• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England disintegrating like in 2013-14 Ashes - Johnson

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn’t be thinking Australians are too happy with how their side has performed in England since 2001, either. Losing in 05 was a disgrace, likewise 09. By 2013 the team was pretty ordinary though.

Spark

Global Moderator
2015 was pretty bad too, mostly because of Cardiff. Really, really poor to lose that Test in the way we did. Trent Bridge and Edgbaston, okay, I can accept that even if we play better we probably still lose those games simply because England are so much more suited to those conditions, but Cardiff just smacked of a team that rocked up and expected England to just roll over again.

Last edited:

morgieb

I wouldn’t be thinking Australians are too happy with how their side has performed in England since 2001, either. Losing in 05 was a disgrace, likewise 09. By 2013 the team was pretty ordinary though.
Yeah I think in 2013 we were like "OK our side is kinda mismatched here so lets try and not make the series too lopsided and win the series immediately after in Australia", which is pretty much what happened. Having back-to-back Ashes influenced that.

2009 especially annoying given with an extra half an hour we very likely retain the Ashes. Plus collapsing to a green Stuart Broad in the decider.

morgieb

Rhino retiring killed 2015 for us
I mean it was our batsman that lost us Edgbaston and TB for us, but it would've been interesting to see how we defend the totals with him there. I'm reasonably convinced it would've looked a lot better.

vcs

Didn't they pick Siddle who did really well in the dead rubber?

They really shouldn't have folded for 130 something and 62 or whatever at Edgbaston and Nottingham, that's the bottom line, no matter how much it is swinging or if the bowler is having the day of his life. You've simply got to find a way to get to 200. Then it becomes a different game. I remember some atrocious shots being played as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I think in 2013 we were like "OK our side is kinda mismatched here so lets try and not make the series too lopsided and win the series immediately after in Australia", which is pretty much what happened. Having back-to-back Ashes influenced that.

2009 especially annoying given with an extra half an hour we very likely retain the Ashes . Plus collapsing to a green Stuart Broad in the decider.
How long do you think you'd need at Anderson and Panesar ffs?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
2015 was pretty bad too, mostly because of Cardiff. Really, really poor to lose that Test in the way we did. Trent Bridge and Edgbaston, okay, I can accept that even if we play better we probably still lose those games simply because England are so much more suited to those conditions, but Cardiff just smacked of a team that rocked up and expected England to just roll over again.
My memory of 2015 in Cardiff was that it was probably the most lethargic Australia had ever looked in the field; they just looked old and slow in all aspects. The real seed of was sticking with largely the same side as 13/14 thinking it would happen all over again where there were signs even on the soft Windies tour that Watson & Haddin had done their dash.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't believe how genuinely badly we played in 2015. Sure Broad was peaking but no team should collapse as hard as we did. Truly atrocious batting.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyon's actually been Australia's best bowler by a distance imo. Funny how all the talk before the series was about how the big demon fast bowlers Australia had would blow England away but really its been Lyon who's caused more problems than all of them.
It's always that narrative no matter what because that's the narrative Australian cricket is based on. Chappell wants Malan who has played 3 test matches to be Root's adviser on this series becaues he is 'aggressive'.

In 2013, Ryan Harris and Siddle bowled just as well and sustained pressure for long periods of time in order to break England. But it's all about how Johnson's bouncers gave them mental scars.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Morkel maybe. No way he's better than Philander as of now. I still don't think people appreciate how consistently great Philander has been for the best part of 6 years now.
Philander is never going to be valued on CW. It's just one of those biases that enough people on CW have to make it a thing.