• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

Spark

Global Moderator
That sounds pretty right. Which is where the extra yard of pace for the Aussie quicks becomes a big advantage. There seems to be plenty of big scores in the D/N tests played so far (bar the 1st one) but also lots of low scores which seems to indicate that once you get used to picking it up you can play the pink ball fine, but it can be tough at the start.
Imagine if 2013/14 had been a day/night Test.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasn't the ball doing a fair bit in the D/N against NZ?
Was the first one though, where the curators overcompensated and produced a very grassy pitch to protect the pink ball. Once they realised that it could hold up OK regardless of the conditions it's mostly been a case of "very possible to score runs but prone to collapses".

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep the first d/n test use 6mm grass and the last one used 2mm. Made a huge amount of difference to the conditions for the quicks.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like a bit of rain around for the first few days. Cold too....usually the Adelaide test coincides with a **** off heatwave.

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

Compton

International Debutant
Was the first one though, where the curators overcompensated and produced a very grassy pitch to protect the pink ball. Once they realised that it could hold up OK regardless of the conditions it's mostly been a case of "very possible to score runs but prone to collapses".
“Very possible to score runs but prone to collapses: A story of Australian cricket 2010-present”

stephen

Seeing those temperatures described as cold makes me feel physically sick. The “feels like” temperature near me hasn’t been a positive number in days.
As a Queenslanders, that's not just child mate it's bloody freezing.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Seeing those temperatures described as cold makes me feel physically sick. The “feels like” temperature near me hasn’t been a positive number in days.
Haha, that Wednesday temp is more what you'd expect for an Adelaide test match.......the 21's of Sat/Sun will feel very chilly.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Listened to the Sky Sports pod this morning and a couple of them suggested Crane comes in for Ball. Can we not.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's kind of weird, but I really hope this test goes the distance. It's not the same when our team is kinda average and it's just a battle between two turds. Bit different to when you assemble one of the greatest teams of all time or the wrecking ball of Johnson and Rhino.

Starfighter

Listened to the Sky Sports pod this morning and a couple of them suggested Crane comes in for Ball. Can we not.
I remember the last time a leg spinner played at Adelaide. They had a record breaking match: 0/260 (worst ever match figures).

Yes I suppose you might point out Shamsi being a wrist spinner and all, but 2/150 wasn't exactly an impressive match either.

Starfighter

Think he'd do better facing Smith? And as bad as Tahir was, I reckon Crane's worse.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Smith isn't as destructive against spin as Clarke was. You really couldn't bowl to him at all once set, he'd be hitting you for a boundary every over.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf, that's because Tahir's a pretty bad test bowler and he was facing 2012 Michael Clarke.
Smith isn't as destructive against spin as Clarke was. You really couldn't bowl to him at all once set, he'd be hitting you for a boundary every over.
This is true. That season's Michael Clarke was making 200+ in a day for fun. Smith would probably make a solid 130 not out.

mr_mister

People who are candidates for a dropping for the third test if they don't make a 50 in either innings(something like a Moeen 38 and 40 would be a different story of course), especially if we don't win

Handscome
Usman
Smarsh