so good with the bat doesn't he? I mean its bewildering to think that he has only one ton. Looks like a proper batsman who should be averaging in the mid 40's at least.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
S Marsh - had a good 50, a match winning 100 and nothing much else. Which is about what people expected from him. .
smh. He's been really good.

4 innings, 224 runs, average of almost 80.

In Adelaide played the knock (126*) that probably swayed the series our way completely.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He always looks so good with the bat doesn't he? I mean its bewildering to think that he has only one ton. Looks like a proper batsman who should be averaging in the mid 40's at least.
So true. Such a sound batsman. Seems absurd that he only has one ton from almost 100 FC games.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They got lucky more than anything. They're the same guys who made some terrible selections last season, just so happened that their selections paid off.

The one that I was most impressed with though, both at the time and now in hindsight, was Tim Paine. As soon as I heard about that I was like "damn that's bold, and I like it".

Better than Australian posters on CW.

Sorry!
Find a new hobby or somewhere else to be depressing. Personally I'm getting really sick of your constant aggressively negative comments.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It'll be interesting to see how MMarsh continues from here. TPaine looked really good so there's the potential of a good lower order for the first time in years. Without one, we'll continue to struggle overseas.

There hasn't been much talk of it but I reckon Khawja needs some runs soon. We can't keep a player who can only play on home decks at the expense of others who can

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
It'll be interesting to see how MMarsh continues from here. TPaine looked really good so there's the potential of a good lower order for the first time in years. Without one, we'll continue to struggle overseas.

There hasn't been much talk of it but I reckon Khawja needs some runs soon. We can't keep a player who can only play on home decks at the expense of others who can
Coupe of fifties in four innings alright no?

Don't think Bankers is going to last though. Renshaw is the long term opener

Gob

International Coach
Khawaja needs to make up for the fact that he's rubbish everywhere else
Nah just in Asia

And that doesn't make sense. If he can average 50 in Aust he should be perfectly fine to play in Australia.It would be absurd to drop him for Perth because he averages ten in Galle

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They got lucky more than anything. They're the same guys who made some terrible selections last season, just so happened that their selections paid off.

The one that I was most impressed with though, both at the time and now in hindsight, was Tim Paine. As soon as I heard about that I was like "damn that's bold, and I like it".

Find a new hobby or somewhere else to be depressing. Personally I'm getting really sick of your constant aggressively negative comments.
I did notice you'd joined my fanclub.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nah just in Asia

And that doesn't make sense. If he can average 50 in Aust he should be perfectly fine to play in Australia.It would be absurd to drop him for Perth because he averages ten in Galle
He's a walking wicket against all spin though

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah especially when he's only making 50s here and there. When he was tonning up every few games and averaging 60 at home it was a bit more forgivable.

I did notice you'd joined my fanclub.
I don't what's happened to you during this series but you've fallen off the deep end and I don't understand what you get out of this constant offensive whining. Never had a problem with you before.

Last edited: