• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does English cricket have an image problem?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thread inspired by an Aggers article I read a few minutes ago.

I've been nothing more than a casual fan since...well about 2009 I guess, and so I know comparatively little about most of the players these days. But apart from the players that were around back then (i.e. Cook, Anderson and Broad), and Root, so many of the current squad strike me as a bunch of laddish pillocks.

Very hard to support. Haven't quite reached full-on supporting of Australia, but the best I can feel about this current England team is ambivalence.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I think England should drink more personally. Worked in Both and Gower's day. Pissed as farts yet beat India and the Aussies away.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The only players to debut in the last five years who I really feel much affinity for are Root, Woakes and Moeen. Not sure I'll still really support England when Cook, Broad and Anderson retire.

I always assumed this was just me though, partly the result of losing a little bit of interest in the sport around 2013/14 and the fact that players who emerge when you're an adult just aren't the same as players who emerge when you're a kid.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbf the team doesn't inspire that much love at all. The combined personality of a brick.

Cow

Banned
They lack the humility of Glenn Maxwell or the charm and sophistication of Warner and Starc.

Cow

Banned
It's a pity Bresnan no longer features for the side.
Bresnan was marvellous at the MCG in 2010. I remember TripleM favourable comparing him to Melbournite Eric Bana during that test. Both in achievements and *** appeal.

Anderson performance on day one of the 2010 test was the greatest anyone had ever seen at the MCG (AFL included).

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I do not really support the one-day team because of Morgan and Hales although I couldn't give two ****s about limited overs cricket at the best of times so I do not know how much of that is valid.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They lack the humility of Glenn Maxwell or the charm and sophistication of Warner and Starc.
Starc is tough, Maxwell is too intelligent for cricket and Warner is a published author.

England cricket can never amount to that.