• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the Marsh selection seems to be very conditions dependent, given the way the WACA's been playing recently we probably do need 5 bowlers there and it's never been good for spinners so Maxwell is unlikely to be effective there. Trouble is though it's unlikely he'll be dropped for the MCG test if he's picked here, where Maxwell is the much better option.

TBH Maxwell, especially when you take his part-time bowling and his fielding into account on current form may be a better package than Marsh or even Khawaja, but that's harder to prove.

Daemon

England win by taking 20 wickets. Don't give them that chance by weakening the batting imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah the Marsh selection seems to be very conditions dependent, given the way the WACA's been playing recently we probably do need 5 bowlers there and it's never been good for spinners so Maxwell is unlikely to be effective there. Trouble is though it's unlikely he'll be dropped for the MCG test if he's picked here, where Maxwell is the much better option.

TBH Maxwell, especially when you take his part-time bowling and his fielding into account on current form may be a better package than Marsh or even Khawaja, but that's harder to prove.
Yeah that's my thought too. Basically I view MMarsh as a fairly useful addition (if he can get his batting even to a mid-30s average standard), but Maxwell as an absolute necessity. He should be in the side.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
England need to bat first considering how flat these tracks are in Australia and they need to score big. On top of that I thnk Cook may have to be dropped. I hate to say this but the idea of him getting another go just because of the history of his career is not enough now.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If there was any rational sense in the universe, MMarsh shouldn't have been even in the conversation until he made a lot more Shield runs. One century on an absolute highway in Perth isn't enough to prove he has put his past batting deficiencies behind him.

If we're dropping Handscomb we aren't weakening the batting.
Even a badly out of form Handscomb probably would be on par or better with the bat.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we're dropping Handscomb we aren't weakening the batting.
Fair, but Marsh is not strengthening it in any way.

This is guy who could not reach 50 to save his life for nearly his entire test career. One solid knock in his second test. Then **** all except for a 53 against SL.

We were praising his 30s in Asia like they were match winnings innings we were so desperate to find something positive about him. They were more important than a usual test 30 since they were low scoring games but they were not enough to call him a test standard bat or anything close to it

I really am shocked he's been recalled

Spark

Global Moderator
It was actually really weird that he looked so much more confident in spinning conditions than pace-friendly conditions given he plays half his Shield games at the WACA. No idea why that's the case tbh.

morgieb

It was actually really weird that he looked so much more confident in spinning conditions than pace-friendly conditions given he plays half his Shield games at the WACA. No idea why that's the case tbh.
Not having a forward defence probably helps/hurts. Less slips in the subcontinent.

See also: his ODI record.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not having a forward defence probably helps/hurts. Less slips in the subcontinent.

See also: his ODI record.
Why did he get dropped from the ODI team again? We aren't exactly blessed with batting riches in that department. Was he injured?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel part of it is that he can't play an actual slowly constructed test innings. Slogging everything seemed to be working best in Asia for our recent tours(excluding India) because if batsmen tried to dig in sooner rather than later they'd get some unplayable delivery. He wasnt actually more confident he was just smart enough to know he wasnt gonna be able to bat for hours so he decided to just go for it. It half worked

Gob

International Coach
Yeah that's my thought too. Basically I view MMarsh as a fairly useful addition (if he can get his batting even to a mid-30s average standard), but Maxwell as an absolute necessity. He should be in the side.
Can't fit in both MMarsh and Maxi tbh. Unless you get Bancroft to keep or whatever

Woodster

International Captain
England need to bat first considering how flat these tracks are in Australia and they need to score big. On top of that I thnk Cook may have to be dropped. I hate to say this but the idea of him getting another go just because of the history of his career is not enough now.
We can’t possibly drop Cook, as scratchy as he may have looked in his last innings I would still back him over anyone else, other than Root, to get a three figure score, you can’t drop someone with the record he has in our current plight on top of the fact we have nobody at all to replace him worthy of a mention.

Gob

International Coach
We can’t possibly drop Cook, as scratchy as he may have looked in his last innings I would still back him over anyone else, other than Root, to get a three figure score, you can’t drop someone with the record he has in our current plight on top of the fact we have nobody at all to replace him worthy of a mention.
He looked really good against the quicks in the first innings. Prob the best i've seen for a while

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah. For me he's pretty clearly coming right to the end of his career now, but in all honesty, as minimal as his output has been this series, I genuinely wouldn't have expected much, if any more, from anyone else who would have hypothetically played in his place.

Tbh, once he is gone, the only way I can see us having a opening pair which isn't a bit of a joke (relatively good as Stoneman has been, and I do like him, he's hardly a world-beater) is if Root moved up to open, which I don't imagine he's inclined to do.