cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: England complain

TNT

England complain

I cant make out what the actual complaint is, see if you can.

England complain after DRS controversy
    England have made an official complaint after the controversial dismissal of opener Mark Stoneman in this third Magellan Ashes Test.
    UK newspaper The Mirror is reporting skipper Joe Root has spoken to the match referee Sir Richie Richardson not so much about the fact that Stoneman was dismissed, but rather the method by which the decision was made by third umpire Aleem Dar.
    England complain after DRS controversy | cricket.com.au
    If you nick it walk

He's right about the decision making process I guess, but this is like claiming a Hollywood exec made sexual advances on you then complaining about it decades later.

Why even bother?

TNT
    So basically the umpires could have taken more time to arrive at the same decision.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I think it’s pretty obvious and if you’ve seen it.....they’re absolutely right.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    To me, umpiring is all about process. I'd rather see an umpire follow a proper decision-making process every time, and end up with a wrong decision on a marginal call, than mix process with guess-work and get that one marginal call right through sheer luck.
    Bijed, Spark and zorax like this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    It's right that something should have been done to improve the process because Aleem Dar really did **** it up. Sure the right decision was made but what if it happens again and Aleem Dar does the same thing and ends up making the wrong decision because of his incompetence? So they need to make sure he learns how to umpire correctly.

It would have been nice if the match panel just looked after it themselves because inevitably it's going to look bad when England are the ones who "complain" about it, even though it was the correct decision, and when they are struggling massively as a cricket team. Of course it's going to come across as sour grapes.

Cricket Web Staff Member quincywagstaff's Avatar
    Has Aleem Dar been the 3rd ump that often? Got the sense in his processes (which have changed over the course of the match) that he isnt used to it.

First Class Debutant Second Spitter's Avatar
    Dar is definitely inexperienced in this role. During the review of Khawaja's dismissal he incorrectly identified a hot spot but was quickly corrected by the technician that sits alongside the 3rd umps. It all happened very quickly and not many people noticed.

Can you imagine the outcry if there wasn't a person sitting next to him to guide him??

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I think we need a proper technical guy trained as an umpire to do the the 3rd umpire job. It is clear at times that the 3rd umpires aren't totally sure what they are doing and the Stoneman dismissal was one of them. England right to complain as getting it wrong but ending with the right outcome still isn't satisfactory. If the technology is there to get it right then get trained people in to work the system properly.
    Bijed, zorax and quincywagstaff like this.

First Class Debutant Second Spitter's Avatar
    I'm with you. I'm convinced a cricket IT nerd would do a better job than on-field umps. Somebody like Gnske.
    zorax likes this.

International Regular S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Why bother? Stoneman would have probably just converted his 50 into a 60. Who cares?
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

U19 Debutant
    I think the complaint is absolute rubbish and feeds into the world famous "whinging poms" narrative.

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Why bother? Stoneman would have probably just converted his 50 into a 60. Who cares?
    I don't think you understand what happened. He wouldn't have "probably just converted his 50 into a 60", he would have been out on 50 because the correct decision was made

International Regular S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I don't think you understand what happened. He wouldn't have "probably just converted his 50 into a 60", he would have been out on 50 because the correct decision was made
    Well if it was the correct decision that was made then it was made. It is academic either way and does not invalidate my point that complaining about it is a complete waste of time and energy.

Cricket Web Staff Member quincywagstaff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I think we need a proper technical guy trained as an umpire to do the the 3rd umpire job. It is clear at times that the 3rd umpires aren't totally sure what they are doing and the Stoneman dismissal was one of them. England right to complain as getting it wrong but ending with the right outcome still isn't satisfactory. If the technology is there to get it right then get trained people in to work the system properly.
    You make a good point. The convention of cricket umpires handling these largely technical tasks seemed to be just an assumed continuation of them doing the Run-Out/Stumping role in the 1990s/2000s. But I don't see any valid reason why DRS should be handled by an umpire.

As an aside, iirc wasn't Daryl Harper notoriously bad at doing the DRS role in its early days? I seem to recall him making a lot of baffling errors during the 2009 Windies/England series.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information