• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Woodster

International Captain
He looked really good against the quicks in the first innings. Prob the best i've seen for a while
I’m still a fan of Cook, yes he has technical weaknesses, always has, but generally finds a way to score runs. Not sure how Perth plays these days but if there’s pace and bounce in it I’m sure he’ll enjoy it. But he needs to get back to batting long lengths of time, always been his strength.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah. For me he's pretty clearly coming right to the end of his career now, but in all honesty, as minimal as his output has been this series, I genuinely wouldn't have expected much, if any more, from anyone else who would have hypothetically played in his place.

Tbh, once he is gone, the only way I can see us having a opening pair which isn't a bit of a joke (relatively good as Stoneman has been, and I do like him, he's hardly a world-beater) is if Root moved up to open, which I don't imagine he's inclined to do.
He's 32 coming upto 33, hes a fit lad, there’s no reason that age should be why he’s coming to an end. When you are over a certain age you can’t afford a bad run of form as everyone starts to write you off, how much the captaincy took out of him could be a factor and if his powers of concentration are on the wane that would be a concern.

I see no reason why he can’t get a score at Perth and push on again for a few years if the desire is there.

He does need to get back to that lovely habit he had of scoring centuries though.

Bijed

International Regular
He's 32 coming upto 33, hes a fit lad, there’s no reason that age should be why he’s coming to an end. When you are over a certain age you can’t afford a bad run of form as everyone starts to write you off, how much the captaincy took out of him could be a factor and if his powers of concentration are on the wane that would be a concern.

I see no reason why he can’t get a score at Perth and push on again for a few years if the desire is there.

He does need to get back to that lovely habit he had of scoring centuries though.
Yeah, it's basically that I get the sense that the desire has gone. Hope I'm wrong though - as you say, age/fitness-wise there's the potential for him to go on for a while yet.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah, it's basically that I get the sense that the desire has gone. Hope I'm wrong though - as you say, age/fitness-wise there's the potential for him to go on for a while yet.
Could well be the case, but like you, I hope that isn’t the case.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While I understand the selectors' fascination with MMarsh, the fact is that he has delivered scant dividends from his 21 tests

What's more, if an all-rounder is necessary, there is no guarantee that he'll do any better than someone like Wildermuth who has at least been performing consistently for his state

IMO, MMarsh should've been given the Maxi treatment ++ and told that he needs to perform at state level for an extended period before being considered again

Gnske

Yeah Wildermuth would be worth a shot especially for his bowling since Lehmann loves anything that's quick. Just his defensive game rivals Marsh early in his innings. A few more consistent runs would be nice because like Marsh, he looks like he can have much more flattering batting stats than he has.

social

In the last test, Handscomb tried at least 3 different techniques (his standard, an exaggerated move to the off and no movement whatsoever) and looked progressively worse with each one

That's hardly surprising as it's almost impossible to change mid-innings

Anyway, to my eyes, he has 2 issues

Firstly, his starting position is so far behind the popping crease that it encourage the bowlers to bowl fuller which promotes movement

Secondly, his weight distribution seems to be primarily on the back foot which restricts his ability to get a meaningful stride in when he does come forward.

As a consequence, he is a sitting duck for quality seam bowlers like Broad and Anderson

If he is going to make a change to the technique that got him there, then a really simple one might be to take up his stance in a relatively "normal" position (i.e. back foot round about the popping crease)

In doing so, the bowlers would at least be forced to bring their length back a touch, potentially resulting in less movement and playing to his strengths

Also, when playing off the front foot, he would be further down the pitch which also negates movement and can create doubt in the mind of the umpire

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
England need to bat first considering how flat these tracks are in Australia and they need to score big. On top of that I thnk Cook may have to be dropped. I hate to say this but the idea of him getting another go just because of the history of his career is not enough now.
Cook is like our Prime Minister, Turnbull. Looks like he's made for the job but can't perform. However there's no one who can replace him.

social

Cook rarely looks good IMO

He either scores runs or he doesnt

But he has a fantastic test record, has had a very good 2017 before these 2 tests, deserves more faith and the cupboard is literally bare behind him

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
But he has a fantastic test record, has had a very good 2017 before these 2 tests, deserves more faith and the cupboard is literally bare behind him
A very good 2017? His double hundred bolstered his stats but he only managed to reach 50 three times in 13 innings in the home summer, which means for 2017 it's now three times in 17 innings.

The lack of quality in England's batting means he's still needed but he's done pretty everything in his Test career from a Team and individual level; it wouldn't surprise if he gave it away.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This ****ing aussie selection panel are ****ing cut face trolls. Duck duck duck duck duck. I can't ever barrack for England but I'm hoping this marsh cut breaks his arm. Maybe broad can bowl the ball in his ****ing face and duck him up.

TNT

Banned
This ****ing aussie selection panel are ****ing cut face trolls. Duck duck duck duck duck. I can't ever barrack for England but I'm hoping this marsh cut breaks his arm. Maybe broad can bowl the ball in his ****ing face and duck him up.
You sure you cant barrack for england.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Seriously, this whole boys club that pervades modern sport annoys me. Pick your best players and demand they be man enough to do their jobs. Imagine in times of old if Bradman was not selected because of OReilly or Miller not selected because of Bradman.

Victor Ian

International Coach
How stupid to bring in marsh because of injuries. The guy is a walking injury waiting to happen. He will ruin other promising careers and then break down when the team can't afford it. The team needs either a batsman....pick maxwell or it needs a bowler...pick bird.

Gob

International Coach
How stupid to bring in marsh because of injuries. The guy is a walking injury waiting to happen. He will ruin other promising careers and then break down when the team can't afford it. The team needs either a batsman....pick maxwell or it needs a bowler...pick bird.
Five bowlers?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Five bowlers?
If you are worried about your bowler workload, then you need a bowler, not half a bowler who can't even do his job without being 'managed' to prevent injuries. It is daft.

I personally agree with those who've said we need a batsman. The amount of overs I've seen Marsh put in in other tests does not relieve anyone. Anyone could do that job. Marsh gets his limited wickets because he is the easy option to go after. Smith could do that job. Warner could do that job and Lyon could definitely bowl a bit more to do that job, even at Perth. Maxwell would score more runs than Warner or Smith would leak as the fill in bowler instead of Marsh (all things going as expected)

BigBeefy

Cricket Spectator
Guys has anyone got clarity on the likelihood of the pitch here? Always enjoyed watching quicks bowl at Perth on a bouncy and fast track, however a few of you have made reference to it playing like a paradise for batsmen recently?

Surely if the Aussies have any sense this will play as rapid as it often has been. given the sheer pace of their attack compared to the England seamers?

**On a side note, Englands ODI team looks better than this test side!! Hales, Morgan and Buttler could all add some much needed aggression to what is a very passive batting line up.