• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI from the first test

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
After two,

Warner
Stoneman (just beats Bancroft to this position but I'm not confident about the openers staying around long as both play their shots!)
Root (bugger has to play there whether he likes it or not)
Smith
S. Marsh
Bairstow+
Cummins (on our two test evidence the bloke is a bona fide all-rounder so I'm treating him as such.)
Starc (just beats Overton)
Lyon*
Hazlewood
Anderson

12th Man: Overton

I've had to resort to five bowlers based upon the premise of playing to one's strengths as the batting stinks. One alternative to this would be the removal of Starc and somebody like Malan, Bancroft or Paine being placed above Cummins. Either way...

What with Root's putting Australia in and England not following-on - not to mention Smith's generous declaration - both captains have been utterly awful so I've thrown the armband to Lyon for no other reason that he doesn't seem to be able to do anything wrong right now!

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Why have you gone with the second best keeper of the series?.
Didn't Paine drop an absolute sitter, Vince I think at the Gabba? Then because Bairstow has been (marginally) the better of the two. I'm not exactly fussed either way though.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After two,

Warner
Stoneman (just beats Bancroft to this position but I'm not confident about the openers staying around long as both play their shots!)
Root (bugger has to play there whether he likes it or not)
Smith
S. Marsh
Bairstow+
Cummins (on our two test evidence the bloke is a bona fide all-rounder so I'm treating him as such.)
Starc (just beats Overton)
Lyon*
Hazlewood
Anderson

12th Man: Overton

I've had to resort to five bowlers based upon the premise of playing to one's strengths as the batting stinks. One alternative to this would be the removal of Starc and somebody like Malan, Bancroft or Paine being placed above Cummins. Either way...

What with Root's putting Australia in and England not following-on - not to mention Smith's generous declaration - both captains have been utterly awful so I've thrown the armband to Lyon for no other reason that he doesn't seem to be able to do anything wrong right now!
That's fair reasoning. One could even argue that you're picking Cummins for his batting anyway since he's been better than some batsmen.

And :lol: at your reasoning for Root batting 3.

TNT

Banned
After 3 tests (we know this one is over)WarnerKhawagaSMarshSmith *MalanMMarshCumminsPaineStarcLyonHazelwood12th Anderson

Last edited:

stephen

Warner
Stoneman
Smith (c)
Malan
S Marsh
M Marsh
Bairstow (w/k)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Anderson

Cummins (12th)

stephen

Cummins to replace Anderson for his batting. Anderson has only got wickets after the match has been decided.
Nah Anderson has been significantly more effective than Cummins across the series. I expect that will change by the end of the tour though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Feels about right at 7 Aussies to 4 Englishmen.

Now you're just getting greedy.
I would have Cummins ahead of Anderson too tbh. Cummins has been consistently excellent without luck, Anderson has been consistently ordinary with a couple of wicket-taking spells when he's had the most assistance and at meaningless times of the game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Consistently ordinary is harsh. He's bowled accurately and kept it tight at least.

Mind you, Cummins still probably does get in because of his batting, which really has been very useful.