• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England disintegrating like in 2013-14 Ashes - Johnson

adub

International Captain
Not for the Kiwis he wouldn't. He's surely not better than Bond or Cowie.
Ha, I just knew someone would throw up Bond's name.

Look, I love me some Bond, but come on, the **** played a lot less tests than Bruce Reid FFS (67%). **** even Voges played more tests. Maybe coulda been an ATG had his body held together. It didn't - he isn't.

Cowie obviously desperately unlucky to have the war take out his prime, but again 9 tests isn't really indicative of ****.

Starc's record would place him with the 6th all time best NZ bowling average (20 wickets min), 4th all time SR, and 6th all time for wickets taken. So maybe not a clear cut 2nd to the Great Man, but well and truly in the argument.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Steyn/Rabada/Morkel/Philander are all fit I don't think Starc gets a game, and he might struggle to break through Southee/Boult/Wagner simply because of the loyalty the selectors have shown those 3 and how they've formed into a decent unit together, but he gets into every other side in the world pretty comfortably.
The only reason Starc doesn't get a game for South Africa is because he's white. He plays ahead of Philander and Morkel otherwise.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only reason Starc doesn't get a game for South Africa is because he's white. He plays ahead of Philander and Morkel otherwise.
Morkel maybe. No way he's better than Philander as of now. I still don't think people appreciate how consistently great Philander has been for the best part of 6 years now.

TheJediBrah

If Steyn/Rabada/Morkel/Philander are all fit I don't think Starc gets a game, and he might struggle to break through Southee/Boult/Wagner simply because of the loyalty the selectors have shown those 3 and how they've formed into a decent unit together, but he gets into every other side in the world pretty comfortably.
Funny because I can't imagine any of those guys getting close to a full strength Australian side

adub

International Captain
Morkel maybe. No way he's better than Philander as of now. I still don't think people appreciate how consistently great Philander has been for the best part of 6 years now.
Don't disagree with that (except maybe the Morkel maybe - he offers way more than Morne), but will Steyn ever play Tests again? And if he does for how long? Apart from Rabada all the good SA quicks are on the wrong side of 32. When was the last time all four were actually available for a Test? Starc would play a lot lot more tests for SA right now than he would miss through selection.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't disagree with that (except maybe the Morkel maybe - he offers way more than Morne), but will Steyn ever play Tests again? And if he does for how long? Apart from Rabada all the good SA quicks are on the wrong side of 32. When was the last time all four were actually available for a Test? Starc would play a lot lot more tests for SA right now than he would miss through selection.
Isn't Steyn slated to play against India?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yep. Philander has a 5 runs lower bowling average, has a clearly superior economy rate and only a slightly worse strike rate.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not a chance in hell I would pick Starc over Philander. Even Morkel is questionable.

adub

International Captain
Wags is good, but he'd play about as many Tests as the Chadd if he was over here in the Shield.

adub

International Captain
Isn't Steyn slated to play against India?
He was slated to play against Australia at the WACA a year ago. Even made it to stumps on day 1.

Not knocking a great, but none of us are getting any younger and he's only survived past the 1st test of a series once in the last 25 months and that was a 2-test series against NZ.

vcs

He would obviously get picked for India, that's a no-brainer. He's excellent in Asian conditions as well. If I had to choose between him and Hazlewood, considering where India play the majority of our games, I'd take Starc, though Hazlewood is probably the superior bowler overall.

stephen

No I think selectors would pick Starc over Philander regardless of statistics. Starc is one of those guys that selectors absolutely love to pick because they are so exciting to watch. Rabada and Steyn would take the new ball and Starc would bowl first change.

Flem274*

123/5
fmd australia need an away tour. hurrrrr starc would make the 80s west indies hurrrrrrrr

but then what can one expect from benchmarks leftovers

OverratedSanity

He is though. He's big, he's angry he's aggressive[SUP]tm[/SUP] and has Amazonian chest hair. Wouldn't be surprised if Australia dropped boring line and length Haze for demon Wags.

stephen

fmd australia need an away tour. hurrrrr starc would make the 80s west indies hurrrrrrrr

but then what can one expect from benchmarks leftovers
Yeah I'm not exactly calling Starc Wasim Akram here. Just saying that selectors would pick him because he's a 150 kph left arm quick who takes a lot of wickets. I don't think a country in the world wouldn't pick him, even South Africa who have slightly better bowlers.

stephen

And honestly it's not like I haven't said on countless occasions that I rate Hazlewood, Cummins and Pattinson as all being better bowlers than Starc.

But Starc has attributes which get him picked even if he didn't deserve it (he does deserve it btw).

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I'm not exactly calling Starc Wasim Akram here. Just saying that selectors would pick him because he's a 150 kph left arm quick who takes a lot of wickets. I don't think a country in the world wouldn't pick him, even South Africa who have slightly better bowlers.
Philander is not just a slightly better bowler though (I think Morkel would be a slightly better bowler ATS), he's quite a bit better.