• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

Woodster

International Captain
As you say Groundking, this is going to happen, at least not yet anyway. But what a difference Stokes makes to the batting and bowling should he return at any point. What has been our strength in recent times once again looks daunting for the opposition with Stokes, Bairstow, Moeen and Woakes batting from six to nine.

Throw in Stokes' aggression with the ball and his ability to hoop it if conditions are right, and the bonus of his outstanding fielding. But this isn't anything new that we don't know and he's only himself to blame.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep, Overton in for Ball is basically all we can do. Kind of got missed with the whole Stokes thing but it is a real shame Roland-Jones got injured.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Does international experience really matter if it's all ****? **** is **** and Overton at least has a chance of being better. It can't hurt.
I agree, it can't hurt but I don't like a 1 test and done approach. I'm not sure if Overton brings anything Ball does...is he really that much quicker? They both have similar FC stats and performances from what I've seen. It still boggles my mind Porter didn't get a step in the squad. England's own fault for bringing the wrong guys along.

It doesn't matter, we know Ball is naff at international level, and one of our biggest problems in the most recent test is being unable to sustain pressure on Australia, particularily when it looked like Anderson might be injured so Root was (incorrectly) saving Broad and over bowled Woakes and Ball. Also Overton can actually hold a bat unlike Ball so helps lengthen our tail a little bit.

We've tried lots and lots and lots of various bats over the years and at least Stoneman, Vince and Malan actually stood up and made some runs in the first innings so deserve another chance IMO, and the only way we're going to be able to confidently say we're going to be able ot strenthen our batting is bringing Stokes back in for Ball so our batting line up is as follows;

Cook
Stoneman
Vince
Root
Malan
Stokes
Bairstow
Moeen
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

But we all know that this isn't going to happen so it's stupid.
I just can not condone a Stokes return while investigations are still ongoing. Plus he hasn't been particularly good with the ball of late apart from a couple of spells. We don't need bowlers who can get a good spell, we need bowlers that can ball long and consistently world class. I guess he helps out with the batting but no more or less than Ali tbh.

I agree about the newbies doing OK but again, 3 batsmen doing OK does not win tests and they were all absent second time round. However, there is something to build on, as long as England play Lyons better than they did before AND are not rash in trying to score big shots.

Bijed

International Regular
I agree, it can't hurt but I don't like a 1 test and done approach. I'm not sure if Overton brings anything Ball does...is he really that much quicker? They both have similar FC stats and performances from what I've seen. It still boggles my mind Porter didn't get a step in the squad. England's own fault for bringing the wrong guys along.

I just can not condone a Stokes return while investigations are still ongoing. Plus he hasn't been particularly good with the ball of late apart from a couple of spells. We don't need bowlers who can get a good spell, we need bowlers that can ball long and consistently world class. I guess he helps out with the batting but no more or less than Ali tbh.

I agree about the newbies doing OK but again, 3 batsmen doing OK does not win tests and they were all absent second time round. However, there is something to build on, as long as England play Lyons better than they did before AND are not rash in trying to score big shots.
I don't disagree, but if Stokes were to hypothetically replace Ball, he'd still be quite a bit better wrt bowling and would be a huge upgrade on batting. Throw in the fielding and Stokes in for Ball would improve the team massively, if it happened.

I would also expect Overton to be a step up overall, if only with the bat

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
If England don't put up a fight here, it's going to be a really long tour for them
Putting up a fight in Adelaide is actually symptomatic of an oncoming whitewash. If the past two incidents are what we are going on.

SeamUp

International Coach
How much longer does England give Dawid Malan ?

There is just something I can't quite like about him at test level. 6 matches and an average of 24.90 as a 30 year-old with a FC average of 37.

I know it's harsh when Vince is there & Stoneman hasn't been amazing yet.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
How much longer does England give Dawid Malan ?

There is just something I can't quite like about him at test level. 6 matches and an average of 24.90 as a 30 year-old with a FC average of 37.

I know it's harsh when Vince is there & Stoneman hasn't been amazing yet.
I was really impressed with him in the first innings at Brisbane, up until his ill-advised hook shot, but I do know where you’re coming from.

You’d think it’s unlikely that we’re going to see a man scoring runs consistently in Test cricket and most of his innings so far have looked a bit of a battle. But, as we know, good batting options are pretty limited for England at the moment so I guess it makes sense for the selectors to show confidence in him and maintain some continuity in selection.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
“I agree, it can't hurt but I don't like a 1 test and done approach. I'm not sure if Overton brings anything Ball does...is he really that much quicker? They both have similar FC stats and performances from what I've seen. It still boggles my mind Porter didn't get a step in the squad. England's own fault for bringing the wrong guys along.”

Both Jamie Porter & Toby Roland Jones would have been in my squad. Unfortunate that both have stress fracture injuries. Think they would have gone well. Also think Ben Foakes is an excellent cricketer who could keep wicket, bat at 7, which allows Bairstow to bat at 5. That’s dropping David Malan, who has done ok so far, but getting right handlers into the batting order to nullify Nathan Lyon who looks the most dangerous bowler on either side. We are terrible against spin. I think we could see off the pace bowlers. Bet we don’t chang3 anything!

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ball is a better bowler than Stokes imo.

Was very surprised they picked Ball over Overton first test though. Ball barely had any game time due to injury. Doesn't say much for the management's faith in Overton. I know Overton is not express (with Ball quicker), but it had to be a kick in the teeth for Ball to get selected ahead of him.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Absolutely no chance Ball is a better bowler than Stokes at this level, not at all- the real question is if Mark Wood can prove his fitness because he's the only one with something else. Other main problem for England is Bairstow being wasted down the order, just feels like throwing away much needed runs with this top order and him sitting down there forced to play stupid shots because he's stuck with the tail and hurrying.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm trying to think back to last year - wasn't there a lot less swing and seam movement in the evening than the year before? I seem to recall they left a fair bit less grass on the deck than the year before as the pink ball now holds up ok.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Wood is clearly different to the others, and in a way that would seem to suit conditions down under. He looks terrific early this summer against the Saffers and he'll add a lot if healthy. Crane on the other hand is definitely a weird one, especially with Rashid just sitting there. Also I wouldn't take out Woakes at this point just because he's better with the bat than any other option, at least until you can fix the top order somehow.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wood really shouldn't be rushed back. Just as pedestrian as Ball when he's not fit.
Yeah some of people on here have been overly harsh on Wood (probably because of S.Kennedy) but having sat through innocuous spell after innocuous spell at Trent Bridge I don't want him anywhere near the side unless he is actually fit and bowling the sort of speeds he is supposed to be able to.