• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bairstow presented with his dad's keeping gloves from 79 tour.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Thirty-nine years ago, a young boy called Andrew Johns won a pair of kids' wicketkeeping gloves signed by England's David Bairstow.

On day three at Adelaide Oval, Mr Johns was lucky enough to catch up with Bairstow's son, Jonny, and gifted him his precious keepsake in a moment that lit up the England man's Test.

Speaking to Grandstand, Mr Johns told of the lucky circumstances that led to their meeting.

"I've had them for 39 years … my mum and dad took me to West Lakes shopping centre [in Adelaide] and the English cricket team were there to meet," he said.

"They had a little quiz — they asked who the reserve wicketkeeper was for England and I shot my hand up, and said David Bairstow, and they gave them a pair of gloves and he signed them.

"I've had them sitting in a box for the last 39 years."

Mr Johns said he had always followed David Bairstow because he had his gloves and autograph.

Bairstow Sr took his own life when his son was eight years old.

Mr Johns — who was born in England before his family moved to Australia in 1966 — said he had always vowed that if Jonny Bairstow ever came to Adelaide he would try to make contact — but when he looked up Instagram and saw the England 'keeper had 100,000 followers, he had little expectation of a response to his message.

"I got a message back that night saying, 'It would be nice to meet you', from his management or whatever," Mr Johns said.

"I went to bed, woke up at 6:00am, I had a message saying: 'I'd love to meet you, I'm staying just across from the ground'.

"I came in, I brought [the gloves] with me. I was early, quite excited to meet him, and sent him a message saying: 'I'm here'.

"He came out two minutes later, and we had a good half an hour, 45 minutes together which was wonderful.

"He was quite emotional to receive the gloves, it was really lovely.

The Ashes: Jonny Bairstow blown away by gift of dead father's old gloves - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Attachments

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
There is also a soundcloud link on there.

Thought it was a lovely bit of news after all the headbuttgate stuff.