• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Lions & England Tour Game in Perth

Spark

Global Moderator
Tom Curran's action looks awkward as hell. All gangly, only vaguely-coordinated swinging limbs everywhere.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it seems the current England team has taken Bart's words from that episode to heart: Can't win don't try

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Having read a couple of the reports this match really highlights England's problems currently with players just below the test side. Against a weak side batsmen struggled to score runs. Pretty unanimous view was that Ball, Leach and Crane all looked particularly poor.

During my 5 weeks in the UK in the summer I get in 7 or 8 days of County Cricket. The bowling in Division one is well below what you see elsewhere in the world and in Division two it's truly atrocious. It's allowing some deeply flawed batsmen to get figures which makes them look world beaters. Not really sure what the answer is. Its a real concern where England go when Cook, Anderson and Broad call it a day. It's easy to imagine England tumbling in the rankings over the next couple of years.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Having read a couple of the reports this match really highlights England's problems currently with players just below the test side. Against a weak side batsmen struggled to score runs. Pretty unanimous view was that Ball, Leach and Crane all looked particularly poor.

During my 5 weeks in the UK in the summer I get in 7 or 8 days of County Cricket. The bowling in Division one is well below what you see elsewhere in the world and in Division two it's truly atrocious. It's allowing some deeply flawed batsmen to get figures which makes them look world beaters. Not really sure what the answer is. Its a real concern where England go when Cook, Anderson and Broad call it a day. It's easy to imagine England tumbling in the rankings over the next couple of years.
Notts', at least on paper, was almost test-standard (Broad, Pattinson, Ball, Gurney)! One of the better seasons for emerging bowlers also (Porter, Coad, Archer and Garton) - better than last year.

You have to remember, the ECB are buggering the championship up the arse and have been doing so on a frequent basis. They'll continue to destroy it to make room for a bish bosh bash Australian style twenty20 competition.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Notts', at least on paper, was almost test-standard (Broad, Pattinson, Ball, Gurney)! One of the better seasons for emerging bowlers also (Porter, Coad, Archer and Garton) - better than last year.

You have to remember, the ECB are buggering the championship up the arse and have been doing so on a frequent basis. They'll continue to destroy it to make room for a bish bosh bash Australian style twenty20 competition.
Broad was the last English bowler to really establish himself as an international 10 years ago. While I agree the format of domestic cricket last year was a disaster England have been failing to develop real test quality bowlers for some time.

the big bambino

International Captain
With the first 3 having more experience and better records why was Garton selected to tour with the Lions?

morgieb

With the first 3 having more experience and better records why was Garton selected to tour with the Lions?
Archer isn't eligible yet I don't think. As for the other two, I presume the selectors feel that Garton has better tools to be sucessful than Coad and Porter.

S.Kennedy

I think Porter is buggered. Archer is not eligible and then needs to decide whether he plays for England and the West Indies. Coad is a very exciting prospect.

S.Kennedy

Broad was the last English bowler to really establish himself as an international 10 years ago. While I agree the format of domestic cricket last year was a disaster England have been failing to develop real test quality bowlers for some time.
I think part of the reason is the success of Broad and Anderson. They have been so dominant that it is always a case of the rest of the bowlers competing and being rotated in the other two slots. Even during the Flower era we were seeing your Bresnans, Onions', Finns and Tremletts being rotated.

Daemon

More due to injury than rotations no?

Tremlett Bresnan Onions Finn felt like a very solid backup to Broad and Anderson at the time, but they all fell away so quickly.

S.Kennedy

More due to injury than rotations no?

Tremlett Bresnan Onions Finn felt like a very solid backup to Broad and Anderson at the time, but they all fell away so quickly.
In the case of Onions, he was barely given a chance (nine test matches). He wasn't favoured by Andy Flower. 70 wickets at 18.45 (2013) one would assume would've got Onions on the '13-14 Ashes flight but nope.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Onions was tall enough for David Saker. I just read a Wisden article where he talks about how he loves tall bowlers because they can get more out of the pitch blahdy blah. Went well in 13/14 didn't it?

Also said he got Anderson and Broad to shorten their length to fit with his bowling dry strategy. Also works well in Australia, not.

the big bambino

International Captain
I don't think Onions was tall enough for David Saker. I just read a Wisden article where he talks about how he loves tall bowlers because they can get more out of the pitch blahdy blah. Went well in 13/14 didn't it?

Also said he got Anderson and Broad to shorten their length to fit with his bowling dry strategy. Also works well in Australia, not.
I just love it when fixated coaches cop it. Harris is 5'10" and Johnson just over 6' which is tall but not the tall that Saker likes. same with Lehmann and pace. I kind of enjoyed it when Anderson swung hoops around our guys in Adelaide just to remind Lehmann his preference for speed is an unhealthy fetish. You could point at the scoreboard but Philander and Abbott dominated us while rarely exceeding 135ks.

Makes you wonder if Lee Johnson Tait S Clarke D Flemming and McGrath all started out at the same time and Lehmann was the coach there'd be a good chance we'd have never seen the last three.