• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Woodster

International Captain
Reminds me that it was here four years ago that Steve Smith really established him self in the Aust team with a brilliant hundred

Been good since
Maybe this year will be the Test that ignites James Vince's Test career, kickstarted with a brilliant hundred against the odds at the WACA. Wishful thinking ?

Spark

Global Moderator
I remember Smith being under a little pressure before that Test, which was really weird as he'd been excellent in the England and India tours, given the overall standard of Aus batting.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not the worst outcome then.
I mean most of the WACA's appeal these days is down to nostalgia and hope that it might get back to what it once was. The actual strip that's been on show in the last few years has been absolutely dreadful, with the only sideways movement tending to come from the possibility of cracking when it gets really hot (which, to be fair, is a lot of fun, but not exactly ideal).

The pitch for the Test vs NZ was one of the worst Test pitches I've ever seen. Starc was bowling 160kmh thunderbolts, still couldn't get anyone out, and Steve Smith would probably still be late-cutting Southee and Boult to 3rd man for four if that Test were timeless.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
I remember Smith being under a little pressure before that Test, which was really weird as he'd been excellent in the England and India tours, given the overall standard of Aus batting.
Missed out in the first two tests and the Adelaide dismissal in particular against Monty looked pretty bad.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I loved Smith's ton in Sydney that series, that was a green track and he really smashed some huge sixes towards the end of the innings. Class knock.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I mean most of the WACA's appeal these days is down to nostalgia and hope that it might get back to what it once was. The actual strip that's been on show in the last few years has been absolutely dreadful, with the only sideways movement tending to come from the possibility of cracking when it gets really hot (which, to be fair, is a lot of fun, but not exactly ideal).

The pitch for the Test vs NZ was one of the worst Test pitches I've ever seen. Starc was bowling 160kmh thunderbolts, still couldn't get anyone out, and Steve Smith would probably still be late-cutting Southee and Boult to 3rd man for four if that Test were timeless.
Pretty sure that's the Test that retired Johnson as well.

Last edited:

Burgey

Absolutely, they'd be talking about the camaraderie within the camp! But with that in mind, and the bad press we're getting at the moment, it's not too much to ask to keep the nights out kind of low key. Save the laddish antics till they get back to the hotel.
Best way to do these sorts of things is to rent out a venue to yourselves, or a portion of one. NRL teams have taken to doing that for Mad Mondays in an attempt to quarantine the atrocities.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep, was definitely the last straw for him after two summers of dreadful pitches.
I think the death of Phil Hughes and Johnson sconing Kohli at Adelaide wouldn't have helped, I'd imagine scaring the **** out of batsmen became less fun after that then you get that pitch first up the following summer and you must ask yourself what the point is.

eleven

Cricket Spectator
If the pitch is as bland as has been the case recently at the WACA, is England still strong enough to eke out a draw?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely the worst pitch I've seen in my short time watching the game. There couldn't have been less for the bowler if they had used an actual billiard table. Granted I think some of Pakistan's pitches in the early-mid 00's may have been worse.

stephen

Definitely the worst pitch I've seen in my short time watching the game. There couldn't have been less for the bowler if they had used an actual billiard table. Granted I think some of Pakistan's pitches in the early-mid 00's may have been worse.
Nah the ones we've dished up to South Africa in recent years have been worse (last year's excluded). The test where Hodge scored a double ton was atrocious. Just flattened out as the test went on and became easy for South Africa to bat out the draw.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Redevelopment will drag the capacity down to 10-15k. WACA will still exist for Shield matches and lower drawing Tests.
Funnily enough, the last redevelopment ('02) dragged the capacity of the ground down, and I remember low capacity being cited by C.A. as one of the problems of the ground. I don't know whether there was anything wrong with the two easternmost stands, but if not, getting rid of them mightn't have been a great idea,

Starfighter

Nah the ones we've dished up to South Africa in recent years have been worse (last year's excluded). The test where Hodge scored a double ton was atrocious. Just flattened out as the test went on and became easy for South Africa to bat out the draw.
See, I only started watching in 2009/10-ish. And at least that one wasn't completely dead the entire match.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
South Africa’s record in the 2nd innings batting in WACA Tests is pretty amazing:

2005/2006: 5/287 off 126 overs to save game
2008/2009: 4/414 in a record breaking run chase
2012/2013: 569 off only 111.5 Overs
2015/2016: 8/540 declared

Also, New Zealand scored over 600 in an innings there a couple of season ago. I would hazard a guess that the top 5 highest scores Australia have conceded at home in the past decade would be at the WACA.

morgieb

South Africa’s record in the 2nd innings batting in WACA Tests is pretty amazing:

Also, New Zealand scored over 600 in an innings there a couple of season ago. I would hazard a guess that the top 5 highest scores Australia have conceded at home in the past decade would be at the WACA.
2010/11 puts paid to that notion, but of the Top 5, 3 of them were in Perth.

Starfighter

Once again it has to be asked why we continue to schedule matches against them there.