• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Authorities uncover plan to match-fix Third Ashes Test

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently an Indian bookie has been caught after a plan to offer $200K to match fix the test in Perth.

Burgey

Update: Ok, it's the Sun reporting it so make of that what you will.

The offer was apparently up to $200K per incident of fixing, working with an Australian conduit (not said to be a player or official). The network is said to have recruited at least one former Australian "star", as yet unnamed.

Apparently part of a broader plan to widely fix the BBL.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
My first reaction is it seems a lot of hot air driven by people who want to pretend their big powerbrokers and get their names in the media, but who knows?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
My first reaction is it seems a lot of hot air driven by people who want to pretend their big powerbrokers and get their names in the media, but who knows?
My thoughts too.

Australian players are well paid..They aren't going to throw away their entire futures for 50k

Burgey

Good to see this sub forum isn’t the only Ashes related thing Indians are trying to stink up.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
You would think Oz players are too well-paid to be vulnerable to something as risky as this.

The only caveat I would put on that is that when contract talks with CA broke down mid-year and they were technically unemployed for a few weeks, perhaps some players with money troubles became vulnerable to quick money from betting sources.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never underestimate the ability of highly paid people to mismanage their finances and choose a quick/easy fix.

If their lifestyle costs them more than they earn then they're vulnerable.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must have cost him a few bob but I expect that bookie made a fortune out of paying those five Aussies to get out to that Clouderson bloke at Adelaide

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
According to the transcript a former Oz player and administrator is mentioned but hasn't been released for legal reasons. I guess once the authorities contact that person we'll know how valid this all is.

Burgey

Shane Warne a noticeable absentee from that discussion on Channel Nine surrounding the influence of bookmakersz

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well the sensible thing would be to have kept this secret, sat back and watched the no balls. You then know your culprit.

Burgey

No smart bookie would conceivably part with dough to make England actually play worse than they have already.