• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was pretty clear that Starc was aiming for that crack given his line. It was a good ball.

I'm not going to criticise a bowler for bowling to exploit the pitch and being successful for it.

This pitch is an amalgamation of every single WACA wicket before it. It's fast, has trampoline bounce but was a road if you got in. It also has cracks that are opening up on the last two days. Top WACA wicket IMO.

Smith again the real difference between the two teams.

I can't think of the last time I saw 5 lbws in the same innings. I can't ever remember it happening at the WACA.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that's definitely wrong. You're confusing Herath with Jadeja. Fatty has one of the best arm balls ever.
No, you're wrong. Herath's straight delivery spins sideways like his normal one. He varies his arm position a little and sometimes cuts slightly more under the ball, which may sometimes land it on the shiny side where it won't grip, but he always relies on chance that the ball doesn't grip i.e. natural variation. The same goes for Shakib's (non-)arm ball, he tends to go more round arm and force it through but it's still chance that the ball doesn't turn.

An arm ball is forced out the front of the hand rather than off the side and is seam up, and swings into the batsmen (if around the wicket) before continuing straight, giving the appearance of drift. It's not often bowled because using natural variation is way easier and a true arm ball is relatively easily picked by a good batsman.

The best example is Murray Bennett's to Viv Richards, you can clearly see the release in the slow mo. I've never seen Herath bowl one and to my knowledge he never has.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, you're wrong. Herath's straight delivery spins sideways like his normal one. He varies his arm position a little and sometimes cuts slightly more under the ball, which may sometimes land it on the shiny side where it won't grip, but he always relies on chance that the ball doesn't grip i.e. natural variation. The same goes for Shakib's (non-)arm ball, he tends to go more round arm and force it through but it's still chance that the ball doesn't turn.

An arm ball is forced out the front of the hand rather than off the side and is seam up, and swings into the batsmen (if around the wicket) before continuing straight, giving the appearance of drift. It's not often bowled because using natural variation is way easier and a true arm ball is relatively easily picked by a good batsman.

The best example is Murray Bennett's to Viv Richards, you can clearly see the release in the slow mo. I've never seen Herath bowl one and to my knowledge he never has.
Great post. You very rarely see anyone bowl an actual arm ball these days.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well in that case the first thing to do is obvious. You know how the Americans in World War 2 put all the Japanese in horrible camps because they were a threat to national security after they bombed the American fleet? Just copy that, maybe give them their own team like the Americans did too.

I'm not entirely kidding, do that, burn all the academies and then maybe give the English players more games.
I am a big supporter of the big glitzy overseas signings (only one per team permitted) like Sangakarra. It is one of the reasons I'm a huge fan of county cricket. It is these kolpaker/dodgy passport guys who clog up certain teams like Gloucestshire and Glamorgan who are the problem.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
My guess all over by lunch. Australian bowlers have been excellent in the first session of the day all series.

Spikey

as always I believe the team batting should be able to do enough to draw the match and will be disappointed when they don't

(admittedly I'm not as firm in my belief due to them being 4 down instead of 3)

flibbertyjibber

Break this partnership and it is over within an hour and a half. Be nice to show some fight for once but not expecting it from Moeen or Woakes and the rest will be blasted away.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Listening to post-mortems with the England set-up and they seemed to have put their entire faith in cracks opening up when bowling. That was as advanced a plan they had!

vcs

SL ground out a draw (albeit on a complete flat wicket) recently, I would like to see some fight and application from the English batsmen tomorrow. They will probably go down some time after lunch though.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
How the **** did Starc do that?

Nah I've seen England in this position so many times in the last few years and we always fold.

flibbertyjibber

Nah I've seen England in this position so many times in the last few years and we always fold.
Will hurt even more when this pair fight for ages and both get out for 60 odd then the rest surrender meekly before rain comes 10 minutes after the game ends.

Tannhauser

Cricket Spectator
I give it half an hour in the morning.

The usual gutless response from England. Heads need to roll after this tour. Why is a one-day coach running England's Test strategy? That's working well isn't it?