• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to see Sayers because:

a) he's performed very well and is a damned good bowler.

b) I'm curious about how fast he actually bowls.

Unfortunately the likely range of answers to the latter point discounts him in Lehmannland.

Woodster

International Captain

Unfortunately the likely range of answers to the latter point discounts him in Lehmannland.
Seems like the type of bowler England would struggle against, you could suggest that is any type of bowler currently, but his type more so than others if the conditions are to be what they are expecting, especially at evening.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Chadd wouldn't disgrace himself but there's noone you'd drop for Adelaide if all are fit. On that, I'm wondering how Starc is travelling.

Starfighter

I'd love to leave out Starc because I think he's overrated and I just dislike him, but a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. He creates footmarks for Lyon which is another plus point.

adub

International Captain
I'd love to leave out Starc because I think he's overrated and I just dislike him, but a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. He creates footmarks for Lyon which is another plus point.
and he'll probably turn around and take an 8-fer just to spite you

Spikey

i have a scorching hot take about starc

he's gets underrated by some because everytime he bowls a bad over or spell some people go completely ****ing insane as if he just destroyed the stonecutter's hallowed sacred parchment or something

Gnske

His body of work in tests is disappointing for what he might do.

His pitch map is like watching Dresden getting bombed when he has a red ball in hand.

flibbertyjibber

Given the fitness records of the ones in the side he will get a chance at some stage in the series.

Gob

International Coach
You must have fallen on your head as a baby if you leave Mitchell Starc out for an Adeilaide day nighter. Chadd is a fine bowler but he has no business playing unless someone breaks something.

Starfighter

You must have fallen on your head as a baby if you leave Mitchell Starc out for an Adeilaide day nighter. Chadd is a fine bowler but he has no business playing unless someone breaks something.
Jeez, do you have to take everything so seriously? I realistically wouldn't leave him out, but I think people tend to ascribe him a quality which isn't there. Nong.

Gob

International Coach
Jeez, do you have to take everything so seriously? I realistically wouldn't leave him out, but I think people tend to ascribe him a quality which isn't there. Nong.
And that quality being? Bloke averages 28 while striking it less than 50.

stephen

How many Aussies think Sayers should get the nod for this Test ? Could be a preventative and careful resting of one of the quicks or is it more a case of let's try and get this series wrapped up as soon as possible with the three main quicks ? Or would Sayers represent a better selection on this pitch and in these conditions to get that 2-0 lead heading into Perth ?
Always play your best team in tests. So no, Sayers does not play. If another bowler must be picked due to injury Bird should bowl.

Woodster

International Captain
Always play your best team in tests. So no, Sayers does not play. If another bowler must be picked due to injury Bird should bowl.
I'd agree mate, just didn't know whether some thought he would be in the best XI for a day/night Test at Adelaide and with an eye on the fitness of these guys whether they need wrapping in cotton wool or if you don't change the side to include a 'horses for courses' selection.

Starfighter

And that quality being? Bloke averages 28 while striking it less than 50.
People (not necessarily on here) talk about him as if he's on the level of someone who averages 23 or 24. He's simply not. 28, although good, especially these days, is nothing special at all.

vcs

Starc is fine. He was kind of underwhelming against SA and Pakistan last year but still instrumental in the important moments (getting Shafiq with a brutal delivery in Brisbane, triggering their last day collapse in Melbourne). Australia can afford to carry him through his wayward spells given his match-winning impact.

Gob

International Coach
People (not necessarily on here) talk about him as if he's on the level of someone who averages 23 or 24. He's simply not. 28, although good, especially these days, is nothing special at all.
Its mainly due to all the attributes he possess. Can't think of any fast bowler in the world with a higher ceiling so inevitable people get lured in to expectation that he should bowl like Wasim everytime. Even in the last test when he supposedly bowled poorly he still took six wickets for the match. Calls for him to be dropped for Sayers is ludicrous to say the least.