cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: England Lions & England Tour Game in Perth

Lions beat WA XI by 9 wickets today. They now play a series of games against the scorchers.

Joe Clarke fired England Lions to a convincing nine-wicket win against a Western Australia XI in the first of four T20 fixtures that will complete their four-week training camp.

The Worcestershire batsman relished the chance to open with Ben Duckett, smashing an unbeaten 92 from 51 balls as the Lions cruised past a WA total of 156 for five with nine wickets and seven balls to spare at the Murdoch University ground.

Clarke hit 13 fours and three sixes, and received good support from Duckett’s 38 off 39 balls, and then from Essex’s Dan Lawrence, who ended with 28 not out from 23 in his first captain’s innings for the Lions – having been appointed to lead the team for the first time.

The foundations of the win were laid by an excellent bowling and fielding performance.

Jack Leach, one of six Lions players who will play for an England XI in their two-day match against a Cricket Australia XI this weekend, bowled the first over – and both he and his fellow Somerset spinner Dom Bess impressed, with Bess conceding only 15 from three overs.

There were three wickets for new Nottinghamshire signing Paul Coughlin, continuing his good form in Perth, and Lancashire’s Saqib Mahmood claimed the important wicket of WA wicketkeeper Calum How.

“We were a bit rusty in the 50-over game we played against WA the other day, but today was a much better performance,” said Lions and England batting coach Graham Thorpe.

“I thought we bowled very well, recognising the need to take pace off the ball, and delivering to the right place.

“Then Clarkey came out and timed the ball really well. He’s opened for Worcestershire in T20 cricket and it’s good to be able to give the guys the chance to play where they do for their counties. And it was good to see him there at the end – that’s something we try to drill into the lads.

“Dan Lawrence was probably a bit surprised to be asked to captain, but Andy Flower likes to share it around – and I thought he did really well. As with Liam Livingstone the other day, it’s good that the guys want to do it when they’re given the chance, and Dan showed good decisiveness out in the field.

“Then he came in and took us home with Clarkey – he’s played well out here, and I think he’ll have got a lot out of the trip.”

The Lions’ remaining T20 matches will all be against the Perth Scorchers, as Justin Langer’s squad prepare for the Big Bash – the first two at the new 55,000-capacity Perth Stadium.

“It’s going to be interesting having a look at the new stadium, because I’m back out here with England for the one-day series after Christmas and we play Australia there,” added Thorpe.

“The Scorchers will be good opposition, as the Western Australia lads have been for the last two days to be fair. All the boys are looking forward to it.”
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Pleased for Joe Clarke, seems he scores runs whenever he steps up, glad heís going to play in Division One next season, another test for him as he continues his impressive development.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Pleased for Joe Clarke, seems he scores runs whenever he steps up, glad he’s going to play in Division One next season, another test for him as he continues his impressive development.
    Might not play much in Division One as may well find himself in the test side next summer.

Once we have lost this series I can see a couple of slots in the batting becoming available again possibly for New Zealand and then certainly by the summer.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Might not play much in Division One as may well find himself in the test side next summer.

Once we have lost this series I can see a couple of slots in the batting becoming available again possibly for New Zealand and then certainly by the summer.
    Quite possibly but I do hope we donít rush youngsters that arenít ready into the side just because of the shortfalls in the team at the moment. I mean Iím sure thereís a few different schools of thought on this, one could be why not throw them in and persevere with them or wait and let them prove themselves in the CC, this is where talent spotting is crucial, choose the right players with the right attributes and attitude and stick with them but they have to be ready for international cricket.

Daniel Lawrence at Essex has shown some fantastic qualities for one so young, he batted all day to save a game for Essex early in in the CC last season against Lancashire with Jimmy Anderson, but I certainly hope he doesnít get thrown in just yet.

Cricketer Of The Year Starfighter's Avatar
    England won't be getting much decent practice here. Buchanan is bowling utter, utter rubbish.

Look forward to seeing Curran and Leach have a go tomorrow.

Looks like a pretty hefty chunk of play could go to rain here.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Pleased for Joe Clarke, seems he scores runs whenever he steps up, glad heís going to play in Division One next season, another test for him as he continues his impressive development.
    Just wish he'd do it more consistently, same with Lawrence.

Looks like Joe Clarke in for Ben Duckett which means Lawrence opened but its all about the experience I guess. Got 20

Jennings scoring runs again & Ballance failed.

First Class Debutant Second Spitter's Avatar
    I've never seen a bigger bunch of jobbers on a cricket field than in the CA XI side.

All four CA XI pace bowlers have the same nondescript bowling action and bowl the same nondescript... stuff. Coaching as taken all the grace, beauty and variety out of the game. It's like watching a bunch of robots out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    For obvious reasons they went Jennings but the easy pick could have been Gubbins to open with him but glad they went for the positive Duckett. Think he has a good technique and can play all round and scores quickly naturally. Of course he has to get things right between the ears and what goes into his belly.
    This f**k can say goodbye to any sort of England career he could have had in the foreseeable future probably.

England's troubled tour takes another turn.

Ben Duckett, who was due to play in the tour match today, has been suspended after an incident in a Perth bar.

Senior players were at the venue as well.

It was the first night after England's curfew was lifted.
    Simon Wilde‏
    @swildecricket
    Duckett was dropped from a Northants pre-season tour of Barbados in 2015 over a failure to meet "fairly basic standards”
    Last edited by SeamUp; 09-12-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    zorax likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    this series just keeps on giving

Amazing discipline.

I just hope he poured his beer over the head of that cheating blonde rube.
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    When I was 14 a friend mentioned to me that using lube was a great way to enhance masturbation. Later that night I snuck into the bathroom, and grabbed a container of what I thought was moisturiser. It turned out to be tanning lotion, rendering both my hands and my gargantuan penis orange for the next week or so.

This video reminds me of that experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    i like many come to cw to briefly escape the pain of mediocre and obscure existence by being mediocre and obscure on the internet.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    my favourite part is that they lifted the curfew and straight away

England’s players – across both the Lions and senior Ashes squad – have been subject to a midnight curfew ever since it emerged Jonny Bairstow headbutted Australia’s Cameron Bancroft in a Perth bar on the very first night of the tour in late October.

That was lifted on Thursday and it is understood Duckett and the rest of the Lions party were joined in the bar by up to eight senior England players, including Bairstow
    England tour hit by new discipline controversy | cricket.com.au
    zorax likes this.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    A team of travelling alcoholic chavs.
    Son Of Coco and zorax like this.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information